A couple of comments

Post your feedback, thoughts, questions and ideas on the main site here.
cdinbonds

A couple of comments

Post by cdinbonds »

First, I want to see this forum grow and become a very active place to discuss selfbondage. I think there are some good dicussions going on here. In that spirit, I have to say that I think the way some of the 'controversial' topics are being handled by the moderators will not encourage growth, but will discourage good open discussion. Case in point, I don't mind that I was quoted in the sticky on poisonous metals, but the original post should have been left intact so that someone who was reading the thread on making ballgags would get the info right there, in context. The point is moot now however as the post that my post referred to has been "sanitized" to eliminate the parts that I was referring to. :? Selfbondage is inherently dangerous, but to eliminate subjects just because someone has made a mistake will not educate or inform anyone. I belong to other forums that deal with inherently dangerous sports,such as scuba diving, and nothing is censored, (there I said it) unless it is derogatory in nature. If someone says that they did or do such and such a thing that is potentially fatal ,no one deletes that statement, but rather it becomes the catalyst for a lively discussion, the very thing forums need to survive.
I've noticed a couple of times when the first thing in a thread is a warning not to do what follows, only to find that whatever it is I'm not supposed to do is not mentioned anywhere. How the hell am I supposed to not do something if I don't know what it is? :?
I know you are trying to be cautious and avoid liabilty for anything that some fool may try, but I truly believe you are doing a disservice to your members by not allowing the free exchange of all info. There are some very exerienced people on this site, and they will jump in when necessary to point out the problems. Give them a chance before you chop it off by censoring things.

On that same note (avoiding liabilty)---

Another thing that has appeared lately is the posting of pictures to illustrate something (strappado's). These pictures supposedly come from a Google search. One is of Artemis Antone, from her website, ArtemisBound.com(it's clearly shown on the picture.) Just like everything on BoundAnna is copyrighted and not to be re-posted without permission, other websites are similarly copyrighted. Use of these pictures is probably a violation of that copyright.
By the way, I think the second picture, of the young lady hanging in the closet, is Loreli, of Bedroombondage.com. I'm not positive of this, but the resemblence is remarkable and the style of the bondage and costume in the pictuure is exactly the style she likes. Her site is copyrighted also.

Please don't be offended by these comments. I'm offering them as (hopefully) constructive critisism, that will maybe make you think twice before censoring something.

I encourage any member who reads this to comment as well, maybe it's me that's off base here, and everyone else feels that the forum is perfect the way it is. :roll:
anna
Site Admin

Post by anna »

Thank you for your feedback.
You will be happy to know that the censorship policy has been updated and that the things you mention will not happen now unless there is some major breach of the rules. On the matter of warnings and censorship in general all I can say is that it is very hard to find a good and working level in the beginning when everything is new. There will always be some problems but I think we have removed most issues now.

And speaking of copyrights, yes, you are right that some of the pictures used are from other site and used without licence. All photos, drawings or any other media is covered by a copyright and that should not be violated. Perhaps it is a much better idea to just link to the photo in its original site instead of embedding it into the forum.
curious_sb
Retired Moderator

Post by curious_sb »

cdinbonds. I totally agree with all that you say, and as Anna says, we had a big discussion about this very topic, as a result we have changed our censorship policy.

As for the strappado images you see that I have posted, yes they all did come from a google search, I never lie. The code that displays the image is just a reference to its original location and the IMG tags force it to display as a picture rather than a link.

I dont know how google gets the images but it does seem apparent that the pictures are obviously from another site - maybe google scans every site for pictures to display in its search results? And also how is THAT in itself not breaking licence to show the pictures?

The one with the elbow cinch actually came from boundanna.com (where you have to agree to all the forum rules and that you are over 20 years old), I guess Anna must have gotten permission to use this as an advertisement link, so I dont know where I stand with that one.

I only really use pictures to "illustrate" something, yet I understand about the licensing of pictures, and if you would all prefer I can go back to displaying just the links or even drawing my own pictures in paintbrush? However I think it spoils the flow of the post if you have to keep opening up pictures and then going back to read the comments. I personally prefer scrolling the page and seeing the images as you read the text, at least that way you are gtting the context too.

Its just a bit of a kick in the teeth to read all this after being praised for such a good post on strappados.
Curious_SB
Retired Forum Moderator
anna
Site Admin

Post by anna »

Oh, that strapado post was great, do not think anything else. It showed a very good use of photos. And I do not want to see posts like that disappearing. :wink:

I will try to rephrase that photo posting rule so it is easier to understand what I mean and to remove any doubts in this matter. Do not change anything at this time.
cdinbonds

Post by cdinbonds »

No worries curious, not knocking the post, i was just pointing out a potential liability, since it has been obvious this is a huge concern to you and Anna. I personally feel that once something is out there on the web, all control is lost anyway. I've found very few things that I can't save a copy of to my computer, and then I could, if I chose, post it anywhere again. I don't want you guys getting in trouble for a simple mistake like posting copyrighted material that seems to be ln public domain. I agree that seeing a picture in the thread is easier than following the link, but on the other hand, I have found some intersting sites by following links. :o
I don't know what Google does, (and don't care, that's not why I brought this up) but I don't see pictures when searching, only links. Maybe I have a different setting somewhere that suppresses pictures during a search. Anyway, Google is a search engine, and everyone with a website (especially a paysite), wants to be listed there, so they probably won't get too excited if some selected material shows up there. Also, even paysites usually have some "free preview" stuff that they provide to try to get us to part with our money. These are most likely the images that a search engine would turn up. If you post the link, you are giving credit where credit is due, and potentially sending business to the site, so probably won't get any flak. Just showing the picture could result in the thinking that you are claimimg the rights to the photo.
cdinbonds

Post by cdinbonds »

Anna, I understand you are going through "startup pains". I am in my own inept way trying to help you through some of this, and trying to give you some feedback to let you know how I, (and only I) view this site. I definitely want it to become a huge success. We need this site. If others comment and say I'm out of line, then so be it, I'm only expressing my opinion. It sounds like you have already addressed my biggest concern, (I really don't care about the copyright thing, except I don't want this forum shutdown because of a lawsuit or something.)
I like this forum, can't wait for it to grow some more, with more active participation. This is the first forum I have joined that I really feel comfortable in. That's probably because it is still finding its way, just like most of us.
curious_sb
Retired Moderator

Post by curious_sb »

cdinbonds wrote: I don't know what Google does, (and don't care, that's not why I brought this up) but I don't see pictures when searching, only links. Maybe I have a different setting somewhere that suppresses pictures during a search.
Go to google.com click "images" first, and then do a search for something, its called google's "Image Search", I think what you describe here is just a normal google search.

Hope that helps.

As for claiming rights to the photo's, I always try to remember to post where I got the pictures from to avoid any of this.

Anyways you are right to bring this up, no offence taken, just saying it was a kick in the teeth to read after being praised so highly. Never mind.
Curious_SB
Retired Forum Moderator
LoRee
Retired Moderator

YOU NEVER WHAT?!?!?

Post by LoRee »

Not meaning to be inflammatory or asinine HOWEVER, I can not help but comment on curious_sb statement "I never lie". Far be it from me to call into question his honesty or integrity, but you show me a person who says I never lie, and I will show you a liar. Now I am absolutely certain that our esteemed moderator was sincere when he said he obtained the strappado images he posted from a google search he performed. I for one believe him, despite his integral Faux pas.
"I find it far more annoying when the universe makes me work for damnation. I prefer it just gave it to me and save me the effort"
curious_sb
Retired Moderator

Post by curious_sb »

hahahaha ever the picky one.....ok so maybe I do lie sometimes.

I did get the images from google, but I can see clearly now that the images were HOTLINKED from their original locations. So I have editted my strappado post and simply saved the images and rehosted them on http://www.imageshack.us. Nothing much has changed except I seem to have screwed up that one with the dodgy feet as I seem to have cut them off, still i have posted links to the originals so hopefully wont confuse too many people.
Curious_SB
Retired Forum Moderator