Forum go-slow.

Post your feedback, thoughts, questions and ideas on the main site here.
misQui
Retired Moderator

Forum go-slow.

Post by misQui »

Is anyone having problems with the forums running really slowly? I've had it for about a week now. It's always ok at first and gradually slows down so that within a few minutes it's virtually stopped and it can take several attempts to get a page to load. My internet connection seems to be OK so I thought I'd check with you guys.
anna
Site Admin

Post by anna »

I have also noticed this and find it extremely annoying. It appears that the database server is overloaded sometimes, resulting in extremely slow or sometimes not functioning forum. The overload could be caused by heavy traffic to another forum or website hosted on the same database server. (This forum is hosted on a shared server.)

The forum will be moved later this year when the current hosting plan expires. Hopefully the new location will offer higher speed and better reliability.
curious_sb
Retired Moderator

Post by curious_sb »

Yep me too a couple of days this week I posted stuff and the website gound to a halt and crashed on me, I have 8meg Broadband and I actually thought someone had hacked my router and was leeching off my WIFI it was that slow.

Then I went to other websites and it was ok so that was a releif at least it wasnt my internet connection. I know it is still secure for now, although I should probably change the encryption cypher, its been a while.....
Curious_SB
Retired Forum Moderator
Venom

Post by Venom »

curious_sb wrote:Yep me too a couple of days this week I posted stuff and the website gound to a halt and crashed on me, I have 8meg Broadband and I actually thought someone had hacked my router and was leeching off my WIFI it was that slow.

Then I went to other websites and it was ok so that was a releif at least it wasnt my internet connection. I know it is still secure for now, although I should probably change the encryption cypher, its been a while.....

now, im a computing student, and have no idea what any of that meant
LoRee
Retired Moderator

Post by LoRee »

Venom wrote:
curious_sb wrote:
Yep me too a couple of days this week I posted stuff and the website gound to a halt and crashed on me, I have 8meg Broadband and I actually thought someone had hacked my router and was leeching off my WIFI it was that slow.

Well I'm about as illinformed as you can get without being completely computer illiterate, but I completely understand the basic jist of what he said. But I don't have WIFI and I still thought my system had been jacked. I heard a month ago that hacker gangs were highjacking individual computers to make coordinated cyber strikes in an attempt to crash the entire internet. That's why I don't leave mine on all the time.
"I find it far more annoying when the universe makes me work for damnation. I prefer it just gave it to me and save me the effort"
Quantes

Post by Quantes »

It's at the normal speed here, soms other forums are much slower.
jake

Post by jake »

curious_sb wrote:although I should probably change the encryption cypher, its been a while.....
You don't need to change that if nobody has hacked in, and you can check that by checking your connection speed URL removed, and seeing if it's about right or not.
Venom

Post by Venom »

LoRee wrote:Venom wrote:
curious_sb wrote:

Well I'm about as illinformed as you can get without being completely computer illiterate, but I completely understand the basic jist of what he said. But I don't have WIFI and I still thought my system had been jacked. I heard a month ago that hacker gangs were highjacking individual computers to make coordinated cyber strikes in an attempt to crash the entire internet. That's why I don't leave mine on all the time.

yeah but what the hell is an encryption cypher
jake

Post by jake »

Venom wrote:yeah but what the hell is an encryption cypher
Don't ask and you won't get a complicated answer.
Venom

Post by Venom »

there is no such thing as an encryption cypher! YOUR JUST TRYING TO BE SMART! :O
jake

Post by jake »

TRYING AND SUCCEEDING :O
curious_sb
Retired Moderator

Post by curious_sb »

LOL.

an encryption cypher, is simply a password, together with an algorithm (eg WEP) to secure the data on an encryptd channel.

WEP apparently - is not very secure, so I need to change it to WPA. But Im too lazy....

You've all heard of the word "decypher"? which means "decode", well cypher is the opposite of that, to "encode".

An example of a very simple "CYPHER" where you need to have the original cypher key to decode a message:

CYPHER KEY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z
Z Y X W V U T S R Q P O N M L K J I H G F E D C B A

Now to use the above to encode a message:

R OLEV ZOO GSV NVNYVIH LU YLFMWZMMZ

Now that you have the CYPHER KEY (above) you can easily decrypyt the message above.

So thats basically all it is, just a password, usually (encoded in base-16 hexadecimal) used to secure an encrypted datastream using a given encryption format.

The STRENGTH of a cypher is the level of complexity in the cypher, as you can see above the cypher is not that strong because all I did was reverse the alphabet. Even though to the untrained eye the secret message above is still to all intents and purposes "unreadable", it would not have taken a genius einstein to crack the code even if I had not provided you all with the cypher key.

Anyone want to tell me what the message says?
Curious_SB
Retired Forum Moderator
curious_sb
Retired Moderator

Post by curious_sb »

xatm092 wrote:
curious_sb wrote:although I should probably change the encryption cypher, its been a while.....
You don't need to change that if nobody has hacked in, and you can check that by checking your connection speed URL removed, and seeing if it's about right or not.

Cool, that worked a treat, my ISP package is "up to 8Meg" and I know the local exchange is only good to about 6.5 meg, and the website test came back at 6.5 meg. Excellent!!
Curious_SB
Retired Forum Moderator
catman

Post by catman »

During the last several days I have lost my log-in status, even though I check the "keep me logged in" box.

It will work for one or two visits, then I find that I have to log in again.
jake

Post by jake »

ZOMG

I clicked the reply button to say that it was probably something to do with your cookies being deleted, and it told me to log in!!!

-_-

I'm guessing it's a new mod that's been installed. I hope the auto-login can be re-instated though.