Adult forum.

Post your feedback, thoughts, questions and ideas on the main site here.
Gheist

Adult forum.

Post by Gheist »

This is an adult forum!
No one under the age of 21 are allowed to view these pages.

It should be 'is' instead of 'are', 'cuz of the word 'one', shouldn't it?
Veni, Vidi, Vici...
anna
Site Admin

Re: Adult forum.

Post by anna »

Some googeling around have uncovered evidence that you are right. "No one" is singular and should thereby be followed by the word is rather than are.

But I still think that it would not sound correct if is was used instead. And my intentions was also that the "no one" was supposed to speak to you all as a group and it would therefor be plural. So the real issue here is probably not the is or are but rather the incorrect use of no one. Exchanging the no one for the word none would apparently solve the issue as that word manages to be both plural and singular but I still think that it would not sound as good as the current text.

So the current banner does not only warn about the minimum age requirement but it also unknowingly (until now) warns that bad use of the English language is likely to be found below. This makes the banner even better in a brilliant sort of way. :mrgreen: A lot of us here are not very good at English grammar and spelling.

So, people of the forum, valued forum members. I ask you to cast a vote in this issue. Is the current banner a disgrace for our lovely community and needs to be corrected. Or should we continue to use it and risk causing the professors and doctors of English language to spill their morning coffee all aver their keyboards in disgust? Where should we draw the line? If we are not allowed to misuse the language in our own forum then what other liberties do we stand to lose? Are we going to let the language police gag us and whip us into submission? :gag: :whip: (I think I blew my freedom speech here. :wink: )
tiemeupalso

Post by tiemeupalso »

looks good to me,but then im from Texas,we dont speak the queens english,are not politlcally correct,and just dont give a damn. :D
bound_jenny

Post by bound_jenny »

What I find ironic is that the one doing the nitpicking used "'cuz" instead of because. :mrgreen:
Gheist wrote:'cuz of the word 'one',
As they say, "cordonnier mal chaussé" (the shoemaker wears the worst shoes). :lol:

And the Mistress always has the shiniest boots. :whip:

Jenny.
Helplessness is a doorway to the innermost reaches of the soul.
If my corset isn't tight, it just isn't right!
Kink is the spice of life!
Come to the Dark Side - we have cookies!
RADER

Post by RADER »

anna:
I believe in the Subjunctive case, witch your tex fall's under, you are correct in
the use of " No One"
Yes it can be singular, however you are "speaking" to a single person whom is
reading this message at that time. There fore I vote..... RUN WITH IT.
Now comming from the Chicago Land Area, where we Vote, and Vote Often.
May I vote again???? Rader :hi:
anna
Site Admin

Post by anna »

This is thread getting more and more interesting. Keep the comments coming! 8)

I should point out that out that I do not in any way see Gheist as the language police I wrote about in the previous post. The language police part was more meant to symbolize all the language rules and laws. What Gheist did was just to point out a possible minor grammatical error and there was nothing wrong with that. I welcome such actions.

Another issue to discuss could be the use of A or AN. This is a adult forum or this is an adult forum. Things like this sometimes cause a lot of problems for those of us (like me) who are not very good at English.

But remember! It is always better to write something with poor grammar than to not write anything at all. There are no language police in our forum and there are no reason what so ever to be afraid of making errors. Post away your thoughts and ideas without any fear from the possible arrest by the language police. (The real police might still arrest you if you do something criminal but that is something completely different.) Most of us here do not speak English as our first language and are therefore free to mistreat the language in any way we see fit. :mrgreen:
RADER wrote:May I vote again????
It seems that you are often allowed to vote again if your previous vote did not satisfy whoever called for the vote.
lj

Post by lj »

I just have to join in...

I have a reputation as a grammar pedant, though I have occasionally made a complete idiot of myself by making a mistake in my correction of another's grammar. Nobody is perfect :-)

"No one under the age of 21 are allowed to view these pages"

"No one" is an peculiarity of English. It is correctly written as "no-one" , as it is a negative of one, that is, it means not anybody, no person etc. as "one" refers to a single person. You could not write "noone" because that would be pronounced in the same way as "noon", the middle of the day, and is, in any case, not the correct format of the word. So the sense of what Ann is saying is "whoever you are, if you are aged under 21, you must not use this forum.

"No-one" is singular, so the correct verb is "is"

So the correct version, in English grammar:

"No-one under the age of 21 is allowed to view these pages"

I could be extremely pedantic and say that the really correct version is :

"No-one, under the age of 21, is allowed to view these pages"

This is because "under the age of 21" is a subordinate clause describing, or amplifying, the subject "no-one"

but this is a subtlety that is usually ignored.

Pedants will also notice that the preceeding sentence is incomplete, insofar as the "but" requires a preceeding sentence, to which what follows is a rebuttal.

On the other hand we can just get on with our lives and have lots of kinky fun :lol:

PS to you guys on the other side of the pond, don't worry, you don't speak English anyway....

:twisted:
be a switch, double the fun :-)
Gheist

Post by Gheist »

Put the ,'s away.
Lesser ,'s are better. :gag:
At least that's what most of my english-teachers told me. @_@
Veni, Vidi, Vici...
bound_jenny

Post by bound_jenny »

lj wrote:PS to you guys on the other side of the pond, don't worry, you don't speak English anyway....

I'll take that as a provocation... :gag: :whip: :twisted:

Jenny.
Helplessness is a doorway to the innermost reaches of the soul.
If my corset isn't tight, it just isn't right!
Kink is the spice of life!
Come to the Dark Side - we have cookies!
RADER

Post by RADER »

bound_jenny
Go Get Them :whip:

You always use AN before a word starting with a vowel.
A is used before all words starting with-out a vowel.
You folks are trying to get an old man some 45+ years out of school
to remember English Class, :?: Talk about dusting off the cob-webs.
Wow, It is amaising what you can remember sometimes. Rader :hi:
onestrangeguy

Post by onestrangeguy »

lj wrote:I just have to join in...

PS to you guys on the other side of the pond, don't worry, you don't speak English anyway....

I'm from the U.S., which is part of Amreirca...
And I'm thinking we should change it to something like...
"Don't none of you people over 21 come in here, ya hear?" :lol:
That would keep me out for sure!
There's a fine line between cuddling and holding someone down so they can't get away.
lj

Post by lj »

bound_jenny wrote:
lj wrote:PS to you guys on the other side of the pond, don't worry, you don't speak English anyway....

I'll take that as a provocation... :gag: :whip: :twisted:

Jenny.

of course :lol:

I do like provoking Dommes, it makes the subsequent scene so much more fun. Of course, it gets even better if the Domme is, like me, a switch. Last Thursday had just such a situation. The Domme had to receive a paddling from me as a forfeit, but she was going to give me a sub scene later...what to do, go easy on her in the hope she would with me ? Naaaah, go for it. Great scene :D still have the sore bits...
be a switch, double the fun :-)
anna
Site Admin

Post by anna »

Thanks everyone, with extra thanks to LJ! Now all I have to do is to decide if I should correct it or not. :mrgreen:
cdinbonds

Post by cdinbonds »

As was pointed out, there are a lot of people here for whom English is not their native language. For that reason alone, it seems like it should be corrected, so as not to perpetuate incorrect usage.
There's a fine line between cuddling and holding someone down so they can't get away.
The beatings will continue until morale improves.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons - for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.
RADER

Post by RADER »

Do not change anything. Thier is nothing wrong with what is printed.