Accidental Death By Selfbondage

Post your thoughts and ideas on safety here.
anna
Site Admin

Accidental Death By Selfbondage

Post by anna »

I just received this link by email.
http://www.openmindmedia.com/self-bondage/
Please take some time to read the material and think about how you can make sure that you will not be one of the cases listed there.
curious_sb
Retired Moderator

Post by curious_sb »

I have just read that and it is horrifying, I am not sure why, whether it is the thought of dying, or being FOUND dead in such a humiliating position.

Thankfully, no one has complained about the way I or Anna moderate the forum yet, but if you ever think we are being too harsh - think of this first before you question our judgment.
Curious_SB
Retired Forum Moderator
loreetv

Post by loreetv »

SEE SCREEN NAME LOREE
Last edited by loreetv on 30 May 2006, 19:57, edited 1 time in total.
anna
Site Admin

Post by anna »

The main reason for posting this link is to cause people to think one more time before closing that last lock. As you say, there are no great advice how not to do to be found on that site, only sad stories of games gone terribly wrong. How you should do to not end up on that site depends on you and your games.
LoRee
Retired Moderator

A Difference Of Oppinion

Post by LoRee »

I respectfully disagree in that if you know what went wrong in a specific instance you can avoid the mistake made. The vague tales I found on this link are the kind the religious right in this country would use to dissuade people from practicing self bondage through fear. Without clear cause and effect to learn from, no precautionary lesson can be derived. And I thought that was the whole point was to learn from others mistakes. I find most of these tales some what amusing, but few serve the function intended.
"I find it far more annoying when the universe makes me work for damnation. I prefer it just gave it to me and save me the effort"
curious_sb
Retired Moderator

Post by curious_sb »

You are right LoRee, a lot of those stories are quite vague about cause of death, a lot do tend to focus on circumstance rather than cause.

BUT, and I say but with a firm tongue in cheek here :? ...(and not tongue in butt cheek either - thats a different forum altogether :lol:)...

BUT the point that really hit home for me. Wasnt really the fact that bondage kills, (and thats wrong as well, like they say cars kill, no they dont, stupid drivers kill, the cars are just the tools the stupid drivers use), anyway :D back to my point, the point being that you could die in a scenario, maybe through stupidity, maybe natural causes - who cares anyway?

In essence my shock was really the idea of being found :shock: in such a humiliating position :oops: personally given the choice of being found dead in a peaceful and dignified sleep, or in a leather hood, hogtied with a bit-gag in my mouth......hmmm which one to choose....lol

All these warnings we plaster over the forums are PC gone mad, you are quite right. But they are just that, warnings, we arent preaching not to self bind - if we did that heaven forbid we'd have no forum left :lol: we are just opening your eyes to the reality.

You come across as an experienced practitioner. So please try not to get too wound up if we go back to basics sometimes. Maybe you could add some much needed wisdom to our topics by adding some of your own experiences and ideas.
Curious_SB
Retired Forum Moderator
LoRee
Retired Moderator

Post by LoRee »

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 12:57 pm Post subject: Caution Yes, But What Is This???? Reply with quote
Ok I can understand the need to inform, but not all the information on http://www.openmindmedia.com/self-bondage/ is not really relevant to the subject of safty. The example stories are largly incomplete and they provide little in the way details of things not to do, or to be aware of. In practicing self bondage generalities are of little if any help. I find most of these tales ammusing but inappropriate as an objective safty lesson. If I were trying to scare some one out of practicing self bondage I would set up this link the way it is. If how the death ocurred isn't known, stating the cause death doesn't help. Few of these example state, let lone state clearly, exactly how death ocurred so that one could avoid making the same mistake. For example, elaborate self bondage is not in and of itself life threatening. I constantly do elaborate and complex senerios. I am just careful not to include obvious elements that could be seriously harmful or fatal. I am not suggesting making the info on this link unavailable to forum members, I just believe it shouldn't be included in, or used as, a self bondage safty warning.
Selfbound and gagged as always,
"I find it far more annoying when the universe makes me work for damnation. I prefer it just gave it to me and save me the effort"
tyerrup

Regarding the http://openmindmedia.com/self-bondage/ Page

Post by tyerrup »

First off I don't know where they are getting their info but I agree it sounds vague. But that is no reason to discount the fact that hundreds of people(mostly men) die from "autoerotic asphyxiation" every year. Note the use of the word "asphyxiation." This is not truely self-bondage as most of us on this forum define it. What these guys are doing is basically putting rope around their neck while standing on something or putting a bag over their head and as they get hypoxia, they masturbate. Well, some of them fall off the object they are standing on and either break their necks or slowly strangle. Or they pull the neck cord too tight and pass out before they can get the bag off.

The moral is that you NEVER should put anything around your neck that can get pulled tightly enough to cut off your air or that you could slip and end up hanging by. Of course, this includes doing anything like that to a partner as well. So long as you use common sense and don't play when you are tired or under the influence you should be fine.

By the way, this link comes from a company that "Lorelei" aka "Kristine Imboch" of Bondage Life editorship and Bedroom Bondage.com webmistress fame owns. For those of you not living in the states, or otherwise unaware, Bondage Life is a very popular bondage magazine here. And the lady I speak of originally was just another person who loved bondage and wrote into the magazine and sent pictures and eventually she was asked by the publisher, Robert Harmon to edit the magazine.

She is also the woman in the middle of the three pictures of the "Strappado" thread. She is very thin and flexible and their are literally hundreds/thousands of pics of her in tight bondage/suspensions.

Just FYI.