Corona

Anything that does not fit any of the other categories.
lj

Re: Corona

Post by lj »

OrgasmAlley wrote:I found this article pretty insightful: https://www.glennbeck.com/contributor/h ... s-ignoring

Ziegler typically writes for left leaning Mediaite, but they wouldn't publish this article. It is apparently forbidden to ask why certain questions are forbidden. IMO, he raises some good points... not answers, but topics.
an interesting article. Much the same questions are being asked here in the UK, why are the press not investigating, rather than just repeating the government's dictats and ever-increasingly convoluted rules. We are now seeing "shock" headlines that the virus is mutating (there's a surprise, that's why we still have influenza and the common cold) and already "maybe the vaccine won't work with the new variant"

for a UK slant on handling of the pandemic, from the non-government view, the podcast "planet normal" is worth a listen. Every Thursday two journalists feature comment and a speaker with huge experience of various aspects of the whole pandemic subject ( a different speaker each week). It's not party-political, just an alternative look at things.
be a switch, double the fun :-)
kinbaku

Post by kinbaku »

lj wrote:for a UK slant on handling of the pandemic, from the non-government view, the podcast "planet normal" is worth a listen. Every Thursday two journalists feature comment and a speaker with huge experience of various aspects of the whole pandemic subject ( a different speaker each week). It's not party-political, just an alternative look at things.
Journalism should always be like that.
You can listen to the episodes on Youtube if you are interested.
Shannon SteelSlave

Post by Shannon SteelSlave »

Listen to Tom Cruise melt down on the set of the new "Mission Impossible" over Covid : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2zJJdRELg
Bondage is like a foreign film without subtitles. Only through sharing and practice can we hope to understand.
A Jedi uses bondage for knowledge and defense, never for attack.
I am so smart! I am so smart! S-M-R-T!....I, I mean S-M-A-R-T!
👠👠
Shannon SteelSlave

Total Cases 76,928,774 , Global Deaths 1,695,307
Watch out for a new strain in England.
So, I had a visitor in my home. Both of us masked. When viewing a renovated room, the other person sneezed in their mask. The reason given was dust allergies. Without starting a mask versus no-mask debate, can anyone possibly explain this?
Bondage is like a foreign film without subtitles. Only through sharing and practice can we hope to understand.
👠👠
OrgasmAlley

Post by OrgasmAlley »

What are you asking be explained? How could one activate a dust allergy despite wearing a mask? You are still breathing the air, after all. Dust allergy is actually dust _mite_ allergy, and these mites come in volume with things like pets, bedding, carpeting, and less-than-ideal cleaning. Unlike the COVID, which is highly unlikely to be filtered by breathing through a mask, dust mites are big enough to be caught by even a cloth mask. IF the person is breathing through the mask and not around it... I often find my glasses fogging when wearing a mask, which means my exhale is going up between mask and face and not through (and therefore likely that some inhale is doing the same, unfiltered).

That said, the claim doesn't pass the smell test. A person with dust mite allergy certainly knows they will be at risk in someone else's home and seek to effectively protect themselves, especially now that masking is not only acceptable but socially beneficial. This person should also be proficient at selecting and properly wearing a mask suitable to their needs re: the allergy. People sneeze for all sorts of reasons. It is, of course, only this year that doing so in the presence of others has become akin to assault ;)
lj

Post by lj »

another explanation - if the user simply puts the mask in a pocket between use, anything could be in the pocket and transferred to the inside of the mask, and initiate the sneeze. Most masks are fibrous in nature, so a simple fibre fragment could also be the cause.

Unless every mask is surgical grade, one-time use only, taken from a sterile pack immediately before use, contamination is simple, rendering the mask highly questionable as a preventer of infection in either direction.

I fear mask-wearing is simply a ploy to make people aware of the potential risk, whilst offering minimal protection, and for the authorities to be seen to be doing something...
ruru67

Post by ruru67 »

I think it depends rather on what you're trying to protect against. Any mask will interrupt airflow, both inbound or outbound - the main benefit being to direct your own (potentially contagious, even if you don't know it yet) exhaust away from other people. Even if your mask is contaminated, it'll still do that.

Protecting yourself from other people is more problematic, but still, a mask will interrupt at least some inbound particulate matter from reaching your respiratory tract, and that can mean the difference between getting it from a passer by or not. Wash your mask as often as practicable.

Sure, N95 masks, worn one time only and discarded, washing your hands afterwards is best, but even ad-hoc face covering is vastly better than nothing.

Just because something isn't as good as something better isn't an excuse for doing nothing.
Shannon SteelSlave

I didn't say I was against masks, I keep one against me in public. Washing the mask is exactly what I told that Non-user of Bound Anna to do.
👠👠
ruru67

Post by ruru67 »

Shannon SteelSlave wrote:I didn't say I was against masks
I was replying specifically to the last line of lj's reply, and to anyone else saying, basically, "masks don't work, so I won't wear one."
Sashauk

Post by Sashauk »

From what I understand a mask is not designed to block the virus entirely. Their aim is to slow down any droplets that may come from you if you sneeze or cough, thus reducing the distance they may spread.

To block dust particles effectively (which in the main are dead skin cells) you would need to have a fully filtered face mask such as this -
mask.jpg
mask.jpg (27.91 KiB) Viewed 1517 times
ruru67

Post by ruru67 »

Sashauk wrote:To block dust particles effectively (which in the main are dead skin cells) you would need to have a fully filtered face mask such as this -
Note that dust masks are intended to filter inhaled air; they generally have unfiltered exhaust ports that don't offer much protection to others from your exhaled breath. Where the air goes when you breathe out will depend on where the exhaust ports are on the mask; they're not like surgical masks that are intended to trap moisture particles and direct the airflow back towards the wearer.
OrgasmAlley

Post by OrgasmAlley »

As I posted earlier, we have one sound study about masks. The finding was clear: no statistically significant benefit to the wearer. The study, which I surely linked previously, did not examine potential benefit to others... in fact, it's amazing that no study has examined this at all, if you believe that. Let's say no study as been published that examines that question in any way.

I think the evidence is clear that masks do not in fact provide protection to others. The vast majority of transmission occurs in an enclosed, poorly ventilated space for a meaningful (15+ minutes) duration. Not fomites, which a mask might catch on the outbound, but airborne virus, which will mostly be intercepted by a properly fitted N95 mask but nothing less. Mask or not, you still exhale 100% of your breathed volume. Many of the US states seeing the most significant surges right now have extremely high (~95%) mask compliance... where is the evidence of effectiveness in that?

It's become something of a religious article of faith that mask wearing helps somehow. But faith is all there is upon which to draw that conclusion, IMO.
Shannon SteelSlave

Total Cases 86,356,854 , Global Deaths 1,866,375
I hope this new year brings the changes we need, but first, we must stay on guard. We still have no idea when the masks will disappear, as even the few people who are vaccinated have been told they still need to wear them. We have a more infectious strand spreading out, which may make targets of those who may have had a natural immunity to the original virus. "Darkest before the dawn".
👠👠
OrgasmAlley

Post by OrgasmAlley »

It's really informative as to motivation that the official line concludes those fully vaccinated must continue to wear masks. There is literally no science at all supporting this theory, so that's not about disease transmission.

Masks were magical (after they were useless) as a means to limit fomite transmission and asymptomatic transmission. Actual studies have since told us that neither fomites nor asymptomatic cases are meaningful means of spread. So why are we masking? I presume because people feel better if they can do _something_, and because governments revel in control of populations.

Masking (in non-respirators) to prevent a disease featuring almost entirely airborne transmission via particles not filtered by surgical and lesser masks is like painting something to protect it from crushing damage.
lj

Post by lj »

OrgasmAlley wrote:It's really informative as to motivation that the official line concludes those fully vaccinated must continue to wear masks. So why are we masking? >

< I presume because people feel better if they can do _something_, and because governments revel in control of populations.
I'm not sure I agree with the last comment - I don't think most politicians "revel in control", but simply feel the need to "do something" irrespective of "the science" (as it is infuriatingly and inaccurately referred to in the UK) because to do nothing looks like incompetance, ignorance and disinterest, which will bounce back on them as "their fault" if things get worse. If they "do something" then they had tried their best and can't be blamed.