Corona

Anything that does not fit any of the other categories.
OrgasmAlley

Re: Corona

Post by OrgasmAlley »

Yet another fear-inducing COVID theory seems to be falling by the wayside.

New study published Jan 6 in Science -- https://science.sciencemag.org/content/ ... ce.abf4063 -- finds immunity following COVID recovery or vaccination "robust" and "long-lasting", effective for years in vast majority of people. T cells exhibit decline at a moderate level (half life of 94 days for CD4+, 125 for CD8+), while B cells exhibited no half life, increasing over the first 4 months and then plateauing.

Great findings, so it won't make much news...
Shannon SteelSlave

Post by Shannon SteelSlave »

Total Cases 90,475,499 , Global Deaths 1,938,349
I see that it is not easy to get an explanation for what the "New Covid", more infectious version of the virus means. Is anyone familiar. I will offer that it is entirely believed it will be controlled by the same vaccine as the classic 19.
Bondage is like a foreign film without subtitles. Only through sharing and practice can we hope to understand.
A Jedi uses bondage for knowledge and defense, never for attack.
I am so smart! I am so smart! S-M-R-T!....I, I mean S-M-A-R-T!
👠👠
ruru67

Post by ruru67 »

OrgasmAlley wrote:New study ... finds immunity following COVID recovery or vaccination "robust" and "long-lasting",
I thought that was fairly obvious. All the reports I;d seen on people getting COVID-19 twice were anecdotal and clearly not a part of a significant pattern, and as such not really figuring into anyone's response plans. And most of those reports were early on when no-one really knew much about it. Nice to see someone finally put it to bed.

Such reports were inevitable - there will be misdiagnoses (where one of the "covid" infections was actually something else), and compromised immune systems can mean that while in the general case immunity is good, on a small proportion of cases, they can indeed get it twice. But you don't base a general response to a pandemic on the the corner cases.
Shannon SteelSlave wrote:not easy to get an explanation for what the "New Covid", more infectious version of the virus means
As I understand it, it means that a given virus is more likely to enter a cell and start a new cycle of infection. It's already been noted that if you get a heavy dose of the virus (e.g. an infectious person sneezing into your face) you'll develop the disease faster and more seriously than if you contract it from a smaller dose such as hand-to-mouth contact or a more distant infected breath.

That's partly because the chances of a single virus successfully infecting a cell is relatively low; if it doesn't succeed in landing on a cell just the right way in good time, it's going to eventually disintegrate without continuing the chain of infection. There's a good chance that a "light" exposure will simply die out before taking hold. The new variety is more likely to succeed in infecting a cell, so many contacts that previously wouldn't have resulted in transmissible disease with earlier varieties of the virus will with the new one.
Shannon SteelSlave

Thanks Ruru.
So if you have been passed over before, don't think you're invincible yet, it could still get you.
Bondage is like a foreign film without subtitles. Only through sharing and practice can we hope to understand.
👠👠
OrgasmAlley

Post by OrgasmAlley »

ruru67 wrote:I thought that was fairly obvious. All the reports I;d seen on people getting COVID-19 twice were anecdotal and clearly not a part of a significant pattern, and as such not really figuring into anyone's response plans.
I follow the research, and was referring to the substantial body of hand-wringing studies promoting the potentially short-lived nature of COVID immunity between roughly June and October. Examples from a quick search:

Amsterdam University: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... finds.html
King's College: https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101 ... 20148429v1
Chongqing Medical University: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/32555424/
(with a follow-up NEJM letter from UCLA: https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/N ... tured_home#)

And so on.
bounddosster

Post by bounddosster »

Having had the virus once does not seem to offer much protection from having it again. Yesterday I spoke to a guy whose family had it twice. He had it twice the first time it was mild but the second time it put him into the hospital. The first time the family was hit it killed his father at 55 and the second time it killed his mother and put his sister in the hospital as well. I really felt for the poor guy.

Four days ago I found out my uncle had gone down with it, he is 90 and currently in hospital.

Vaccinations have started in the UK but have already run into supply problems.
That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.
OrgasmAlley

Post by OrgasmAlley »

I will take a robust peer-reviewed study over an anecdote in assessing the usefulness of acquired immunity. YMMV.
Shannon SteelSlave

I may have started this thread, but it belongs to everyone. I do like to hear peoples' actual accounts of what they see and perceive, as long as they are honest about the source. Peer reviewed studies are an important back drop to keep things in check, prevent rumours. Everyone not only has the right to speak here, but I personally, encourage it. I set up this thread to give anyone a place to vent frustrations, grief, and advice here. Thanks to all who have contributed here and please continue to do so, for your own reasons and take away.
👠👠
OrgasmAlley

Post by OrgasmAlley »

I certainly didn't intend to dissuade anyone for saying whatever they want to say in my post, nor suggest that they don't have a right to do so.
Shannon SteelSlave

Total Cases 95,773,655 , Global Deaths 2,047,697
With all the hesitancy to get a vaccine, there is some talk about offering incentives for getting the shot. Everything from free giveaways, to direct pay outs. There is a catch though, from what I have understood, that paying people to get vaccinated could lessen confidence in its safety. Thoughts?
👠👠
JIMDINI

Post by JIMDINI »

Shannon SteelSlave wrote:With all the hesitancy to get a vaccine, there is some talk about offering incentives for getting the shot. Everything from free giveaways, to direct pay outs. There is a catch though, from what I have understood, that paying people to get vaccinated could lessen confidence in its safety. Thoughts?
Not sure this is a global problem. I think this is result of the misinformation flood in US social media plus and contradictory tweets by POTUS, and the dilemma of a private health care system and a public one, like the UK. Most people over here seem to be welcoming being vaccinated. People over here generally trust the healthcare professionals assessments as being unbiased and on the whole see social media as sensationalist, rather than authoritative. The National Health Service is seen as primarily caring for patients, not trying to promote or make a profits for a private organisations.
Never confuse your ambitions with your abilities. If you can't free yourself, who will?
When your helpless, you have no choice but to wait.
OrgasmAlley

Post by OrgasmAlley »

Trust in the COVID vaccine seems most likely to closely track the general trust in vaccines in any given country. It could vary because of the unique issues with the COVID of course... I'd think that effect would be more pronounced the more substantially a country has been locked down. Gallup polling from 2018, graphically:
Attachments
MW-HL700_infogr_20190619111301_NS.png
Shannon SteelSlave

Total Cases 99,275,637 , Global Deaths 2,131,079
I remember when the case load was at 1 million. Now we are "only" 3/4 million from 100,000,00.
I am hearing news on the NPR that we may have "peaked". I am not sure where the CDC arrives at this, but I encourage you all not to let your guard down. There are variants out there that may be able to get to the people who may have previously had a natural immunity. We are all tired, physically, emotionally, and spiritually. Keeping fighting. This shall pass, but I do not feel word of a "peak" is cause to celebrate.
I salute you all. :hi:
👠👠
kinbaku

Post by kinbaku »

Shannon SteelSlave wrote:... There are variants out there that may be able to get to the people who may have previously had a natural immunity. ...
Here in Belgium we have schools infected with both the British and South African varieties. The infection passed from school to school through a sporting event attended by children from both schools. Fortunately, we are quick and the sporting events in this zone have been temporarily canceled, everyone tested and infected children put in quarantine together with their families.
Natybound

Post by Natybound »

Shannon SteelSlave wrote:Total Cases 99,275,637 , Global Deaths 2,131,079
I remember when the case load was at 1 million. Now we are "only" 3/4 million from 100,000,00.
I am hearing news on the NPR that we may have "peaked". I am not sure where the CDC arrives at this, but I encourage you all not to let your guard down. There are variants out there that may be able to get to the people who may have previously had a natural immunity. We are all tired, physically, emotionally, and spiritually. Keeping fighting. This shall pass, but I do not feel word of a "peak" is cause to celebrate.
I salute you all. :hi:
We may never achieve complete immunity against the virus but I do expect the lethality of the virus to degrade over time although it also appears that it will become more contagious faster. We shall see. As you rightly said, we must continue to remain vigilant and continue to comply with the respective recommendations.