3G network shutting down for AT&T in 2022?

Anything that does not fit any of the other categories.
kinbaku

Re: 3G network shutting down for AT&T in 2022?

Post by kinbaku »

Shannon SteelSlave wrote:Is there anyone else interested in my proposal for a "cans tied with a string" network? It will be off to the Development board if there are enough takers.
I'm interested, but I think you need a long wire. Just start unraveling all your cords and you will be ready for the connection in 2022. I already have my can with a hole and a needle ready. :)
bound_jenny

Post by bound_jenny »

My provider runs off the Bell network. I haven't had any word from my provider as to cutting off 3G signals. I should be OK for a while. I might go for another flip phone at one point, but nothing in the dinner-plate size class. It just has to do phone calls. I don't need an integrated vacuum cleaner or corn popper.

As for the tin cans, I think it's going to be a tad complicated on the diplomatic side to get that wire across the border. Then there's the mighty St Lawrence river - maybe we can get some of Sir C's trained hamsters to string it across our new Champlain Bridge (replacing the old one that was holding together with scotch tape and baling wire :shock: ). Distance-wise, we might need some kind of repeater system, possibly the Flintstone system with parrots at regular intervals relaying the voices along.

Jenny wanna cracker... :rofl:

Jenny.
Helplessness is a doorway to the innermost reaches of the soul.
If my corset isn't tight, it just isn't right!
Kink is the spice of life!
Come to the Dark Side - we have cookies!
Shannon SteelSlave

Post by Shannon SteelSlave »

So the company sent me a phone with Android operating system. If I don't activate it in 30 days, they will do it for me. I have no time to shop around for a different carrier or service. My only fear at this point is that my phone bill could increase. I never used my old phone for anything except phone calls, camera, and calculator. Are there any settings I can alter to prevent my new phone from accessing the internet?
If anyone wants to do a Lando Calrissian impression and ask if I am having trouble with my 'droid, I will be happy to do an Obi Wan impression, as I really don't recall ever owning a 'droid, and genuinely find it curious.
Bondage is like a foreign film without subtitles. Only through sharing and practice can we hope to understand.
A Jedi uses bondage for knowledge and defense, never for attack.
I am so smart! I am so smart! S-M-R-T!....I, I mean S-M-A-R-T!
👠👠
KinkInSpace

Post by KinkInSpace »

You should be able to still use your old phone. Without 3G it only means you lose internet connectivity, but calling and texting should still be possible because they need to be possible on any band such that you can call 911. The 3G is mostly for data which is used for internet. If you are okay with not having an internet connection on your phone, the old one should do just fine.

Also, WiFi is obviously not affected either, so you can still use WiFi to navigate the internet.
Formally known as Slave_L.
I'm not yet very comfortable expressing my love for kink from my private life. I will therefor hide behind my username KinkInSpace and not allow any connections to who I really am. I'm sure you'll understand.
Gregovic

Post by Gregovic »

KinkInSpace wrote:You should be able to still use your old phone. Without 3G it only means you lose internet connectivity, but calling and texting should still be possible because they need to be possible on any band such that you can call 911. The 3G is mostly for data which is used for internet. If you are okay with not having an internet connection on your phone, the old one should do just fine.

Also, WiFi is obviously not affected either, so you can still use WiFi to navigate the internet.
Unfortunately that's not how it works. If it's a 2G phone, it won't have voice and texting either as it simply won't be able to connect to any network. 3G and 4G also use different protocols for the voice and SMS connections too and a 2G phone won't connect to them
How may I serve you? *Curtsey*
Gregovic

Post by Gregovic »

Shannon SteelSlave wrote:So the company sent me a phone with Android operating system. If I don't activate it in 30 days, they will do it for me. I have no time to shop around for a different carrier or service. My only fear at this point is that my phone bill could increase. I never used my old phone for anything except phone calls, camera, and calculator. Are there any settings I can alter to prevent my new phone from accessing the internet?
If anyone wants to do a Lando Calrissian impression and ask if I am having trouble with my 'droid, I will be happy to do an Obi Wan impression, as I really don't recall ever owning a 'droid, and genuinely find it curious.
Usually a phone subscription has a certain amount of data traffic included each month, if that is the case for your phone subscription too then you don't have to worry too much if you use some of the data as it won't cost you anything extra. And if you DO decide you want to use some of it you can set android such that it'll automatically stop the data connection once it reaches your monthly limit, then re-enable it when the new month starts. If you want to be absolutely sure the phone won't use mobile data, you can also just switch off the mobile data connection in the settings (Go to Settings in the apps screen, select Network and Internet, then Mobile Network. In that screen set "Mobile data" to off (drag the little ball to the left. Alternatively depending on the android version you can drag down the quick settings bar from the top of the screen, and just tap the mobile data button if it's on) and it shouldn't use data.
Shannon SteelSlave

Thank you for the replies.
Kink in Space - I wish I had talked to you first, as AT and T had me convinced that my old phone was going to turn into a pumpkin or something if I didn't act in time.
Greg - So far, I have tried a few things that require an internet connect, and it comes back with an error message of "unable to connect".
This feels better than just waiting a month for a possibly huge phone bill that I never would have signed up for.
Bondage is like a foreign film without subtitles. Only through sharing and practice can we hope to understand.
👠👠
kinbaku

Post by kinbaku »

Most providers also offer an app here with which you can monitor your usage. That way you know when it's time to stop using the internet. Personally, I usually wait to watch something on the internet via 4G until I am at home and can use the Wifi that is included in the price of the internet.
Shannon SteelSlave

It's kind of driving me crazy, the notifications. I denied permission to everything, so nothing comes in. I started turning permissions back on 1 at a time, so I could get text and calls for now, until I figure everything out. I think I saw a "reset to default" button for permissions, so if I ever need google maps or GPS, I can hit that button to get myself out of trouble.
I would say it would be best to keep using my personal home computer for internet. I don't want to develop a habit of looking up trivial things and turn into one of those zombies I see looking down at their phone all the time as they walk down the street. Probably gets expensive too.
👠👠
kinbaku

Post by kinbaku »

Shannon SteelSlave wrote:I don't want to develop a habit of looking up trivial things and turn into one of those zombies I see looking down at their phone all the time as they walk down the street. Probably gets expensive too.
The proper setting. 8)
That's why I sometimes leave my phone at home, for example when I go to a restaurant. They used to be unable to reach me when I was away and only had my landline.
Shannon SteelSlave

kinbaku wrote: That's why I sometimes leave my phone at home, for example when I go to a restaurant. They used to be unable to reach me when I was away and only had my landline.
They make a special pouch you can put the phone in and make it invisible.
Now, does anyone know why I can't raise the onscreen keyboard to enter contact names?
👠👠
kinbaku

Post by kinbaku »

Shannon SteelSlave wrote:Now, does anyone know why I can't raise the onscreen keyboard to enter contact names?
On my mobile, at the top of contacts - when I open the contacts - is field with the name "search".
When I put my finger on it, the on screen keyboard appears for entering a part of the contactname.
Shannon SteelSlave

Is there a hard reset for the system? I only added 2 contacts, and might just have to more cautiously turn things off next time. Maybe find a website that will give me the settings to lessen my digital foot print.
👠👠
kinbaku

Post by kinbaku »

Shannon SteelSlave wrote:Is there a hard reset for the system? I only added 2 contacts, and might just have to more cautiously turn things off next time. Maybe find a website that will give me the settings to lessen my digital foot print.
When you put "<name of your phone> hard reset" in google search you find it.
I always turn down the location, Wifi and 4G. And only set them on when I need them. It's not completely privacy free, but it helps a bit.
And as I said, I usually leave the phone at home when I'm sure I don't need it (a short distance from home that I can cover on foot should I break down with the car).
Gregovic

Post by Gregovic »

As an aside, since you now have an Android phone you'll probably have been required to make a google account. I'd suggest also taking the time to go through the privacy settings on the phone and then also logging in to that google account on a normal computer and opting out of every single bit of data gathering that you can. Google likes to default everything to "yes, please slurp all my data and sell it to the highest bidder".

A decent walkthrough for how to do this on a normal computer is here: https://www.cnbc.com/2019/05/01/how-to- ... ation.html
A good basic check for android versions 10 and 11 is here: https://www.androidpolice.com/2021/03/2 ... y-android/