Safe to sleep with chain around neck?

Post your thoughts and ideas on safety here.
willing

Safe to sleep with chain around neck?

Post by willing »

For a while now I like it to chain my hands and feet together before I go to sleep.

I was wondering if its safe to tie my hands to a chain or a collar around my neck and then go sleeping? So someting that will not tighten up and making sure it is not to tight with a big enough margin. So only hands to the neck, feet together.

I thought if you somehow are not able to breath during the sleep, you will wake up to move into a posision you can breath. Is this true?
Grinser

Post by Grinser »

depending on how you arrange it it can be anywhere from quite safe to suicidal. The one thing I know for sure is, I would not trust myself to wake up when I am choking myself... too risky. Either make 100% sure you won`t strangle yourself before falling asleep or do not do it at all.
There is a beast inside man that should be exercised, not exorcised.
anna
Site Admin

Post by anna »

I agree with the previous poster. This sounds very dangerous. Is there no other way you can do it? Do you have to connect your hands to your neck? How about using a chest harness like this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFqt5UiesEE
curious_sb
Retired Moderator

Post by curious_sb »

anything involving things going round the neck need to be avoided in solo play, and requires at the very least CONSTANT supervision by a trusted accomplice. You can soon cut off blood supplies and oxygen even by accident. AVOID.
Curious_SB
Retired Forum Moderator
puppydogbytes

Post by puppydogbytes »

So long as the chain is not tight (you can get a closed fist between it and your neck) and cannot tighten I would have thought this was OK.

However connecting the chain to your wrists is only safe if you do it with your hands in front of you so that pulling will pull the chain away from your throat, do not do it with your hands behind you as it can put pressure on your windpipe and arteries which is very dangerous and can even be fatal!

Self strangulation has caused many deaths, however I don't see that this is much different to wearing a necklace to bed
'In this house we obey the laws of thermodynamics' - Homer Simpson
Grinser

Post by Grinser »

I wouldn`t advice that, either. Even if there is space between neck and chain and no strain on it at all, keep in mind, you move while sleeping. Two or three turns and ou might get tangled in the chain and pull it tight. Once the blood supply to the brain is down, you are blacked out and have no chance to untangle the chain.
Nightguy

Post by Nightguy »

My wife sleeps that way. But then she doesn't wear a chain around her neck, but a solid collar, so there is no chance of it twisting and tightening up.

This is one of those rare times where rope is actually safer than chain. You can tie a LOOSE rope circle around your neck, and then fasten your hands to the front of it, and there is practically no chance of it twisting enough to cut off your air.
A chain, however, can bind up on its own links with little twisting involved.

My best advice to all who try it and want to do it alone safely, is to use a solid collar of some kind, be it leather or metal. A solid collar has NO chance of twisting tight.
diyCheap

Re: Safe to sleep with chain around neck?

Post by diyCheap »

willing wrote: I thought if you somehow are not able to breath during the sleep, you will wake up to move into a posision you can breath. Is this true?
I don't think it's true, and to experiment it, you can be dead on the morning...
Does it really worth the challenge ???
In fact, when you sleep, your brain is sleeping also, as your defences. only a few remain intact.
Intoxication can be done easily when sleeping, with CO2, but , when awake, it's quite impossible.
For your question, you can easily go from sleeping well to falling deadly asleep, as it's the blood going in your brain that make the subconscious brain react.
I mean, if your brain didn't get the blood it need, you will fall from sleeping to the state of "impossible to react".
Then, you're dead in some minuts.
so, don't do it! ...
stangulation is the worse thing in SB, because it's not controllable.
even awake but alone
EVEN awake WITH someone.... newspapers are full of stories of dead collegian, with friends around them..
Never done that, there is so much others possibilities of pleasure, more safe...
put a clothepin on your dick, instead of your neck, you will see that it will awake you, if you move too much ... ;) don't try it with a small rope, but use a rubber band instead, it's much more better and safe.
rubber are a great toy for self boundage, it mean more pain, and less risks...
jake

Post by jake »

I know this is off topic, but I was just extremely scared, because I thought I was on a different forum (multiple tabs) about a camputer game, and was shocked to see them talking about self bondage! :shock:
curious_sb
Retired Moderator

Post by curious_sb »

xatm092 wrote:I know this is off topic, but I was just extremely scared, because I thought I was on a different forum (multiple tabs) about a camputer game, and was shocked to see them talking about self bondage! :shock:
Hahahahaha oh, that made me laugh, LOL
Curious_SB
Retired Forum Moderator
curious_sb
Retired Moderator

Post by curious_sb »

science lesson

if you stop breathing during sleep, your brain will wake you up this is true because you'll be sufffering a mild trauma and the body will try to correct this automatically. You probably wouldnt even know about it, becuase you'll still be dreaming, the body does some crazy things without your knowledge while you are sleeping.

However the problem is not lack of oxygen through breathing difficulties, it is lack of oxygen through cut-off of circulation eg blocked vein and arteries - if your brain loses oxygen for I think about 3 minutes, then brain cells start to die, you'll probably slip into a deeper sleep otherwise known as unconciousness, and from there to coma and death, and this could all be happening in real life while you are in "My Little Pony" or "Care Bears" land, or whatever it is dreamy people dream of.

And heres an interesting philosophy, if you die during a dream state, would that dream perpetuate for eternity?
Curious_SB
Retired Forum Moderator
Grinser

Post by Grinser »

jop, I agree, the human body is quite well constructed, the sub-consciousness can do amazing things to protect you from harm, but there is just some thigns, evolution could not "think of" like people wrapping chains around their throat before going to sleep, so don´t rely on such self-preservation measures.

And to the dream-forever thing: I guess, when you die, your brain simply shuts down, so theres no dreaming going on anywhere in there. Dreaming is a simple chemical reaction after all. Not very philosophical and not very romantic, but well, life is not romantic or anywhere near it.
willing

Post by willing »

Ok, thank you for all your replies. I'm now convinced it is not a good idee.
Anna wrote:I agree with the previous poster. This sounds very dangerous. Is there no other way you can do it? Do you have to connect your hands to your neck? How about using a chest harness like this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFqt5UiesEE
Thank you for the tip Anna, this seams like a good and safe alternative to me.
Nightguy wrote:This is one of those rare times where rope is actually safer than chain. You can tie a LOOSE rope circle around your neck, and then fasten your hands to the front of it, and there is practically no chance of it twisting enough to cut off your air.
A chain, however, can bind up on its own links with little twisting involved.
I found this out myself too, last weak I chained my wrist. At the beginning I was almost capable of gliding them over my hands while half an hour later they felt to tight to me, so I freed myself. (no time-releases where involved so I could escape directly. So I'm thinking about buying leather cuffs now to use instead.
puppydogbytes

Post by puppydogbytes »

Grinser wrote:Dreaming is a simple chemical reaction after all. Not very philosophical and not very romantic, but well, life is not romantic or anywhere near it.
I'm sad that you think this is true, dreams are far more than that....
'In this house we obey the laws of thermodynamics' - Homer Simpson
Grinser

Post by Grinser »

Hmm, this is a very hard thing for me.
On the one hand, I know that dreams and in fact every thought I have is just chemical reactions and simple biological facts and that is, although very fascinating in its complexity, a very disenchanting thought.
On the other hand, dreams are a unique opportunity to understand your sub-consciousness. And that is something that really fascinates me, how the basic programming of one`s brain, that is based on facts several thousand years old, deals with experiences in everyday life that it was never meant to be confronted with. I think dreams are very interesting, although I usually don`t dream a lot. I just don`t mystify dreams as some fairytale portal into another world or something, they are a portal to the foundation of our very identity and that is interesting enough, even without metaphysical considerations.