Heart-rate monitoring sports watch with realtime API?

Selfbondage software and other kinky developments

Moderators: Riddle, Shannon SteelSlave

kinkymaker

Heart-rate monitoring sports watch with realtime API?

Post by kinkymaker »

I’ve got a few ideas about games / predicaments based on heart rate.

Given that heart rate detectors are now built in to many watches, I wondered if that might be a way to go?

Does anyone know of a model where it’s possible to access realtime heartrate data from the watch somehow?

Along similar lines, those breath measuring chest straps would be useful to tap into as well.

Thanks
Onwrikbaar

Re: Heart-rate monitoring sports watch with realtime API?

Post by Onwrikbaar »

kinkymaker wrote: Does anyone know of a model where it’s possible to access realtime heartrate data from the watch somehow?
All Bluetooth heart rate monitors (chest straps) implement the standard HRM profile and most transmit the information in the clear. They are much cheaper than a sports watch. I regularly use a Lezyne BLE HRM in my own automated self bondage games.

But to answer the question: Yes, some modern sports watches, like the Garmin FR245 and FR945, that pick up the heartbeat on the wrist, can broadcast it through BLE (Bluetooth Smart). They too use the ubiquitous and well-documented BLE Heart Rate Profile.

There are many programs and apps that can pick up and display the BLE heart rate data, but if you want to use this data to control other things, you will probably need to do a bit of programming. If that is your purpose, let me know and I will gladly elaborate.

~Mark
Last edited by Onwrikbaar on 05 Jun 2022, 15:49, edited 1 time in total.
kinkymaker

Post by kinkymaker »

Ah, brilliant, I didn’t realise HRM chest straps existed.

Yes it’s my intention to access the data directly using Golang on Linux. That’s how I’m controlling other devices like the Estim 2B box (via USB / serial)

I’d be fascinated to know what kind of automation / scenarios you have come up with?
Onwrikbaar

Post by Onwrikbaar »

kinkymaker wrote:t’s my intention to access the data directly using Golang on Linux. That’s how I’m controlling other devices like the Estim 2B box
I love it :D
I’d be fascinated to know what kind of automation / scenarios you have come up with?
I use the HRM mostly in conjunction with my Bluetooth wearable e-stim box (that I wrote about here). One of my favorite games is to have the box shock me whenever my heart rate falls below a certain bpm. That really keeps me on edge.

In addition I'm working on software to also use my device's accelerometer, so I can create predicaments like "keep doing squats, but don't let your heart rate get higher than x."