Forum downtime...

Post your feedback, thoughts, questions and ideas on the main site here.
anna
Site Admin

Forum downtime...

Post by anna »

We have just experienced some downtime of the forum. It was apparently caused by a server update or move or something similar by the hosting company. Sorry for the inconvenience.
Last edited by anna on 20 Jan 2007, 21:04, edited 1 time in total.
LoRee
Retired Moderator

Post by LoRee »

Downtime:?: :?: :!: Where was I when this happened and why didn't some body give me a head's up? Gee wiz! I never get to experience any forum downtime. Now that's inconvenience. :cry:
"I find it far more annoying when the universe makes me work for damnation. I prefer it just gave it to me and save me the effort"
curious_sb
Retired Moderator

Post by curious_sb »

Yeah it does keep going down, although boundanna.net is more reliable, the trouble is though, that forum.boundanna.com and boundanna.com are hosted my the same provider (obviously, since "forum" is a subdomain of boundanna.com.) which means that although the main site can be seen at .net, the forum can't.
Curious_SB
Retired Forum Moderator
anna
Site Admin

Post by anna »

The .com does seem a bit less stable than the .net but this will be solved eventually. It is always hard to run a free site and keep the costs on an affordable level without loosing quality. However, I am working on it and the recent move to .net have greatly increased the availability of the main site, unfortunately the forum is harder to move at the moment.

I am really very, very sorry for the problems and frustration that the downtime causes. Let me know if it becomes to much of an issue. (I have no statistics about downtime so I do not know how often it happens.)
anna
Site Admin

Post by anna »

We have been offline again because our host did a MySql update. Sorry about the inconvenience this caused.
jake

Post by jake »

Good to see you are back online :)
LoRee
Retired Moderator

Post by LoRee »

Damn it missed it again :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
"I find it far more annoying when the universe makes me work for damnation. I prefer it just gave it to me and save me the effort"
jake

Post by jake »

It was down for at least 12 hours
anna
Site Admin

Post by anna »

I am sorry to say that we have experienced some downtime again. Our new and more reliable host experienced a severe power failure and a large amount of servers went of line. Our server (shared) was one of them. I am once again sorry for the inconvenience.

Update: It appears that all problems is not solved yet and you might still get some 404 pages when you brows the forum.
jake

Post by jake »

I have not got any 404 errors. :D
curious_sb
Retired Moderator

Post by curious_sb »

this is funny in one way, not in another, but I am pleased you moved the forum...
Curious_SB
Retired Forum Moderator
anna
Site Admin

Post by anna »

We have just experienced another downtime. :( Sorry for the inconvenience…
LoRee
Retired Moderator

Post by LoRee »

Damn it! Missed it again!
Do you think some misguided individual may have crashed something into the server tower in commemoration of 9/11? :shock: :shock: :? :lol: :roll: :wink: Hey, I told you I had a macabre sense of humor. :evil: :twisted: :?:
anna
Site Admin

Post by anna »

LoRee wrote:Damn it! Missed it again!
Do you think some misguided individual may have crashed something into the server tower in commemoration of 9/11? :shock: :shock: :? :lol: :roll: :wink: Hey, I told you I had a macabre sense of humor. :evil: :twisted: :?:
The downtime was actually caused by someone attacking our host with a DoS (Denial of Service) attack. But I doubt that the date was important in this case.
jake

Post by jake »

Anna wrote:
LoRee wrote:Damn it! Missed it again!
The downtime was actually caused by someone attacking our host with a DoS (Denial of Service) attack. But I doubt that the date was important in this case.
Who would want to do that to boundanna?