handcuff safety

Post your thoughts and ideas on safety here.
steelbound773

handcuff safety

Post by steelbound773 »

My first self-bondage session with handcuffs was almost my last.
these were the days before the internet and I didn't know about double locking the cuffs. My method was simple but I got in to trouble In a big room about 40 feet X 35 feet I threw the key over my shoulder then with
my legs bound by belts in a frog tie, and my mouth gagged I locked my hands behind my back as I lay on the bed. Well after about an hour of gratifying myself I was ready to search for the key by the way my eyes were also taped so it was a challenge to find the key. Also the only door was locked and it could only de opened if someone was standing up which I couldn't do in this state. Anyway as I slid off the bed my foot got tangled
in the blanket and it flipped me on my back, and you guessed it instantly both wrist were now in a vise. My circulation was all but shut off and immediately began to panic, I screamed if my gag but it was no good because no one would have heard me anyway no one was coming around till tomorrow so I was screwed. I knew by the time some one found me my hands would be black and have to be amputated! I cried, then in a burst of anger I summoned all the strength I could muster and thank my stars that I regularly worked out I was able to break the two belts that held my legs, I had tried this before and couldn't, but my life wasn't on the line.
I was able to stand up feel my way to the door and go to the other room were my other key was one the table.
I still had some nerve damage after six months and I learned my lesson stronger belts and double lock the cuffs, Be careful
curious_sb
Retired Moderator

Post by curious_sb »

try to use rope where you can, or chains and padlocks, I never got on with cuffs, the metal is so unforgiving it can really dig in, and tbh pain has never done anything for me in that sense.
Curious_SB
Retired Forum Moderator
bound_jenny

Post by bound_jenny »

I never liked handcuffs either. I have a pre-measured coil of rope that goes on my wrists, expressly measured to never cut off circulation.

Jenny.
Helplessness is a doorway to the innermost reaches of the soul.
If my corset isn't tight, it just isn't right!
Kink is the spice of life!
Come to the Dark Side - we have cookies!
ponylady

Post by ponylady »

you already said said it, but to make it plain & clear.

SSC stands for "safe, sane & consensual" in BDSM play.

for selfbondage it should be BSTS : "better safe than sorry".

ropes can almost allways be cut with a knife, but chains ?
so make sure you double- & triplecheck before closing that last lock.
Bound&Helpless

Post by Bound&Helpless »

bound_jenny wrote:I never liked handcuffs either.
Jenny.
I agree, locking leather wrist straps are far better
mistylain

Re: handcuff saftey

Post by mistylain »

I dont like cuffs behind my back. Infront ok but not behind. Leather cuffs are best and safer.
Bettina

Post by Bettina »

Sometimes I do love it to be tied up with handcuffs! Sure they are unforgiving, hard and not really comfortable. But there isnoother bondage item, which gives me that exciting feeling of imprisonment and the sound of the clicking is unbelieveable.

Bettina.
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

I have a pair of locking leather cuffs and a pair of police issue handcuffs. They each have their use, and in my opinion both are completly safe. The leather obviously is cuttable in an emergency(probably by another person though) and once locked with a padlock will not tighten, and the metal cuffs double lock to stop any tightening. I've jumped in the double locked cuffs and cant get them to ratchet, very reliable.

Although i did have a 'fun' experience with cuffing myself behind my back, and later realising once i had my key that i put the keyholes on the wrong side. CAUTION :) But the prospect of having to hop out and find a flatmate seemed kinda.... *blush*, i live with 2 females :whip: i eventually was able to twist enough to unlock myself....lucky.

I prefur to wear the fur lined leather ones, they just feel sexy, ive been known to wear them out casually :oops: but as stated, nothing really beats the sound of that final cuff ratcheting closed.
ydal

-Deleted-

Post by ydal »

-Deleted-
Last edited by ydal on 12 May 2014, 02:40, edited 1 time in total.
Hawkward

Post by Hawkward »

Recently I've become mildly interested in restraints, and right now I'm going through pretty much what this topic is talking about.

Yesterday, I purchased some standard handcuffs used primarily for foreplay, they have a safety lock on them so that if something goes wrong, you can pull that pin and let yourself free.

Though I was thinking on doing something; Adding one pair of thumbcuffs, paired with the safety release.

With these on, it's not impossibly hard to bump the safety pin (in fact you could use your body, knee, or face to apply pressure and get it loose if need be). But I've noticed that it has me less at will to unlock it, just from the extra thought of being more "confined". However the good part is that if the handcuffs caused too much irritation, depending on your scenario you'll able to take off the handcuffs, but have to wait out with the thumbcuffs - unless you resort to your backup release.

I also picked up 15m of 8mm polypropylene rope, so I'm looking into learning some knots I could use as well. While I could have got 30m of 6mm, I wanted to pick what would be the safest to use.
CaptainJoe

Post by CaptainJoe »

Hawkward wrote:Yesterday, I purchased some standard handcuffs used primarily for foreplay, they have a safety lock on them so that if something goes wrong, you can pull that pin and let yourself free.
Please, don not call that crap "safety lock" :!: :twisted: That thingy is prone to fail when you rely on it. In the german handcuff-forum we call those handcuffs "Wurstschneider", which roughly translates to "sausage cutter". Use it in the kitchen, but not on yourself.
Go ahead, buy some real, NIJ-approved handcuffs with a double lock.
But be aware that you need a real, two legged backup!

jm2c,
Joe.
(handcuff addict)
Life is what happens, while you are making other plans.
We won't stop nagging - because we care!