Dripping water bottle as a release?

Post your thoughts and ideas on safety here.
bdbgum

Dripping water bottle as a release?

Post by bdbgum »

I experimented with this yesterday (just the release I was not bound), basically I put water in a tube and then I put the keys in a small container so that the tube and container with keys had about the same weight. The idea is that the container will drop once it is heavier than the tube.

I pricked a hole in the middle where the water could drop out, but it would not drip. Then I pricked another small hole to the side, since I thought that might help get air flowing in/out. However, in the morning the tube was still half full! I tried the same with a large plastic water bottle, but with more water and a larger hole. Not a large success either although at one point the water was dropping steadily drop by drop. I guess the bigger weight added more pressure?

Anyone here has any insights on the workings of such a device?
orgasm0901

Post by orgasm0901 »

I have tried experitmenting with this method and to be honest i have not found a way to make it work reliabely and consistently. The #1 and best release system is using ice. I have used it but now i am using this technique i have developed i will post it under tape recorder release.
Struggling to get free!!!
bdbgum

Post by bdbgum »

On another forum I read of a water bottle with a hole in the bottom. Must be quite tiny I think, since I tried it with a 1.5 liter bottle and nearly full it took 'only' 15 minutes to empty. I did prick TWO holes in it though (other guy had done it for some reason?) so perhaps with one hole it would be slower. Also towards the end I figure it would go from a small stream of water to a slow dripping because of the lesser weight of the water.

Of course, the cap of the bottle has to be REMOVED for this to work.

I am testing some varations on this and will report back. However DO NOT use it since I cannot guarantee it will work well.
Bound&Helpless

Post by Bound&Helpless »

i have never tried this method, and it seems to me to be a bit unreliable. I am guessing to make this work you need to be a scientist so you can work out the pefect diameter of the hole you need to make to ensure the water doesnt drip too fast or too slow

If somebody does actually find a way to make this method work please post, as a few of the scenearios on the actual website contain this relase method.

Maybe a reliable way is to make large holes and fill with ice cubes??
Dark_Lizerd

Post by Dark_Lizerd »

The trick may be to have a larger hole for the water to drip from.
But the bottle needs thick enough sides so it will not collapse.
A tiny air vent hole in the top will allow the water to drip.
If you plug the air hole the water should stop dripping after a bit.
That will tell you if the water hole is about right...
By controling the air intake, you can control the time it takes to drain.
All advice is checked, re-checked and verified to be questionable...
Don't ask, we both wont understand the answer...
http://www.mediafire.com/download/09dtr ... e_V2_2.exe Not just for nubies any more...
soleus

Post by soleus »

The Egyptians and the Greeks were using water clocks to measure time thousands of years ago, and reasonably accurately - and at least it's not temperature-dependent to the same extent that ice is. The basic problem is that the drip rate depends on how full the container is: more weight of water means the flow is faster.

I have this half-baked idea for a pair of vessels connected via a narrow pipe with a large airfilled ball in the bottom one to act as a stopcock: when the level in the lower vessel drops, the ball drops and more water enters, causing the ball to rise and press against the bottom of the pipe to block off the flow again. The bottom vessel is thus always full and the drip from the bottom of it will be constant. Hang the whole thing from a rope looped over something with the keyring (and balancing weights) on the other end of the rope. My guess is that you'd need a very narrow hole or quite a lot of water, though.

http://www.sciencenetlinks.com/lessons. ... 11&DocID=2
for anyone who likes the idea. They're talking about a pin-sized hole and 1-2l of water, if that helps get a handle on it. Unfortunately I don't have any suitable bottles to hand to experiment with right now