How Would This Work / How Effective Is It?

Anything that does not fit any of the other categories.
ciaranefc

How Would This Work / How Effective Is It?

Post by ciaranefc »

Hi all, sorry if this is in the wrong place - I'm happy to move it but wasn't sure where it belongs!

Anyway I'm listening to a fictional crime-story podcast (it's called The Angel of Vine and it's pretty good if you want to check it out), and without spoiling it, in one episode our main character is investigating stealthily and finds a kinky lair that he doesn't get (it's set in the 1950s so it was a very different time).

One thing I don't get is the description of how effective a tie he saw described while he was there would be:

Drape a long cord around the back of the neck, between the thighs up to the wrists; pull as tight as you can on each wrist separately. The more the captive struggles, the tighter it will become.

I'm having a bit of trouble visualising this or how it would work exactly; is anyone able to help?

If it does help he later explains to his friend that there were "Hooks on the walls" and "They tied them to a board", if either of those have any bearing on it.

Thanks to anyone who is able to explain this!
Last edited by ciaranefc on 05 Jul 2022, 10:20, edited 2 times in total.
kinbaku

Re: How Would This Work / How Effective Is It?

Post by kinbaku »

ciaranefc wrote:Drape a long cord around the back of the neck, between the thighs up to the wrists; pull as tight as you can on each wrist separately. The more the captive struggles, the tighter it will become.
... there were "Hooks on the walls" and "They tied them to a board", if either of those have any bearing on it.

Thanks to anyone who is able to explain this!
It's like the beginning of how karada harnesses are tied (this time without the knots in the front):
- put the middle of the rope at the back of your neck with both ends at the front of your body
- bring these ends back between your legs
- now tie the ends to the leather wrist cuffs on the hands on your back (to prevent blood flow from stopping at the wrists if you would tie the ends directly to the wrists)
- tighten it enough so that the hands are pressed against the buttocks.

When he wants to move his hands back, this pulls the rope forward behind his neck.
With a hook on the wall at a sufficient height, you can hang the rope behind his neck on this hook, so that the hands are pressed even more against the buttocks.

NOTE: This is a description from a fantasy story. I would never try it myself.
There's nothing to stop the rope from squeezing your arteries on either side of your neck and thus strangling you.
You could prevent this by hanging that rope on 2 hooks at a horizontal distance of 25 cm (10 inch) so that they stay at a distance on either side of your neck like the sequel of the story. This in turn means that your entire weight rests on the ropes between your legs and you run the risk that the veins between your legs are cut off from a good blood flow.
ciaranefc

Post by ciaranefc »

Ahh thanks.

In the next episode the person whose place it is described it as a "G-string tie".
kinbaku

Post by kinbaku »

ciaranefc wrote:In the next episode the person whose place it is described it as a "G-string tie".
This is an old one. :wink: You find the link in viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1119&p=103480&hilit ... ie#p103480.
This karada starts just like the one above (drawing number 1), but instead of going between the legs it goes straight back to the back reducing the danger of blocking your main arteries of the neck (drawing number 2).