A near miss in the shower

Post your thoughts and ideas on safety here.
Shannon SteelSlave

A near miss in the shower

Post by Shannon SteelSlave »

I didn't know where else to post this, if it even belongs anywhere on this board, but I think I should share.
I was taking a shower and I suddenly slipped. I wasn't fooling around or anything. My Martial Arts instincts kicked in, and I caught myself by sides of my claw foot tub, only bruising my left forearm, elbow, upper back, left knee, ball of my right foot, and my right palm. If you ever have to fall backward, the right way is to try to "slap" the ground as you come down with your hands at your sides.
It scared the Sugar Honey Iced Tea out of me and I would like to ask for advice on how to treat my tub to prevent this. I have one of those plastic rubber mats there now. I am still shaken mentally, my bruises will heal in a few days. I have been pushed to the ground from behind on the street once (Land on your forearms for a front fall, if you can, I landed on outstretched palms, which could have broken my wrists, but thankfully didn't that day) and had to start self defense from that position, and that didn't scare me the way this did. Hope to shake it off soon and do some work tonight. Hope this story helps people and brings me some good advice.
Bondage is like a foreign film without subtitles. Only through sharing and practice can we hope to understand.
A Jedi uses bondage for knowledge and defense, never for attack.
I am so smart! I am so smart! S-M-R-T!....I, I mean S-M-A-R-T!
👠👠
bound_jenny

Re: A near miss in the shower

Post by bound_jenny »

I had a scare in that very same circumstance, once, a dozen or so years ago. I started slipping in the shower, but I eventually managed to stay on my feet after some very frightening seconds of tap dancing in the tub. :shock:

It was on one of those rubber anti-slip mats with the suckers on the bottom. It was quite effective at preventing me from slipping on the mat but quite dismal at not slipping on the tub's surface.

I threw the blasted thing out. My bare foot stuck better to the tub than that stupid mat (I tested that). :roll:

A better option is those big ugly sticky-back rubber flowers that you stick to the bottom of the tub. At least they don't slip by themselves.

I know that it's done with some tubs at the factory (thanks to How It's Made), but it might be possible to do it with an already installed tub. Some kind of sand is sprinkled over a stencil pattern laid on the bottom of the tub, and then a coating of enamel or something like that is sprayed over that to seal it in and form a rough, patterned surface in the bottom of the tub. Some companies can re-coat your tub in place.

Hope this helps.

Jenny.
Helplessness is a doorway to the innermost reaches of the soul.
If my corset isn't tight, it just isn't right!
Kink is the spice of life!
Come to the Dark Side - we have cookies!
Gregovic

Post by Gregovic »

Yep, that'll get your heartrate up a few notches. Nearly cracked my head open myself once. There are product like this TubGrip for instance to give more grip in the bathtub. I don't know how well it works, as I've never used it myself. I picked textured, somewhat grippy tiles specifically designed for bathroom use for the floor in my bathroom and shower for this exact reason. I suspect that like with any non-slip surface it probably requires a scrub with a stiff brush every once in a while.
How may I serve you? *Curtsey*
Shannon SteelSlave

Taken care of the problem, though now I am in doubt if I should have done anything. If I had hit my head, I might have had a vision, a revelation, and invented the flux capacitor.
Anyway, any shower/tub players out there, be careful. Easy to suddenly lose traction and fall, especially if tied or being suspended in a way that requires you to remain standing. Probably not easy to crawl out of if wet.
Bondage is like a foreign film without subtitles. Only through sharing and practice can we hope to understand.
👠👠
naughty_nellie

Post by naughty_nellie »

Yes, I am late to this party, but I believe I know what Dr Sheldon Cooper would say...
Attachments
lack of ducks.jpg
Shannon SteelSlave

I was so scared when this happened, I reached out to my friends here. Plus I thought it would be a good point to bring up, something to think of if playing in the shower. But mostly just wanted some support. Might have been improper use of the forum.
👠👠
bound_jenny

Post by bound_jenny »

Shannon SteelSlave wrote: 30 Nov 2023, 01:41 Might have been improper use of the forum.
Rubbish!

You came to your good friends for support and advice. Even if it's unrelated to bondage.

We're always here, Shannon. :love:

Jenny.
Riddle

Post by Riddle »

Shannon SteelSlave wrote: 30 Nov 2023, 01:41 I was so scared when this happened, I reached out to my friends here. Plus I thought it would be a good point to bring up, something to think of if playing in the shower. But mostly just wanted some support. Might have been improper use of the forum.
I like to think of this forum as a friendly, helpful, and supportive community; the members here have proven this to me for over a decade now. So, definitely not an improper use of the forum.

So, do you have adhesive ducks? Or is there something better?
Resident timer maker. :hi:
Let’s make timers together!
Shannon SteelSlave

Something better. I think you know what it is.
👠👠
bounddosster

Post by bounddosster »

bound_jenny wrote: 30 Nov 2023, 01:58
Shannon SteelSlave wrote: 30 Nov 2023, 01:41 Might have been improper use of the forum.
Rubbish!

You came to your good friends for support and advice. Even if it's unrelated to bondage.

We're always here, Shannon. :love:

Jenny.
I like to think the same.

As regard to slippery showers I find the worse problem is the stuff you use to wash with, all those shower gels etc.
My wife insists on using the stuff and if I use the bath/shower after her it's often slippery, personally I just stick with the good old bar of soap. Sure it's slippery also but I find the residue from it rinses away much faster than those fancy gels and it's much better for the planet with no plastic waste to throw away or recycle so I can feel smug doing my bit. But I still won't be buying an electric car.
That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.
bound_jenny

Post by bound_jenny »

bounddosster wrote: 01 Dec 2023, 13:08 But I still won't be buying an electric car.
From what I heard today, that electric cars have on average 79% more problems than gasoline cars. Methinks they haven't quite mastered the newfangled doohickeys and diddywops that go into them. :lol:

But apparently hybrids have less problems.

For a Fred Flintstone solution, get an electric eel and a dino-hamster in a wheel-cage. Eel shocks the dino-hamster, which runs inside the wheel-cage, making the car go. All that on decaf! :facepalm: :mrgreen: :rofl:

Jenny.
kinbaku

Post by kinbaku »

bound_jenny wrote: 02 Dec 2023, 02:28 For a Fred Flintstone solution, get an electric eel and a dino-hamster in a wheel-cage. Eel shocks the dino-hamster, which runs inside the wheel-cage, making the car go. All that on decaf! :facepalm: :mrgreen: :rofl:

Jenny.
If you give the dino-hamster a lot of coffee, he will run faster.
bounddosster

Post by bounddosster »

kinbaku wrote: 02 Dec 2023, 12:18
bound_jenny wrote: 02 Dec 2023, 02:28 For a Fred Flintstone solution, get an electric eel and a dino-hamster in a wheel-cage. Eel shocks the dino-hamster, which runs inside the wheel-cage, making the car go. All that on decaf! :facepalm: :mrgreen: :rofl:

Jenny.
Not on decaf. At least it don't work that way for me.
That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.
bound_jenny

Post by bound_jenny »

bounddosster wrote: 02 Dec 2023, 12:39

Jenny.
I was on decaf when I wrote that... :facepalm: :mrgreen: :rofl:

Jenny.
Blacky

Post by Blacky »

bound_jenny wrote: 03 Dec 2023, 02:05
bounddosster wrote: 02 Dec 2023, 12:39
I was on decaf when I wrote that... :facepalm: :mrgreen: :rofl:

Jenny.
But what was the hamster on? :?: :roll:
If the doors of perception were cleansed everything would appear to man as it is, infinite. (W. Blake)