3G network shutting down for AT&T in 2022?

Anything that does not fit any of the other categories.
Shannon SteelSlave

3G network shutting down for AT&T in 2022?

Post by Shannon SteelSlave »

Sorry peeps, hate to post too much non-bondage stuff, but I need help. I have a 3G phone, and my cell provider just sent me a message that I need to upgrade. The thing is I don't wanna! :cry: I don't have time fah' 'dis! I have been using my keyboard phone for 12 years and just bought a refurbished version of it to carry me further.I am so slow on the uptake of technology and buzz words, I once thought an iPod Mini was an electric English car! My previous phone had a rotary dial and rabbit ears antenna. I used to be able to call a telephone number by whistling the digits like Joy Bubbles.
Ok, sorry for dumping on you, and reverting to my thick New England accent. I am a realist, and knew this day would come. Part of my reason for staying with my old cellular tele was privacy. I figured it had less tracking ability being such an obsolete device. I have thought of getting a "burner" prepaid. What would you do if you were in this mess? Can I just cram a 4G or 5G Sim card in there? Pretty handy with a soldering iron. Do I have 2 years to figure something out? 'Cause I am just way too busy right now.
Thanks for your help, my friends. Especially for listening to my gripes.
Bondage is like a foreign film without subtitles. Only through sharing and practice can we hope to understand.
A Jedi uses bondage for knowledge and defense, never for attack.
I am so smart! I am so smart! S-M-R-T!....I, I mean S-M-A-R-T!
👠👠
Gregovic

Re: 3G network shutting down for AT&T in 2022?

Post by Gregovic »

What type of phone do you have? Unfortunately the differences between 3G and 4G mean that it's not just a matter of putting in a different sim card. There's differences in the radio protocols used that mean you really need a different modem chip, which is unlikely to be retrofittable.

It might be possible to find a phone that is as close as possible to what you have now so that switching won't be too hard (you don't HAVE to buy a smartphone, there's plenty of non-smartphones available)
How may I serve you? *Curtsey*
Shannon SteelSlave

Kaiser 8925, also known as "AT&T Tilt"
Bondage is like a foreign film without subtitles. Only through sharing and practice can we hope to understand.
👠👠
Riddle

Post by Riddle »

:rofl: Not rollin’ with the latest smartphone?

https://www.electronicsforce.com/sideki ... 31pq5ad4k6
Resident timer maker. :hi:
Let’s make timers together!
Gregovic

Post by Gregovic »

Shannon SteelSlave wrote:Kaiser 8925, also known as "AT&T Tilt"
That's gonna be tricky. Your current phone is running a very old version windows mobile. Unfortunately Microsoft has discontinued Windows-CE Mobile some time back and even Windows 10 Mobile is no longer in support. Keyboard slider phones have fallen out of favour in general.

What are you using your phone for? Phone calls, text messages, email, browsing? Any specific network/provider you would like to use?
How may I serve you? *Curtsey*
Shannon SteelSlave

I use my phone for calls, text, and occasionally saving house measurements and shopping lists. I shut down video and picture messaging after a long lost cousin sent me stuff and added $20 USD to my bill in just 10 minutes. I might also use it to tell what time it is. I hear new phones have cameras nowadays.
👠👠
GeneralError

Post by GeneralError »

You could setup your own 3G network and so keep your good old cellphone forever. See
https://www.technologyreview.com/2010/0 ... r-network/ or here for a bit more professional approach https://4ksolutions.com/solutions/deplo ... -3g4g-gsm/
:rofl:
Shannon SteelSlave

Let's do it. Easier to learn network set up than all these buzz words, like bluetooth, and such.
👠👠
kinbaku

Post by kinbaku »

I understand your concern. At the time I had to buy a smartphone against my will for a job that I did. :cry:
But it also has its advantages. I have two apps on it for recognizing plants. For example, yesterday I was able to warn the friend with whom I was walking when she was stung by giant hogweed (Heracleum mantegazzianum). It causes severe burns, which are best rinsed with water and a burn ointment, and keep out of the sun. On the spot, in the middle of the forest, I had already treated her skin with plantain (Plantago).
I also have an app on it for watching 3D sex movies with a cardboard while tied up in a spread eagle on the bed. :facepalm:
So consider it before you build your own network. :wink:
Last edited by kinbaku on 23 Jul 2020, 23:13, edited 1 time in total.
bound_jenny

Post by bound_jenny »

Ha! I'm still using my Samsung flip phone I bought back in 2012.

It can only pull 3Gs...

I had to look just now to see the tiny 3G icon in the display... :rofl:

I get a lot of odd looks when I pull it out for a call. :shock: :?

It makes phone calls, and receives them. It's not the size of a dinner plate. What else could you need? It's a phone! :mrgreen:

And I love it. :love:

Jenny.
Helplessness is a doorway to the innermost reaches of the soul.
If my corset isn't tight, it just isn't right!
Kink is the spice of life!
Come to the Dark Side - we have cookies!
kinbaku

Post by kinbaku »

bound_jenny wrote: What else could you need? It's a phone! :mrgreen:
A phone shouldn't be more.
Nowadays you have to find out how to make calls with your mobile phone, with all the possibilities it has (photography, filming, internet, facebook, instagram, mail, making payments, apps, ...).
It seems to be forgotten that a mobile phone also serves to make calls. :rofl:
tiemeupalso

Post by tiemeupalso »

bound_jenny wrote:Ha! I'm still using my Samsung flip phone I bought back in 2012.

It can only pull 3Gs...

I had to look just now to see the tiny 3G icon in the display... :rofl:

I get a lot of odd looks when I pull it out for a call. :shock: :?

It makes phone calls, and receives them. It's not the size of a dinner plate. What else could you need? It's a phone! :mrgreen:

And I love it. :love:

Jenny.
i am too.f i want anything else i use my
laptop.
Shannon SteelSlave

bound_jenny wrote:Ha! I'm still using my Samsung flip phone I bought back in 2012.It can only pull 3Gs... I had to look just now to see the tiny 3G icon in the display... :rofl: I love it. :love: Jenny.
Ha ha! I have had my cellular telephone machine since February, 2008.
I am not sure your carrier, but if you love that 3g icon, you may want to take a picture of it soon. AT&T is shutting it down in 2022, T-Mobile, late 2021, and Verizon, end of 2020.
At least I am not alone. I'll let you know how if I can create SteelSlave Wireless before yours is up.
👠👠
kinbaku

Post by kinbaku »

Shannon SteelSlave wrote:
bound_jenny wrote:Ha! I'm still using my Samsung flip phone I bought back in 2012.It can only pull 3Gs... I had to look just now to see the tiny 3G icon in the display... :rofl: I love it. :love: Jenny.
At least I am not alone. I'll let you know how if I can create SteelSlave Wireless before yours is up.
Maybe Jenny can be on your network. At least 2 people happy and 2 (loving) birds with one stone (3G SteelSlave Wireless).
Shannon SteelSlave

Is there anyone else interested in my proposal for a "cans tied with a string" network? It will be off to the Development board if there are enough takers.
👠👠