Forum Statistics

Anything that does not fit any of the other categories.
Riddle

Forum Statistics

Post by Riddle »

Today, I looked more at the index page than normal and noticed the forum statistics:
Total posts 67192 • Total topics 8719 • Total members 8985

Those are fairly good numbers for such a specific interest group. We have almost as many topics as members, a high number of posts compared to topics, and most members never post. So, how do these numbers end up happening? I think bound_jenny may be blamed for such high averages. She has 9.74% of all forum posts.

Given this information, there was only one thing I could do: provide another topic to see get derailed. :rofl:

How do you say duck in Canada? There could be a :whip: coming.
Resident timer maker. :hi:
Let’s make timers together!
lj

Re: Forum Statistics

Post by lj »

How do you say duck in Canada?

canard ? suppose it depends which bit of Canada, Quebec for example...

then there's garrulous...

(a female characteristic, I believe :rofl: )
be a switch, double the fun :-)
Natale

Post by Natale »

Riddle wrote:...So, how do these numbers end up happening? I think bound_jenny may be blamed for such high averages. She has 9.74% of all forum posts.

Given this information, there was only one thing I could do: provide another topic to see get derailed. :rofl:
Aah, but if blabbermouth Jenny posts in this topic too she'll still maintain her high percentage of posts!
To keep her silent this topic would have to be something she has absolutely no interest in, whatever that could be. Matchbook collecting? Early Mesopotamian history? 18th Dynasty Egyptian pottery? :rofl:

Unless the intention is to get her to post even more in order to raise the total number of posts.. but either way this thread will be derailed to who knows where. :D
CaptainJoe

Post by CaptainJoe »

Hi,

considering her avatar, I fear even derailing would be on topic with Mistress Jenny :mrgreen:

But I will not start rambling about the derailing device I've built for my model railroad layout some years ago :gag:

Joe.
Life is what happens, while you are making other plans.
We won't stop nagging - because we care!
Blacky

Post by Blacky »

Given the decoration on egyptian pottery it has a whole lot to do with astronomy, which again is a topic that will raise Jenny's interest, I guess. :? :roll:
If the doors of perception were cleansed everything would appear to man as it is, infinite. (W. Blake)
bound_jenny

Post by bound_jenny »

I'm a blabbermouth? Me? :shock:

If you say that I'm an evil blabbermouth, I'm on board. :hi: :rofl:
CaptainJoe wrote:model railroad layout
Another fascinating topic. A friend of mine is a model railroader and it's a fascinating hobby... I've nicknamed him the Train Pervert (he has a cap that reads "I need more toy trains"). :mrgreen:

I'm also my own derailing device. So it's on topic. :hi:
Natale wrote:Matchbook collecting? Early Mesopotamian history? 18th Dynasty Egyptian pottery?
Matchbooks have an interesting allure - the advertising on their covers provide a miniature travel guide to many places, including Mesopotamia (though these days, it's not a very safe place to visit) and Egypt (a safer alternative since a lot of Egyptian pottery has found its way into museums in safer parts of the world).

"Duck" in French is "canard", a word which is not used much in that language to warn someone to... duck. Baisse-toi would be better for the francophone targets. Maybe followed by a choice swear word or two (it's Quebec, after all). :mrgreen:
Natale wrote:Unless the intention is to get her to post even more in order to raise the total number of posts..
Do I really need an excuse for that? :hi:

That like whipping - if I don't have an excuse, I can make one up. :whip: :hi: :twisted:
lj wrote:then there's garrulous...

(a female characteristic, I believe :rofl: )
Time to duck. :whip: :twisted:

You guys are like aeon - you just love digging yourselves into a hole... :rofl:

This place is starting to look like the Moon. :mrgreen:

And I hear a sound that Joe should recognize... the sound of wheels rolling on ties instead of rails... :rofl:

Jenny.
Helplessness is a doorway to the innermost reaches of the soul.
If my corset isn't tight, it just isn't right!
Kink is the spice of life!
Come to the Dark Side - we have cookies!
Sir Cumference

Post by Sir Cumference »

Riddle wrote:....We have almost as many topics as members, a high number of posts compared to topics, and most members never post. So, how do these numbers end up happening? ...

Sorry for being on-topic.
:oops:

If you sort the member's list after "last active", you'll see, that we actually have 7 pages of users, who have made a profile and never logged in with it.
(I've seen that on other fora too)

If you sort after "posts" you'll see that Jenny has twice as many posts as the nearest competitor, and that of 180 pages of members, the first 105 have no posts.

You can not say however, that "they make a profile and never come back", Some of the very old users (2006) with no posts, have still been around recently.
(I don't mind "lurkers". They do no harm, and some day they may have something to say)

Some time ago, we had quite a few bots making profiles, but it seems that we have fewer of those now.
Having to read, understand and answer a question is hard for the poor bots.
:whip:

But some of the old, unused accounts are probably made by bots or sweat-shoppers.

We also have a vetting-procedure, where moderators must approve the first posts of new members. That cuts down the number of spammers seen by regular users.
~ Leatherworking, blacksmithing , woodworking and programming are the most pervertable skills you can learn! ~
MsBehavin

Post by MsBehavin »

I agree with Sir C that the issue of folk becoming members but never actually posting is a common one on other forum sites too.
I have to admit I've checked in here daily for years to enjoy the repartee between the Boundanna folk but tend to quietly smile from afar rather than wade on in (no gag gags please... I'm 'D' rather than 's' :) ). My posting frequency in general has tailed off somewhat as my life situation has left less time for posting though more time for real play and those experiences are a bit too deep and personal to put into the few lines of a post.

All in all I think active members here have a nice balance of on and off topic posts and there is a really nice vibe to the 'to and fro' in some threads. There doesn't seem to be an easy answer to getting silent members to post more other than to continue to encourage them to do so.

Anyways...nuff from me for another couple of years ;)... other than to say "keep up the good work".
bound_jenny

Post by bound_jenny »

MsBehavin wrote:other than to say "keep up the good work".
That's much appreciated! Don't be shy - you give good and pertinent feedback.
MsBehavin wrote:There doesn't seem to be an easy answer to getting silent members to post more other than to continue to encourage them to do so.
Encouragement can take many forms... :whip:

Jenny.
Dark_Lizerd

Post by Dark_Lizerd »

WOW... I'm 3rd on the list, and highest non-moderator...
I didn't know I've been so busy...
And Jenny had just a hair's more than the top 3...
I guess she is as fast with the whip as her fingers are on a keyboard...
(or is it the other way around???)
All advice is checked, re-checked and verified to be questionable...
Don't ask, we both wont understand the answer...
http://www.mediafire.com/download/09dtr ... e_V2_2.exe Not just for nubies any more...
ponylady

Post by ponylady »

WOW,

this has been so derailed offtopic that i should put my egyptian matchbook to it and close the thread before someone starts talking about astronomy.

hey, why has nobody mentioned ice in this thread ?
[
Natale

Post by Natale »

Astronomy? Ice? As in the nitrogen ice on Pluto? Since liquid nitrogen freezes at minus 346 ºF, you better bring your mittens when you tour those Pluto glaciers. :mrgreen:

(the sound of more wheels rumbling on the crossties)

But ponylady, you don't have to lock it- it's on topic sometimes. :roll:
Riddle

Post by Riddle »

MsBehavin wrote:I agree with Sir C that the issue of folk becoming members but never actually posting is a common one on other forum sites too...

All in all I think active members here have a nice balance of on and off topic posts and there is a really nice vibe to the 'to and fro' in some threads. There doesn't seem to be an easy answer to getting silent members to post more other than to continue to encourage them to do so.

Anyways...nuff from me for another couple of years ;)... other than to say "keep up the good work".
I agree that the mix of posts here is nice and the friendly banter is a good part of why I enjoy the forum. The moderators not only moderate well, but also liven things up. The active members are all really good also.
Resident timer maker. :hi:
Let’s make timers together!
tiemeupalso

Post by tiemeupalso »

if every member posted every week this place woul dbe too busy to want to stay and read.
bound_jenny

Post by bound_jenny »

tiemeupalso wrote:if every member posted every week this place woul dbe too busy to want to stay and read.
That's why we have chairs and ropes. :mrgreen:

And once someone is tied down (chair ties offer many vulnerable ways to restrain someone...) :twisted:

Jenny.