Star Wars viewing order question, not bondage

Anything that does not fit any of the other categories.
Shannon SteelSlave

Star Wars viewing order question, not bondage

Post by Shannon SteelSlave »

I know this isn't bondage related, but Star Wars discussion and themes seem to play out well here, so I thought I might ask. What order did you watch the Star Wars movies?
Believe it or not, I wasn't always a Star Wars fan. I had seen some scenes of Empire Strikes Back from my cousin, particularly the lightsaber battle, and years later, I worked in a department store where we sold the toys. I had imagined quite a bit about the story from reading the boxes. In 1999, I went to the movies with an old friend and let him choose. We saw Episode 1, Phantom Menace. In 2002, I chose to see Episode 2, Clone Wars with another friend, who had seen episodes 4,5,6, but never saw the 1st episode. (We rented it a week later and watched together). In 2003, another friend loaned me episodes 4,5,6 to watch at home. In 2005, me and that same friend saw Episode 3 in theaters in 2005. Episodes 7,8,9 I saw from purchased DVDs.
That would make my order 1,2,4,5,6,3,7,8,9.
What order did you see them? You may list the ones you have seen, and let us know if we should talk you into seeing the rest.
If you haven't seen any, then what are you waiting for?
Bondage is like a foreign film without subtitles. Only through sharing and practice can we hope to understand.
A Jedi uses bondage for knowledge and defense, never for attack.
I am so smart! I am so smart! S-M-R-T!....I, I mean S-M-A-R-T!
๐Ÿ‘ ๐Ÿ‘ 
kinbaku

Re: Star Wars viewing order question, not bondage

Post by kinbaku »

I think I've seen them all, but don't ask me in which order. Usually depending on how they were shown in the cinema. Together with a friend who really knows all about movies and especially science fiction movies. He even knows where and in which screening room we saw all the films I went to see with him.

He gave me about 500 DVDs that I must watch someday. :shock: :facepalm:
Shannon SteelSlave

The chronological order was 4,5,6,1,2,3,7,8,9. (1977, 1980, 1983, 1999, 2002, 2005, 2015, 2017, 2019 respectively)
I rather liked episodes 1,2,3 for the skillful lightsaber battles. Actual fencing technique, combined with agile movement. Seeing the Jedi in their prime was better than episodes 4,5,6, where we had an old man who resembled hitting a stray animal with an umbrella, a half robot half man swinging a fly swatter without expression, and a kid just learning who wielded his like a baseball bat. I later read why many people disliked 1,2,3. It was because they explained too much, and stole the imaginations of the fans of 4,5,6, who knew of the Old Republic from the anecdotes of the likes of Obi-Wan and Yoda.
Bondage is like a foreign film without subtitles. Only through sharing and practice can we hope to understand.
๐Ÿ‘ ๐Ÿ‘ 
ruru67

Post by ruru67 »

I saw them in the order they came out, at least for the main trilogy - starting in 1977. I was 9; it basically changed my life.

In quick summary:

Episode 4-6 are the original trilogy ('77-'84); episodes 1-4 ('99-''05) form the prequel trilogy, followed by the sequel trilogy , episodes 7-9 ('15-'19). That's the order they were conceived and produced, so that's one approach to seeing them.

Alternatively, you can watch them in episode order, 1-9. That makes sense from a storytelling sequence.

Episodes 1-3 were pretty much conceived together, so whatever you think of them (most people think the prequel trilogy was the weakest of the three), you really need to see all three in order. Doesn't make much sense otherwise.

Episode 4 is a stand-alone story, but Episodes 5 & 6 round out the original trilogy, and don't make much sense alone. In general the original trilogy is the best of the three, all fairly strong.

Episode 7 is again pretty much stand-alone with weak links into episodes 8-9, which again don't make much sense if you don't watch all three. I think the story writing was a bit lazy - J. J. Abrams seems to think that viewers won't notice that the plot makes no sense if you keep them entertained with lots of action and special effects (true of just about everything he's done). Production values are great, it's fun to watch, but the stories just don't stand up to any serious scrutiny. Ep 7 just rips off plot elements from the earlier films, mostly Ep. 4. Abrams didn't do Ep. 8 and it suffers less as a result.

Speaking of production values, Ep. 4 looks pretty bad these days, although when it came out in '77 it blew everyone away. (IMAO, the effects in 2001: A Space Odyssey, back in '68 were better, but were much more sparingly used. That level of realism - or Kubrick's perfectionism - just couldn't have been sustained for a film as effects-heavy as Star Wars.)

Eps 5 & 6 just get better, pushing what could be done with practical effects. The prequel series look good, but the CGI looks seriously dated and is badly overused. The sequel trilogy's visuals are terrific; it's just a pity they're used to paper over so many really big holes in the plot. (Not that any of the films have any shortage of ill-though-out plot elements.)

You could skip the prequel series; the characters' back-stories were pretty loosely conceived back when the original trilogy was made, and don't need the prequels to prop the characters or story-line up, consequently the prequels feel a bit superfluous - like reinforcing a perfectly sound structure, or a geek explaining something past the interest of the listener... For that reason, you could watch the prequel trilogy any time; it won't affect your enjoyment of the other two trilogies.

I'd also watch Rogue One before Ep. 4, as it has a nice segue into the original film (although going from 2016 to 1977 visuals is a bit jarring).
Shannon SteelSlave

Thank you for sharing, Ru. I agree that the best way to enjoy them is in theatrical release order. I find my experience to be unique.
Episode 4 can stand alone as it had everything a stand alone movie should, including a happy ending. George Lucas had no idea it would be so popular. Fun fact, many movie goers of episode 4 were very confused by seeing the film start by flashing the words "Episode IV". Many people in the audience were wondering if they missed the first 3.
You are right about 1,2,and 3 being somewhat redundant. We might not have needed them, but I did enjoy, most of them. I did enjoy watching Anakin evolve into a finely disciplined warrior, and found his fall from grace to be most interesting. His story would not have been possible without the dying wish of Qui Gon Ginn, and I would assume a last rights wish of a Jedi Master is the law in the Jedi order. I get choked up when I see the smiles of the adoptive parents of the Skywalker kids when they receive their children. I thought it was incredibly lame how they finished Yoda's story in episode 3. I would have written it so that Yoda would have given all against Palpatine, and maybe buried under rubble, not to be found by the enemy, who would be distracted by Darth Vader;s 1st defeat, but maybe found and dug out by Obi-Wan and Senator Organa.
However, Luke eloquently explained that the theme of the Old Republic Jedi was failure. Again, I believe it was a misread prophecy, fueled by Qui Gon's defiance that is the central engine for their failure.
I am not a member of, or have ever read any Star Wars forums. All of my information has been gathered from personal thought, conversations with friends, and extras on DVDs, with some basic news stories.
๐Ÿ‘ ๐Ÿ‘ 
ponylady

Post by ponylady »

Lifelong trekkie here. Never seen any star wars movie, and since disney is now milking them, probably never will.
[
Shannon SteelSlave

ponylady wrote:Lifelong trekkie here.
Never seen Star Trek. Maybe you start a thread that will turn me onto it?
ponylady wrote: Never seen any star wars movie, and since disney is now milking them, probably never will.
Yes, episodes 7-9 were done by Disney, and share too much of a pattern to 4,5,6. One can almost directly reassign roles and occurrences from 4,5,6 to the new characters and events of 7,8,9.
I think I am done as well. Anything outside of the "Skywalker Saga" (Episodes 1-9) don't seem to interest me. Maybe your only remaining possibility in seeing them is to fully understand my GIFs, Memes and references. :rofl:
๐Ÿ‘ ๐Ÿ‘ 
bound_jenny

Post by bound_jenny »

ponylady wrote:Lifelong trekkie here.
Lifelong Trekkie here too. :hi:

I vagueley remember watching the first movie on TV way back, and maybe the second.

I believe that in the cylinder firing order that would be 4 and 5.

So, basically I'm a Star Wars pagan.

I suspect that there's a generational component. I had Star Trek and the Apollo moon missions to compound my errant ways. Plus some of Gerry Anderson's work. And a boatload of science encyclopedias (encyclopediae) in my parents' bookcase. More Spock than Skywalker.

Live long and prosper! :mrgreen:

Jenny.
Helplessness is a doorway to the innermost reaches of the soul.
If my corset isn't tight, it just isn't right!
Kink is the spice of life!
Come to the Dark Side - we have cookies!
Shannon SteelSlave

Thank you Jenny, for your input, and more than that, your tolerance of my sorcerer's ways. (Vader joke)
I feel like if I h\get turned onto Star Trek, it will be from reading here.
๐Ÿ‘ ๐Ÿ‘ 
JIMDINI

Post by JIMDINI »

bound_jenny wrote:Lifelong Trekkie here too.

I vagueley remember watching the first movie on TV way back, and maybe the second.

I believe that in the cylinder firing order that would be 4 and 5.

So, basically I'm a Star Wars pagan.

I suspect that there's a generational component. I had Star Trek and the Apollo moon missions to compound my errant ways. Plus some of Gerry Anderson's work. And a boatload of science encyclopedias (encyclopediae) in my parents' bookcase. More Spock than Skywalker.

Live long and prosper!

Jenny.
Life long Trekkie too, but Sci Fi buff (written, film and TV) as well.

I grew up with Gerry Anderson (Supercar, Fireball XL5, Stingray, Thunderbirds, Captain Scarlet, UFO, Space 1999 and yes even Space Precinct.) and Doctor Who as well as Star Trek. Cut my teeth reading E E 'Doc' Smith, Isaac Asimov, Robert Heinlen, etc.

Saw Star Wars (including Rogue One) in order of release.
ruru67 wrote:I'd also watch Rogue One before Ep. 4, as it has a nice segue into the original film (although going from 2016 to 1977 visuals is a bit jarring).

Try watching the old cinema Flash Gordon serials, even the copy effects in Flash Gordon show how visual effects have come along by leaps and bounds. Although some of the effects in Star Trek original series hold up surprisingly well (despite the cheap sets.
Never confuse your ambitions with your abilities. If you can't free yourself, who will?
When your helpless, you have no choice but to wait.
Shannon SteelSlave

Thanks Jim. Do you agree that in a Tarrantino kind of way, theatrical release order is best?
๐Ÿ‘ ๐Ÿ‘ 
Gregovic

Post by Gregovic »

I honestly can't remember what order I watched the Star Wars movies. I THINK it was 4,5,6, 1,2,3. I haven't seen any of the Disney Star Wars movies. Started watching Star Trek only about a year ago (TOS, then TNG, DS9, Voyager, now working my way through Enterprise as long as it remains on Netflix in NL). I've got to say I too would sooner call myself a Trekkie (Though I hold a lot of love for Stargate and Firefly too). I found Star Wars Episode IV, V and VI to be better movies to I, II and III. They're all very good, but it just doesn't meet the Lore of Star Trek I feel.
Last edited by Gregovic on 15 Dec 2022, 10:27, edited 1 time in total.
How may I serve you? *Curtsey*
Shannon SteelSlave

Thank you, Greg, for sharing. I am trying to get into Start Trek, could use some help from the gang here. Might make me more interesting here.
๐Ÿ‘ ๐Ÿ‘ 
JIMDINI

Post by JIMDINI »

Shannon SteelSlave wrote:Thanks Jim. Do you agree that in a Tarrantino kind of way, theatrical release order is best?
Yes, especially as it feels like we have discovered an archive from ' a galaxy Far Far Away ', our interest being tweaked by Ep's 3, 4, and 5.
Shannon SteelSlave wrote:Thank you, Greg, for sharing. I am trying to get into Start Trek, could use some help from the gang here. Might make me more interesting here.

Star Trek has a better under lying lore than many other Sci Fi franchises, and does it's best to stick to this even in recent remakes. Even the prequel series 'Enterprise' aims towards developing this lore.

Raises a little hope of humanity developing.
Never confuse your ambitions with your abilities. If you can't free yourself, who will?
When your helpless, you have no choice but to wait.
bound_jenny

Post by bound_jenny »

JIMDINI wrote:Star Trek has a better under lying lore than many other Sci Fi franchises, and does it's best to stick to this even in recent remakes. Even the prequel series 'Enterprise' aims towards developing this lore.
That's exactly it. Not in release order, it starts with "Enterprise", then "Discovery" (I love it), "Star Trek" the original series, "The Next Generation", "Deep Space Nine", "Voyager", etc. Release order puts "Enterprise" and "Discovery" at the end.

Some of the latest movies tend to stray from "canon", as they say. They also tend to have less plot and rely more on loud noises and special effects. The earlier movies, using the cast of the aforementioned shows, are much closer to the established lore.

And now the countless fan productions on YouTube, both series and movies, some of which are surprisingly good.

Like the countess stars of the sky, there's no lack of talent.

Jenny.
Helplessness is a doorway to the innermost reaches of the soul.
If my corset isn't tight, it just isn't right!
Kink is the spice of life!
Come to the Dark Side - we have cookies!