Seriously?

Anything that does not fit any of the other categories.
bound_jenny

Re: Seriously?

Post by bound_jenny »

CheerfullyInsane wrote:Scientists have calculated that the chance of anything so patently absurd actually existing are millions to one. But magicians have calculated that million-to-one chances crop up nine times out of ten."
Darn magicians screwing up reality all the time.... :x

grumble-grumble-grumble

:mrgreen:

Jenny.
Helplessness is a doorway to the innermost reaches of the soul.
If my corset isn't tight, it just isn't right!
Kink is the spice of life!
Come to the Dark Side - we have cookies!
JIMDINI

Post by JIMDINI »

bound_jenny wrote:Darn magicians screwing up reality all the time....

grumble-grumble-grumble

Jenny.
Quite, rely on scientists.

"DON'T PANIC", just use the Improbability drive!
Never confuse your ambitions with your abilities. If you can't free yourself, who will?
When your helpless, you have no choice but to wait.
JIMDINI

Post by JIMDINI »

Never confuse your ambitions with your abilities. If you can't free yourself, who will?
bound_jenny

Post by bound_jenny »

I remember, way way back (back when the wire sticking out of the back of the TV set was connected to a rabbit ears antenna :shock: ), watching that series on TV.

Hilarious. 8)

Jenny.
ruru67

Post by ruru67 »

bound_jenny wrote:I remember, way way back (back when the wire sticking out of the back of the TV set was connected to a rabbit ears antenna :shock: ), watching that series on TV.
Oh Gods, rabbit ears. Ugh. Loved HHGTG, first heard a few episodes on the radio, then the TV series (rabbit ears, or worse), read all the books. Somehow I no longer have a single one in my possession - I do have a couple of other Douglas Adams books around; also a 1988 edition of Neil Gaiman's "Don't Panic: The Official Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy Companion". There was also the 2005 film, which was not terrible.

I might be fan.

Trivia: the HHGTG TV theme is from the Eagles' "Journey of the Sorcerer": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZdZKolMIl0
lj

Post by lj »

Somewhere I have a cassette tape (remember those?) with the complete HHTTG radio series, from which the TV series was produced (missing an awful lot of good stuff) and then the film, which missed a lot of the subtle humour in Douglas Adams writing. I do have a "special edition" of the book with a sparkly cover!

I put Douglas Adams and Terry Pratchett in a similar category, very intelligent wit coupled with completely off-the-wall invention. Not sure it is a style that travels across the world, some countries' mind-set don't seem to grasp the humour...
be a switch, double the fun :-)
kinbaku

Post by kinbaku »

ruru67 wrote:
bound_jenny wrote:I remember, way way back (back when the wire sticking out of the back of the TV set was connected to a rabbit ears antenna :shock: ), watching that series on TV.
Oh Gods, rabbit ears. Ugh. Loved HHGTG, first heard a few episodes on the radio, then the TV series (rabbit ears, or worse), read all the books. Somehow I no longer have a single one in my possession - I do have a couple of other Douglas Adams books around; also a 1988 edition of Neil Gaiman's "Don't Panic: The Official Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy Companion". There was also the 2005 film, which was not terrible.

I might be fan.

Trivia: the HHGTG TV theme is from the Eagles' "Journey of the Sorcerer": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZdZKolMIl0
For those who want to rewatch the movie or never had a chance to see it: https://freemoviesfull.com/watch-movie/ ... 98.2508862
CheerfullyInsane

Post by CheerfullyInsane »

HHGTG is good. It's what originally got me started on Pratchett and Gaiman. And very few characters can rival Marvin the Paranoid Android.
Doesn't exactly hurt that Douglas used to work with Monty Python. :)

But Pratchett is Douglas to the Nth degree.
It's like reading Beowulf. And then reading The Hobbit.
It's not that the original is bad, it's just that people are able to build on it.
Just like the later works of Pratchett ("Interesting Times" and "Small Gods" for example), are infinitely better than his earlier works.

And whatever you do, don't watch the TV-series/Movie/Cartoon adaptation of either of their work (Or Gaimans for that matter).
Hollywood (or your national counter-part) has become very good at what it does. And it's very good at action, flash, and wonderful imagery.
But the silver screen simply cannot compete with a human imagination set alight by the written word.
You can easily have a script without a movie. But you can't have a movie without a script.

And my apologies for sounding like an 18th century librarian. :mrgreen:
JIMDINI

Post by JIMDINI »

CheerfullyInsane wrote:And my apologies for sounding like an 18th century librarian.

Oook! eeeK!
bound_jenny

Post by bound_jenny »

CheerfullyInsane wrote:And my apologies for sounding like an 18th century librarian.
We could arrange it that you look like one. :idea:

Small round glasses, hair tightly pulled back in a bun, and maybe a lovely dress like this one:
18librarian-sml.jpg
We'd probably need to stick a small piece of lemon in your cheek so you get that pinched spinster face look.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Jenny.
Shannon SteelSlave

Post by Shannon SteelSlave »

index.jpg
index.jpg (7.53 KiB) Viewed 676 times
Good, I need help finding the Kamino system.
Bondage is like a foreign film without subtitles. Only through sharing and practice can we hope to understand.
A Jedi uses bondage for knowledge and defense, never for attack.
I am so smart! I am so smart! S-M-R-T!....I, I mean S-M-A-R-T!
👠👠
kinbaku

Post by kinbaku »

Shannon SteelSlave wrote:Good, I need help finding the Kamino system.
Best consult Obi-Wan Kenobi: "Tracking a bounty hunter who had attempted an assassination on an important political figure, Jedi Master Obi-Wan Kenobi discovered that the system was erased from the Jedi Archives (As a Jedi, that's why you don't find it). After flying to the supposed whereabouts of the system, he discovered that it indeed existed. He also made the shocking discovery of a Clone Army bred for the Galactic Republic."

It is just south of the Rishi Maze. Always go straight and turn left on time. :rofl:
bound_jenny

Post by bound_jenny »

And I got "second star to the right and on till morning". :?

Solar storms must be fouling up the GPS again... :facepalm:

Jenny.
kinbaku

Post by kinbaku »

bound_jenny wrote:And I got "second star to the right and on till morning". :?

Solar storms must be fouling up the GPS again... :facepalm:

Jenny.
https://www.swpc.noaa.gov/news/geomagne ... -30-31-oct
My navigation computer tilts. Fortunately I now know that at the 2nd star it has to be right after the big bend around the lagoon nebula. :rofl:
bound_jenny

Post by bound_jenny »

kinbaku wrote:https://www.swpc.noaa.gov/news/geomagne ... -30-31-oct
My navigation computer tilts. Fortunately I now know that at the 2nd star it has to be right after the big bend around the lagoon nebula.
:facepalm:

That's another one of those things where I say something completely in jest and.... it happens. :rofl:

Take us out of orbit, Mr. Kinbaku, and set a course for Altair VI, warp factor five.

(though my starship would look more like one from the nasty alternate Spock-with-a-beard universe... :twisted: )

Jenny.