Critical thinking skills are not taught in American schools!

Anything that does not fit any of the other categories.
Riddle

Critical thinking skills are not taught in American schools!

Post by Riddle »

It came to my attention today that critical thinking skills are not taught in American schools. Lacking those skills makes self-bondage much more risky by not allowing the person to critically think through their scenarios. Are these skills taught in your country? Do you have any suggestions on thought processes for self-bondage and bondage?
Resident timer maker. :hi:
Let’s make timers together!
kinbaku

Re: Critical thinking skills are not taught in American scho

Post by kinbaku »

I think that in a lot of countries it falls short of learning in school. Apart from a few special schools that pay attention to this, too little attention is paid to real life: how do you deal with other people, money, problems, sex, health, nutrition, different cultural differences, different worldviews, ...

One learns how much one plus one is, but not that two people can have a different opinion about a subject and how you deal with it.
One learns how to send a message via the computer, but not how to write something useful for humanity in that message.
And so I can fill another ten pages ... :wink:

In any case, self-bondage requires you to be able to make a plan and see what can go wrong in every part of that plan.
And then rethink the plan over and over again. With a critical eye for yourself and your own flaws.
Last edited by kinbaku on 27 Sep 2022, 02:01, edited 1 time in total.
Gregovic

Post by Gregovic »

The big problem is always that the people most interested in deciding what the outcome of critical thinking should be are also the ones most likely (and most vocal) to get involved in making such decisions on curriculum. I agree it SHOULD be taught but from what I've seen in the majority of countries there's too many religious wingnuts from all sides who want to make sure it's only their particular brand of "critical thinking" (ie, only be critical of things we disagree with. Don't question what WE say you should do)
How may I serve you? *Curtsey*
bound_jenny

Post by bound_jenny »

Just a little reminder to keep it out of either politics or religion. Whenever that happens, my whip starts twitching... :shock:

In my opinion, the best place for any child to learn critical thinking is in the home. That and many other life skills for later on.

My parents raised me with my head screwed on straight (well... there's a bit of a slack in the u-joint, but that's just a "kink" in the mechanism :wink: ). There was no such thing taught in schools, even in my time. I was encouraged to think for myself, and raised with basic values such as respect for others and respect for other people's private property, politeness, and looking ahead to gauge the consequences of my actions (which may be benefiting me in the short term, but not necessarily in the long run). Basically, what one would call "completing the sentence".

What is terrible is that parents - with a few exceptions - don't bother teaching their children these basic principles, leaving that to the jungle that is public schooling, or TV, or worse yet, the tangled morass of the Internet.

There is where the solution should be applied. At home. You can't count on most schools, of any grade, to fill the void; they are the void.

jm2c

Jenny.
Helplessness is a doorway to the innermost reaches of the soul.
If my corset isn't tight, it just isn't right!
Kink is the spice of life!
Come to the Dark Side - we have cookies!
ponylady

Post by ponylady »

I have to wholeheartedly agree with jenny.

Too often tasks that are classical parental guidance & education are delegated to schools.
But schools neither get the human resources means or funds to fulfill these tasks.

It isn‘t coincidence that autocratic regimes left & right try to monopolize child education
As one of the most important tasks.

Critical thinking is one of the most basic skills that falls into parents prerogrative. Schools should
Only supplement this, in the interest of preserving a diverse opinion base.
[
kinbaku

Post by kinbaku »

It is and remains the primary responsibility of parents to educate their children well.
But there is always the danger that the children will then be brought up in the same way as the parents.
It is then the task of the school to make children aware and to teach them to think critically about other ways of seeing the world.

In this way they can later determine their own point of view after critically thinking about it for themselves.

I was fortunate that both my parents and my grandparents were already very open-minded. Both very strongly believing, but after a certain age I was allowed to choose my own path. So I didn't even need school to introduce me to other cultures, ways of life, ...
But I am convinced that it is not the case in all family situations. :(
Shannon SteelSlave

Post by Shannon SteelSlave »

misery-depressed.gif
misery-depressed.gif (74.17 KiB) Viewed 373 times
I think its time for another vacation.
Ok, so
2-34782-swag-generic-hey-teacher--0.png
just won't fly?
Bondage is like a foreign film without subtitles. Only through sharing and practice can we hope to understand.
A Jedi uses bondage for knowledge and defense, never for attack.
I am so smart! I am so smart! S-M-R-T!....I, I mean S-M-A-R-T!
👠👠
Lotharjulz

Post by Lotharjulz »