Pressure against chest - Dangerous?

Post your thoughts and ideas on safety here.
Zxarr

Pressure against chest - Dangerous?

Post by Zxarr »

I just got an idea to a self-bondage scenario, and wonder if it is dangerous;

Under mattresses, there are these wooden planks covering the hole between the floor and the bed, securing the mattress won't fall right through the frame. I was thinking of lifting the mattress away, and somehow put 4-5 belts where I can tie myself up to the underside of those planks(Probably being in need of elevating the bed by a few inches) with a belt, putting one belt at the feet, one at knee, one at stomach(Or so) and one at the chest Will a belt at chest/stomach consisting of nearly my own bodyweight have a chance of causing blackout/Breathing problems?

And also - Which may get a bit kinky to explain to people I live with, may the planks break(More likely to happen than the above as far as I know(:P))
anna
Site Admin

Post by anna »

Generally speaking any pressure on the chest can cause breathing problems and blackout. Breathing problem can come very quickly and the result can be deadly. Especially in situations where you might fall or strangle yourself when you faint.
bound_jenny

Post by bound_jenny »

As long as you don't really tighten the chest belt, it shouldn't cause more of a problem than lying on your belly. It will be uncomfortable because the weight is on a small strip. Maybe two belts will help, but beware if something fails. You'll fall and possibly break something (nose, tooth, etc.). That's my main worry here.

Jenny.
Helplessness is a doorway to the innermost reaches of the soul.
If my corset isn't tight, it just isn't right!
Kink is the spice of life!
Come to the Dark Side - we have cookies!
Zxarr

Post by Zxarr »

Mm, just put some soft rugs under, and it'll probably be fine, I think.
bound_jenny

Post by bound_jenny »

Zxarr wrote:Mm, just put some soft rugs under, and it'll probably be fine, I think.
Rugs are not enough to cushion a fall even from a few inches. Kinetic energy is more powerful than you think, and your head is a lot heavier than you think.

Solo suspension bondage is very risky, and a failure will happen when you least expect it. Belts are not necessarily solid, either. At your own risk.

Jenny.
Grinser

Post by Grinser »

Should be quite safe, at least the breathing issue, but the risk is definitively higher than with other scenarios. Always depends on your constitution, of course. If you are quite heavy, not very muscular and already have breathing problems, this could be a suicide commando. If you are slim and well-muscled and in good health, I don`t see any major problems.
But regarding the bed frame - those boards you want to put weight onto are usually just clamped in place and held by their own tension. If you push onto them (when lying on the bed...) they are pushed into their fittings, but if you pull them, especially from under the bed, they might slip out quite easily.
There is a beast inside man that should be exercised, not exorcised.
Zxarr

Post by Zxarr »

I'm not very heavy, but not very muscular either.
Also, planks slipping out wouldn't be a concern. It is the thing that they might break(Laws of physics, if you apply weight to a plank - It is most likely to break if you apply it to the middle(Thats what karate people do to break planks))

New idea: Put a pillow under my head, and head should be fine. I'm just mostly worried about if a belt or a rope pushes against chest with my own bodyweight, that it might give me breathingproblems or similar.
ponylady

Post by ponylady »

Grinser wrote: But regarding the bed frame - those boards you want to put weight onto are usually just clamped in place and held by their own tension. If you push onto them (when lying on the bed...) they are pushed into their fittings, but if you pull them, especially from under the bed, they might slip out quite easily.
the major problem is those planks com with a bow-tension to increase
the weight they can absorb. while this is nice when sleeping, putting torque
on them from the opposite site means you are tearing at them from a direction where they are not supposed to handle stress. they probably
can take only 20-25% of the weight/torque against the bow as they can handle with the bow they were designed for.

try this scenario: if you have a solid bedframe you can use "bondage-bars"
to "suspend" yourself. *"bondage bars" means those adjustable horizontal bars you usally use for chin-ups. these are way better equipped to support your weight. the problem is how much can your bed's frame absorb ?*
Grinser

Post by Grinser »

I am so happy to have found my bed. Its completely made of cast iron and head and foot end are decorated with very useful cross bars. It almost seems to shout "I am here, go tie somebody to me". No squeaking, no splintering, no bending and absolutely no breaking. And it looks nice as well.
There is a beast inside man that should be exercised, not exorcised.
Zxarr

Post by Zxarr »

Tested putting a feet on one of the support planks, turned out that it CLEARLY wouldn't be able to support me. Ah well, Had to resort to a spread-eagle instead.
Bound&Helpless

Post by Bound&Helpless »

Thats interesting, it cant support your weight without the matress off but when its on, theres no problem at all..

My bed has got a metal frame so if i take the matress off there should be no problem
bound_jenny

Post by bound_jenny »

Bound&Helpless wrote:Thats interesting, it cant support your weight without the matress off but when its on, theres no problem at all.
The mattress spreads the weight out over the length of the plank. Putting one foot on it places the stress in a single point.

Jenny.
goddessloviatar

Post by goddessloviatar »

I have seen lots of suspension bondage in the past, but i wouldn't try this without trying it first in the company of someone who knew what was going on. In theory some kind of chest harness would distribute the weight adequately, but I would not try this on my own!
curious_sb
Retired Moderator

Post by curious_sb »

Supposing we are discussing this in context of a self bondage ie solo session, I have to say yeeaaahhhhhhh hhmmmmm Im not 100% sure this sounds very safe....I back up what Anna says.
Curious_SB
Retired Forum Moderator
ydal

-Deleted-

Post by ydal »

-Deleted-
Last edited by ydal on 12 May 2014, 02:55, edited 1 time in total.