Corona

Anything that does not fit any of the other categories.
OrgasmAlley

Re: Corona

Post by OrgasmAlley »

It's definitely the case than people of all ages get and die from the COVID. Exactly as you say, the young -- especially the very young -- are exceptions. This article is about a month old, but remains the best workup of COVID by age that I've seen: https://www.acsh.org/news/2020/06/23/co ... race-14863

Most interesting tidbits...
- Of the 100K deaths in the US at this time, 13 were 4 years and younger. 26 were 14 years and younger (including the younger 13, obviously).
- In the US, those aged up to 34 were (June 23-ish) less than 1% of COVID deaths.
- Estimated infection fatality rates for all age groups <50 years old are in the form: 0.00X% (this is from a Swiss study, not US data, and concluded an overall IFR of 0.64% with those under 65 having IFR of <0.1%).

This is the king of all lit reviews on children and COVID, updated about a week ago: https://dontforgetthebubbles.com/eviden ... iterature/

After being radically misrepresented in the initial media coverage, this metastudy changed all of its language around the much lower levels of transmission from children to adults. This article links to lots of individual studies in this area, and is an extremely useful resource.
Kinbaku

Post by Kinbaku »

OrgasmAlley wrote:This article is about a month old, but remains the best workup of COVID by age that I've seen: https://www.acsh.org/news/2020/06/23/co ... race-14863
Thank you for sharing.
Shannon SteelSlave

Post by Shannon SteelSlave »

Total Confirmed Cases 16,334,573 Global Deaths 650,097
So I called my Moms like I do every week, and she asks when am I coming to visit. If the virus has kept you from seeing friends and/or family, and you're sick of it, raise your hand :hi: :hi:
Bondage is like a foreign film without subtitles. Only through sharing and practice can we hope to understand.
A Jedi uses bondage for knowledge and defense, never for attack.
I am so smart! I am so smart! S-M-R-T!....I, I mean S-M-A-R-T!
👠👠
Kinbaku

Post by Kinbaku »

Last week a niece of mine died of cancer and cremated. It was a funeral with masks and 1.5 meters away from everyone. So definitely no hug from loved ones. I myself have only been able to follow via streaming because only the direct family was admitted.
OrgasmAlley

Post by OrgasmAlley »

Shannon SteelSlave wrote:Total Confirmed Cases 16,334,573 Global Deaths 650,097
So I called my Moms like I do every week, and she asks when am I coming to visit. If the virus has kept you from seeing friends and/or family, and you're sick of it, raise your hand :hi: :hi:
My wife is certainly feeling this. Her father has been having some significant medical challenges, for which he's been forced to accept care limitations due to the 'rona restrictions. We're praying he'll pull through, of course... but would feel better being able to visit.
tiemeupalso

Post by tiemeupalso »

if people would get offtheir asses, start living their lives again,stay off facebook and not watch the news they would be happier less paranoid and things WILL turn back to normal.
as long as you are letting this virus scare rule your lives it will just keep coming.
Shannon SteelSlave

tiemeupalso wrote:if people would get offtheir asses, start living their lives again,stay off facebook and not watch the news they would be happier less paranoid and things WILL turn back to normal.
as long as you are letting this virus scare rule your lives it will just keep coming.
Glad to hear you are unaffected by the virus, T.
Bondage is like a foreign film without subtitles. Only through sharing and practice can we hope to understand.
👠👠
Shannon SteelSlave

kinbaku wrote:Last week a niece of mine died of cancer and cremated. It was a funeral with masks and 1.5 meters away from everyone. So definitely no hug from loved ones. I myself have only been able to follow via streaming because only the direct family was admitted.
OrgasmAlley wrote:My wife is certainly feeling this. Her father has been having some significant medical challenges, for which he's been forced to accept care limitations due to the 'rona restrictions. We're praying he'll pull through, of course... but would feel better being able to visit.
One thing I am afraid of is not seeing some of my family again, in good health. They all moved a state away from me, and I haven't been able to visit as much as I should. It's been almost 2 years for some of them. I can certainly see why some people are deciding that the value of just one more visit is worth the exposure. But logically, I see that the very action of me visiting could introduce them to the virus they have dodged up to now.
👠👠
Gregovic

Post by Gregovic »

If you keep yourself quarantined as much as possible for a week or 2 before a visit, then drive over by yourself while avoiding as much contact with others as possible and keep a bit of physical distance (about 4 to 5 feet is advized in the Netherlands) then I don't really think there is much risk of introducing the virus. Ofcourse cancel all plans if you do feel any symptoms, but in general it will most likely be just fine.
How may I serve you? *Curtsey*
Gregovic

Post by Gregovic »

If anyone still thinks COVID isn't bad at all and like a mild flu: this article might be interesting

"Conclusions and Relevance
In this study of a cohort of German patients recently recovered from COVID-19 infection, CMR revealed cardiac involvement in 78 patients (78%) and ongoing myocardial inflammation in 60 patients (60%), independent of preexisting conditions, severity and overall course of the acute illness, and time from the original diagnosis."

In other words, Even milder cases of COVID can have long lasting effects long after recovery from the viral infection itself.

Stay safe, keep your distance whenever possible.
Shannon SteelSlave

We shouldn't worry about accidental or unavoidable exposures. It's not an "all or nothing" deal. Minimizing these exposures through distancing, mask wearing, and hand washing is the key. Try not to let one mistake break down an otherwise good routine. If not doing it for yourself, think of all the people you come into contact with. You may be saving them by not carrying the virus right to their door.
In case you haven't heard, this virus seems to have a no long term immunity. People are getting it twice.
A vaccine is on the way. 30,000 healthy volunteers have signed up. With any luck at all, we may have something for the spring.
For 2020, just try to make the best of it. I don't think anyone on planet Earth will say that this is their year. Doing well now will set the stage for a better 2021. You're all doing great. You're still here, and healthy. And I salute you. :hi:
👠👠
OrgasmAlley

Post by OrgasmAlley »

Gregovic wrote:In other words, Even milder cases of COVID can have long lasting effects long after recovery from the viral infection itself.
The 100 patients examined here were selected from a hospitalized population, so no milder cases would be included. More than half of COVID patients experience no symptoms at all, and a very small percentage are ever hospitalized... on the order of 0.15%, or around 150 per 100,000 confirmed cases at this tims (and that doubtless missis many asymptomatic cases in the denominator). https://gis.cdc.gov/grasp/COVIDNet/COVID19_3.html

Hospitalized patients skew very heavily to the elderly, and in a study of one hospital system 92% had at least one comorbidity and 88% had at least two.
Shannon SteelSlave

Confirmed cases 18,317,520 Global Deaths 694,713
Tropical disturbances are beginning to make their appearance, at least on the east coast here, forcing new plans for evacuation and emergency sheltering.
👠👠
gaby

Post by gaby »

Why do the news stories mainly talk about confirmed cases and the number of deaths, but almost never say anything about the number of people who have recovered from the disease? :?
Gregovic

Post by Gregovic »

gaby wrote:Why do the news stories mainly talk about confirmed cases and the number of deaths, but almost never say anything about the number of people who have recovered from the disease? :?
Because those numbers are a lot less clear and sometimes not even available. The Netherlands for instance doesn't even track recovered numbers.