An alternative to the WMP release method

Post your feedback, thoughts, questions and ideas on the main site here.
maid_heather

An alternative to the WMP release method

Post by maid_heather »

There was an idea put out on the 'computer based release page' here that talked about using windows media player with ripping a cd to be a release method (by ejecting the cd drive and dropping a string). There were a few problems mentioned, but on top of those are also issues of having a cd spinning in the drive while a string is in there, as well as most computers will rip a cd in a matter of minutes, not long enough to enjoy the bondage.

I found a few freeware utilities and did my own modifications to try to make a better mousetrap as it will. The current program runs entirely in the WinXP/Vista command shell (i haven't tested it on vista yet, but the commands would be the same) and should be a lot more stable than any graphical programs. There is still the risk of a catastrophic failure (blue screen, power outage, etc) that could keep the drive from opening, so this is still not 100%

My program is available here: http://maidheather.amastacia-tech.com/sbrelease.rar (17KB), just unzip, and run the 'self bondage release.bat' file, or make a shortcut of it to a more readily accessible place. The program will ask how long to wait (in seconds, so figure minutes * 60, or hours * 3600) and which drive needs to be opened (d for D Drive, e for E Drive, etc, my laptop was h)

Credits are due to different people, since i just merged programs and wrote the batch file. The timer program came from Lord of Shadows (his program is found here and i found the link to it from this site. The cd eject program came from a freeware site here.

I want to try to make a graphical based version that can have various release methods (fixed time release, random time release, x number of seconds, or when SETI@Home finds extraterrestrial life) ... (just joking on that last one)

REMEMBER - This, like any other, is not 100% safe. Test it before you use it. Use a laptop or uninterruptable power supply, or ideally both.
bound_jenny

Post by bound_jenny »

Use a backup release that is totally independent of computers, software and mains electricity. That is always the best option.

And if you have a trusted person, that is also a very good alternative.

Jenny.
Helplessness is a doorway to the innermost reaches of the soul.
If my corset isn't tight, it just isn't right!
Kink is the spice of life!
Come to the Dark Side - we have cookies!
KinkyMonkey

Post by KinkyMonkey »

yes, definitely do have a backup. i can't even rely on my pc to run a powerpoint without crashing after 5 mins. same with the phone release. i have a story about that but its for another time...