Corona

Anything that does not fit any of the other categories.
ruru67

Re: Corona

Post by ruru67 »

OrgasmAlley wrote:COVID kills at about 1/5th the rate of the seasonal flu for those under 19... so, for example, closing schools because thousands of children will die (a leftist position here in the states) is false
That statement is wrong at every level. Case mortality rates for COVID-19 are around 3.4% globally - that is it kills about one in thirty of the people it infects. 'Flu is a tiny fraction of that. Both are - of course - more likely to take elderly and immunocompromised people, but COVID is vastly more dangerous. (The USA - because the global numbers include countries with poor healthcare - are around a 2.7% death rate - but that's still one in 37.)

That you're seeing low COVID deaths is because of the restrictions, social distancing et c. Every year, a pretty significant proportion of the population gets some strain of 'flu; so far, even in the plague-ridden USA, the infection rate is only about 2.5% (one in 20) of the population, compared to around 15% (or more than 1 in 7, and that's a pretty loose number, because most 'flu cases go unreported, whereas the COVID numbers are all confirmed by tests.)

The other thing that skews the numbers is that for the most part people who die of 'flu don't usually present with 'flu - they're usually already seriously sick or frail, and 'flu is just what finally carries them off. While there's a lot of that with COVID too, you're seeing a pretty high proportion of deaths from people for whom the reason they presented was because of a fresh COVID infection.

For what it's worth, here in NZ, presentations for 'flu went to basically zip. We stomped on COVID and took the winter 'flu season out with it. (Colds, sadly, are here to stay.)

We clearly see that most countries that performed a heavy-handed style lockdown initially experience a very strong "second wave" -- actually their first wave -- as they attempt to regain a bit of freedom. While it's certainly a better time, given the advanced understanding of the COVID, they've paid a mighty cost for that. Locking down on a country-wide basis again is an expensive gamble.
Lockdowns get you under control when it's out of control. That countries relax and get complacent is hardly the fault of the lockdowns.

Seriously though, you blather on about "leftist" responses, but here the government & public service gamed out the economic cost of not getting on top of the infection quickly and came to the conclusion that while the result was bad from a short, sharp lockdown, living with with the restrictions required to keep the health system from collapsing would be significantly worse - and that's without even considering the human cost. We did a month of lockdown, followed by a couple more weeks of semi-lockdown, and another month of social distancing before a near-complete opening up. There were some restrictions in August due to a case cluster, but back to fully open after a few weeks.

You talk about 'freedom",while our "leftist" response leaves us actually free, both from restrictions and from the virus itself.

The trouble with lockdowns elsewhere is that in every single case they've been half-arsed - infections rates dropped so governments (even "leftist" ones) lost their nerve and relaxed restrictions. But since the infection was not actually under control, infections accelerated again. Here, restrictions were lifted only when the infection was fully contained - that is, every single case was either recovered, dead, or safely quarantined. That - and getting your control measures going early - is how you beat this thing.
OrgasmAlley

Post by OrgasmAlley »

Wrong at every level? In the US, the CDC currently reports just over 100 deaths from COVID in those under 19, while a typical flu season racks up around 500. 100/500 is 0/.200, or 1/5th.

You disagree with the WHO and a growing array of scientists about the wisdom of lockdowns. Gotcha.
Blacky

Post by Blacky »

OrgasmAlley wrote:Wrong at every level? In the US, the CDC currently reports just over 100 deaths from COVID in those under 19, while a typical flu season racks up around 500. 100/500 is 0/.200, or 1/5th.

You disagree with the WHO and a growing array of scientists about the wisdom of lockdowns. Gotcha.

Do the CDC numbers include the absolute amount of people infected with either COVID or the seasonal flu, too?
Your claim of a fifth is only, and actually really only, valid, if there are exactly the same number of people infected with either disease in the first place.
If the doors of perception were cleansed everything would appear to man as it is, infinite. (W. Blake)
Blacky

Post by Blacky »

ruru67 wrote:...
The trouble with lockdowns elsewhere is that in every single case they've been half-arsed - infections rates dropped so governments (even "leftist" ones) lost their nerve and relaxed restrictions. But since the infection was not actually under control, infections accelerated again. Here, restrictions were lifted only when the infection was fully contained - that is, every single case was either recovered, dead, or safely quarantined. That - and getting your control measures going early - is how you beat this thing.

Well, you're right, I guess. However, NZ has one MAJOR advantage over almost every other country in existence - the probably broadest moat imaginable without exceeding our planet's limits. :mrgreen:
If the doors of perception were cleansed everything would appear to man as it is, infinite. (W. Blake)
ruru67

Post by ruru67 »

Blacky wrote:, NZ has one MAJOR advantage over almost every other country in existence - the probably broadest moat imaginable without exceeding our planet's limits. :mrgreen:
We do have an awesome moat. :D

We also have a smallish population - about the size of an average US state. And our immigration policy is, "go away, plague rats!" We also have a government that actually listens to its public officials (which aren't political appointees), and getting bi-partisan support for important stuff is not only possible but something of a norm.
OrgasmAlley

Post by OrgasmAlley »

Blacky wrote:Do the CDC numbers include the absolute amount of people infected with either COVID or the seasonal flu, too?
Your claim of a fifth is only, and actually really only, valid, if there are exactly the same number of people infected with either disease in the first place.
No, of course the CDC does not, nor -- unlike a statement like "a 2.7% death rate" -- do I pretend they do. It should be clear given the many different looks at COVID that "rate" has many applications. I certainly apologize that my version was not originally clear, and am glad that it is now. Perhaps a restate would be that COVID has killed 1/5th the people under 19 attributed to seasonal flu in an average season. Frankly, there is a vast array of other data from around the world supporting in-person schooling, and I didn't go into it because I assumed anyone paying attention already knows about it.

The 2.7% alleged death rate, on the other hand, is the "case fatality rate", which really isn't very useful or informative... certainly not for COVID, where we have clearly missed a large percentage of infections and significantly over-counted deaths _due_ to the COVID by counting all _with_ the COVID.* Case fatality is often used as a proxy for the interesting value, fatality rate. The percentage of people contracting the disease that die from it.

* The most famous case known in the states is an impact death from a Florida motorcycle accident. Yep, died with COVID... was counted as a COVID death until someone found it.
OrgasmAlley

Post by OrgasmAlley »

All of those things are certainly advantages of New Zealand. I'm curious... how many travel entries from China does New Zealand see in a year? A quick looks seems to indicate total inbound entries from the world over below 500,000 annually, from all countries. The US, before the COVID, was seeing roughly 8,000 entries from China daily. Level of exchange with populations seeing community spread during the period China and the WHO conspired to hide the truth about the pandemic is obviously a key point in subsequent prevalence of infections.

I'll note that the US government listened to Fauci et.al. throughout. He was pretty consistently wrong, but has been the lead guy (not a political appointee) for decades. Bi-partisan action has certainly been a rare beast here.
ruru67

Post by ruru67 »

OrgasmAlley wrote:All of those things are certainly advantages of New Zealand. I'm curious... how many travel entries from China does New Zealand see in a year? A quick looks seems to indicate total inbound entries from the world over below 500,000 annually, from all countries. The US, before the COVID, was seeing roughly 8,000 entries from China daily. Level of exchange with populations seeing community spread during the period China and the WHO conspired to hide the truth about the pandemic is obviously a key point in subsequent prevalence of infections.
First cases here came via Italy & Iran.

But most early cases in the US didn't come from China either, because most Chinese visitors to the US don't come from Hubei, and China mostly contained the spread there. A few cases leaked out, but total unpreparedness meant it got away in other countries. In any case it doesn't matter a damn where it come from. It's what you do about it.

Bu you keep believing it was all the Chinese if that helps you sleep at night.
I'll note that the US government listened to Fauci et.al. throughout. He was pretty consistently wrong, but has been the lead guy (not a political appointee) for decades. Bi-partisan action has certainly been a rare beast here.
Not even gonna dignify that with an answer.
Shannon SteelSlave

Post by Shannon SteelSlave »

I am not sure what to believe about the virus, but if people did what was expected of them, like wearing masks and at least minimizing their exposure to others through social distancing, we would have much less argument about how to handle it; there would be less infection to handle. Sadly, some who could and should set a good example, choose not to. I feel it is a poor time to show arrogance. Everyone has a choice about their attitude toward the virus. Anything you do could prevent yourself or a loved one from eventually getting infected.
This virus is literally like karma. It goes around and comes around.
If you're reading this, keep up the good work. We here seem to be avoiding it well. :hi:
Bondage is like a foreign film without subtitles. Only through sharing and practice can we hope to understand.
A Jedi uses bondage for knowledge and defense, never for attack.
I am so smart! I am so smart! S-M-R-T!....I, I mean S-M-A-R-T!
👠👠
Shannon SteelSlave

Total Cases 44,159,482 , Global Deaths 1,169,562
It seems like the virus is going to be the single most important thing to happen this year, and that is how it will always be remembered. I hope everyone has found a way to extract some happiness from this situation, and not just consider it a wasted year.
Bondage is like a foreign film without subtitles. Only through sharing and practice can we hope to understand.
👠👠
Kinbaku

Post by Kinbaku »

Because Belgium is at the top in corona cases, stricter measures have been issued. That's why I'm going to buy some extra bondage gear tomorrow so I can keep myself busy at home. This before the stores have to close.
The sports people, the artists, the doctors and nurses, parents, grandparents, teachers, business leaders and the like, are less fortunate. They face now a tough challenge in their lives. :(
Today a new cultural center would open after an investment of millions, with a performance and exhibition. The stricter measures prevent this indefinitely. Fortunately, the director is strong and postponed the opening is not the same as canceling.
Shannon SteelSlave

I have this friend, who attended several Halloween parties. For 20 points, can anyone tell me why this is bad?
A. They have substantially increased their exposure
B. They have exposed many people
C. They have set a poor example
D. All of the above
👠👠
Sashauk

Post by Sashauk »

There is only one answer to that, Shannon - D.

It has been shown many times that social interaction with other people increases the transmission risk of any virus, let alone Covid-19.

A report here in the UK has concluded that the 'Eat Out to Help Out' scheme, which was introduced after the lifting of the first lockdown, has been a significant factor in the second wave of infections. Personally I think they should never have allowed pubs, restaurants and other social places to reopen until there is an effective vaccine. I know it would be tough on those businesses but the result of them re-opening will now be tough on us all.
Shannon SteelSlave

Sashauk wrote:There is only one answer to that, Shannon - D.
Ding ! That is correct! 20 points to Sasha. Anyone else?
👠👠
Kinbaku

Post by Kinbaku »

Shannon SteelSlave wrote:
Sashauk wrote:There is only one answer to that, Shannon - D.
Ding ! That is correct! 20 points to Sasha. Anyone else?
I also go for D, but I don't earn 20 points or else I could be accused of copying Sasha. :facepalm: