log-in times out while writing story!

How to do things in the forum. (Such as inserting pictures into your post.)
Michelle

log-in times out while writing story!

Post by Michelle »

Is this normal?
I was logged on. I started writing a story but was doing other things at the same time so I was on & off writing my story for over an hour.
When I stoped the story (I wasn't done but had to stop and said I would continue later...) and submited the story, I found out I had been logged out and got a window asking to log in?
Now the long story I wrote is gone??
Can I change mysettings so I don't get timed out this quickly?
cdinbonds

Post by cdinbonds »

I've had that happen too. If I remember, I just logged back on and everything was still there (I could be wrong on this, it hasn't happened in a while)
Alternative is to type in a word processor and then cut and paste to the text box.
There's a fine line between cuddling and holding someone down so they can't get away.
The beatings will continue until morale improves.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons - for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.
painslutanne

Re: log-in times out while writing story!

Post by painslutanne »

Michelle wrote:Is this normal?
I was logged on. I started writing a story but was doing other things at the same time so I was on & off writing my story for over an hour.
When I stoped the story (I wasn't done but had to stop and said I would continue later...) and submited the story, I found out I had been logged out and got a window asking to log in?
Now the long story I wrote is gone??
Can I change mysettings so I don't get timed out this quickly?
A suggestion...write the story offline using any word processor, sign in, cut/paste and viola!
Hapinness is being hogtied and ball gagged!
Cane tracks are beautiful!
anna
Site Admin

Post by anna »

I am sorry that you lost your story. :(
The forum is set to keep you logged in until you log out so I really do not know what is causing this.

Everyone: Try to remember copying the text you have written before clicking submit, a lot of things can and do go wrong with forums like this. Another idea is to write it in a wordprocessor before pasting it into your post like Painslutanne wrote above.
Quantes

Post by Quantes »

You can make your posts, if they are long, in Word or some similar program, and paste them when you want to post.
misQui
Retired Moderator

Post by misQui »

Seen as everyone else is having a go, I thought I'd point out that you can type your story in a word processing software, then copy and paste into the forum. :D :roll:
LoRee
Retired Moderator

Post by LoRee »

As suggested the cut/copy & paste method is good for when you know you are going to take a while composing. However, to answer Michelle's question; "Is this normal?" The answer is yes. I have encountered this phenomena regularly enough to say without a doubt that it is. BUT you don't have to lose your work. I found you can use the "Go Back One Page" arrow on the navigation tool bar, to back up to the page you were working on, open another tab or window (I normally have one or both open at the time anyway) and cut/copy your work to save to another application or program. I normally have my email open and save it to a draft document, but you could use word or note pad or whatever.
Hope that helps. :mrgreen:
"I find it far more annoying when the universe makes me work for damnation. I prefer it just gave it to me and save me the effort"
infenro

Post by infenro »

as said clicking the back button would of saved you, but say logins time out on sites for security reasons its the way forums and the internet was created for security,

Btw im a techie so any tech questions you can always ask me :p
SubPetNC

Post by SubPetNC »

In phpbb boards I've found it easier to write whatever story in a word processor and then cut and paste the text into the forum.
Michelle

Post by Michelle »

Thank you for all the replies.
The funny thing is I spend a lot of time on my computer both at home and at work, and I am often called for help with computer & software problems... and I never considered writing my stories in Word...
Which brings me to another question:
When I write stories, they tend to be long and develop slowly (I keep adding stuff between the lines). I'd like to know if most people on this forum like slow & long stories, or short & quick stories?
A while back I started writing a story for my wife (she says she can't come up with ideas for scenarios and sometimes asks me to write some). The main subject of my story was that we would spend a night in a hotel room and she would make me do things at the hotel. 12 pages later, we still weren't at the hotel... (I kept coming up with other stops to do on our way to the hotel).
curious_sb
Retired Moderator

Post by curious_sb »

Hi

:idea:

I dont know if anyone has realised but you can write the story in notepad and save it as a text document until it is ready and then copy paste it into a new post when its done....

:lol:
Curious_SB
Retired Forum Moderator
Kim

Post by Kim »

I use this same form program on my own website and one of the person that was trying to use it is useing AOL as there ISP, and keep haveing the same problem. what is going on is that AOL does A lot of IP hoping and when it does that the forum will log them out. there is a way that Anna can fix that prob.
Mc_ntk

Post by Mc_ntk »

Kim wrote:I use this same form program on my own website and one of the person that was trying to use it is useing AOL as there ISP, and keep haveing the same problem. what is going on is that AOL does A lot of IP hoping and when it does that the forum will log them out. there is a way that Anna can fix that prob.
Goto:
http://www.wallrazor.com/
were it asks for a address put "forum.boundanna.com" then UNCHECK disable all scripts. There will be ads at the top. If you have a adblocker all the better.

Your welcome.
anna
Site Admin

Post by anna »

Kim wrote:I use this same form program on my own website and one of the person that was trying to use it is useing AOL as there ISP, and keep haveing the same problem. what is going on is that AOL does A lot of IP hoping and when it does that the forum will log them out. there is a way that Anna can fix that prob.
Is it possible to fix without installing any modifications to the forum software? I like to keep the forum as basic as possible to avoid problems.
Kim

Post by Kim »

Anna wrote: Is it possible to fix without installing any modifications to the forum software? I like to keep the forum as basic as possible to avoid problems.
Yes Anna there is a way to fix it there is a 2 lines of code to change. I sent you the info in a PM
Kim