Star Wars viewing order question, not bondage

Anything that does not fit any of the other categories.
Gregovic

Re: Star Wars viewing order question, not bondage

Post by Gregovic »

Shannon SteelSlave wrote:Thank you, Greg, for sharing. I am trying to get into Start Trek, could use some help from the gang here. Might make me more interesting here.
Personally I just started watching at Season 1 episode 1 of the Original Series. It takes a bit of adjustment of expectations if you're used to modern series. It's very definitely a product of it's time (Even if they tried not to be, there's very definitely some 60s sexism/misogyny on display at times) and probably slightly too ambitious for the budget available. Give it some time though and imho the wobbly sets fall to the background and the stories take the attention. There's plenty of misses but also a lot of very good, thought provoking story lines. Plus it doesn't hurt that you regularly go: "OH, so THAT'S where that trope/meme/reference in "insert modern show" comes from. If you want to start with a series that aligns slightly more with the experience of modern series then TNG might also be a good jumping off point. Still very "baddy of the week" episodic so easy to binge watch. DS9 is much more story focussed, Voyager is somewhere in between. All series have things that probably require some thinking about in the context of the time the series were broadcast (Like Enterprise's T'Pol and Pa'Nar syndrome or basically Voyagers Chakotay's entire "native American" aspects which are... not great)

It's a shame I don't currently have access to view the "Star Trek: Lower Decks" series. I've heard a lot of good things about it.
How may I serve you? *Curtsey*
kinbaku

Post by kinbaku »

I also like Star Trek, but the first ones from Gene Roddenberry with Kirk as captain, less so from the later versions.
They are probably a bit outdated now, but still worth watching.

Maybe because I come from the Thunderbirds time :facepalm: . Nostalgia?
bound_jenny

Post by bound_jenny »

kinbaku wrote:I also like Star Trek, but the first ones from Gene Roddenberry with Kirk as captain, less so from the later versions.
They are probably a bit outdated now, but still worth watching.
Definitely worth it. It gives one an idea of what Picard meant in The Next Generation when he mentioned "cowboy diplomacy". Kirk's time was a different one, of pioneering exploration beyond the bounds of known space. He took risks that usually paid off.

It's great entertainment value, sometimes injecting some humor into situations ("The Trouble With Tribbles").

Roddenberry was also making many social statements despite the morals of the time.
kinbaku wrote:Maybe because I come from the Thunderbirds time . Nostalgia?
So am I. :rofl:

But it was fun, wasn't it? (I have the entire series on Blu-Ray :wink: ).

Jenny.
Helplessness is a doorway to the innermost reaches of the soul.
If my corset isn't tight, it just isn't right!
Kink is the spice of life!
Come to the Dark Side - we have cookies!
JIMDINI

Post by JIMDINI »

bound_jenny wrote:Roddenberry was also making many social statements despite the morals of the time.

kinbaku wrote:
Maybe because I come from the Thunderbirds time . Nostalgia?

So am I.

But it was fun, wasn't it? (I have the entire series on Blu-Ray ).

Jenny.
In many ways a man ahead of his times and yet in others, a man of his times. :love:

Would that be the 'Thunderbirds' or 'Star Trek' (OS) on Blu-Ray :?:
Never confuse your ambitions with your abilities. If you can't free yourself, who will?
When your helpless, you have no choice but to wait.
kinbaku

Post by kinbaku »

JIMDINI wrote:Would that be the 'Thunderbirds' or 'Star Trek' (OS) on Blu-Ray :?:
For me, I have them both (Thunderbirds and Star Trek), but only on DVD.
I'm jealous of Jenny's Blu-Ray, because I bought a Blu-Ray-Player this year. :facepalm: :rofl:
bound_jenny

Post by bound_jenny »

JIMDINI wrote:Would that be the 'Thunderbirds' or 'Star Trek' (OS) on Blu-Ray
Thunderbirds! 8)

Other Gerry Anderson series include Captain Scarlet, UFO and Space:1999.

The Star Trek series I have on Blu-Ray is Discovery. Season 4 is out on DVD/Blu-Ray so I'll be grabbing that soon. Very good series even if their ship runs on magic mushrooms... :rofl:

Jenny.
Helplessness is a doorway to the innermost reaches of the soul.
If my corset isn't tight, it just isn't right!
Kink is the spice of life!
Come to the Dark Side - we have cookies!