Corona

Anything that does not fit any of the other categories.
sweh

Re: Corona

Post by sweh »

Shannon SteelSlave wrote:Those soaps also don't specify anti-fungus or anti-protist, but I need something to encapsulate and wash the "germs" off of skin. I just don't quite get how lipid-based soaps are going to do that.
Soaps aren't based on lipids.

Some viruses have a lipid boundary, which means those membranes can be attacked by the soap in the same way that fat can; the hydrophobic end of the soap molecule embeds itself into the membrane. Because that's what soap _does_. It's chemistry. And once soap has broken the membrane then the cell disintegrates, much like a popped balloon. The cells are no longer viable.

Not all viruses and not all bacteria have a lipid based membrane. For those you stronger "magic" (anti-bacterial, disinfectant, bleach...). But COVID-19 does have a lipid membrane and so one that soap can break up.
sweh

Post by sweh »

cdinbonds wrote:I'm not going to dispute any of the others on the type of soap to use, but will add that the so called antibacterial liquid soap I have works very well at removing engine and lubricating oils and grease from my hands (main reason I use it). So, even if the antibacterial properties are not effective against viruses, I'm fairly sure it will break down the fatty substances equally as well as bar soap.
Yes, but as you hint, it's _despite_ of the anti-bacterial, not because. It's the soap component that's both great at cleaning and good at killing COVID-19.

The anti-bacterial doesn't really hurt those processes, but it doesn't help.
Also, dish detergents (and most any other detergents) are made to break down fats, so in a pinch they will likely work well also.
Exactly so, yes.
bound_jenny

Post by bound_jenny »

I wash my hands with good old dish soap. Then I moisturize because soap will dry out your skin faster than you can say coronavirus.
sweh wrote:soap will weaken and break the fatty envelope that surrounds virus, causing it to degrade and "die"
That's the fun thing about the soap molecule - one end will dissolve in water, and the other in fatty substances. Once you rinse the soapy foam off your hands, the soap molecules - along with their fatty load - are washed away. Anything left will be weakened or as virologists say, "inactivated", i.e just about inert. One can't say dead because viruses are technically not alive. There more like simple biological machines with one program - make more little machines using the resources of the host organism. They would "die" much in the same manner as a hand-cranked mimeograph machine. They break.

Do the dishes. Beat the virus.

Jenny.
Helplessness is a doorway to the innermost reaches of the soul.
If my corset isn't tight, it just isn't right!
Kink is the spice of life!
Come to the Dark Side - we have cookies!
Shannon SteelSlave

Post by Shannon SteelSlave »

Does anyone else think that wearing a bandana as a mask is like riding a motorbike with a plastic party hat?
Bondage is like a foreign film without subtitles. Only through sharing and practice can we hope to understand.
A Jedi uses bondage for knowledge and defense, never for attack.
I am so smart! I am so smart! S-M-R-T!....I, I mean S-M-A-R-T!
👠👠
bound_jenny

Post by bound_jenny »

Shannon SteelSlave wrote:Does anyone else think that wearing a bandana as a mask is like riding a motorbike with a plastic party hat?
Yup.

Face masks do not prevent infection by the wearer. They stop the wearer, if infected, from blowing out a viral salvo when sneezing or coughing.

In order to get the comparative protection of a motorcycle helmet, you'd need a hazmat suit or - much more cool - a spacesuit.

Now there's a mental image - going grocery shopping in a spacesuit. :rofl:

Jenny.
Kinbaku

Post by Kinbaku »

bound_jenny wrote: ... going grocery shopping in a spacesuit. :rofl:
A space suit is the best protection. :idea: :rofl:
Unfortunately too heavy to move here on earth. :cry:
Shannon SteelSlave

kinbaku wrote:
I still want this :
Capture.JPG
Bondage is like a foreign film without subtitles. Only through sharing and practice can we hope to understand.
👠👠
sweh

Post by sweh »

Shannon SteelSlave wrote:I still want this
Just make sure you keep your oxygen supply connected when at depth, otherwise... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEY3fN4N3D8
Shannon SteelSlave

sweh wrote:
Shannon SteelSlave wrote:I still want this
Just make sure you keep your oxygen supply connected when at depth, otherwise... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEY3fN4N3D8
Gosh they're awfully upbeat about it.
👠👠
bound_jenny

Post by bound_jenny »

Shannon SteelSlave wrote:
kinbaku wrote:
I still want this :
Capture.JPG
That diving suit would also be a good choice. But the field of view is quite limited compared to a space helmet's visor.

And it's not advised to drive with that thing on - the moniker "leadfoot" would be very appropriate... :rofl:

When shopping with the diving suit, ask someone to make a video in black and white, chronicling your deep sea explorations of the fresh vegetable aisle.

:mrgreen:

Jenny.
Kinbaku

Post by Kinbaku »

bound_jenny wrote: chronicling your deep sea explorations of the fresh vegetable aisle.
Or at the fish department. :rofl:
Shannon SteelSlave

I'm going in to pick out my OWN lobster. :rofl:
👠👠
OrgasmAlley

Post by OrgasmAlley »

sweh wrote:From what I've been read (and still seems to be the pervailing story), soap will weaken and break the fatty envelope that surrounds virus, causing it to degrade and "die" and, indeed, can perform better than sanitiser because the soap also weakens the contact between virus and body allowing it to be rinsed away by water easier.
Thanks for the correction! News to me.
Shannon SteelSlave

Should I be mad about cookouts going on in my neighborhood on Sunday? What about people going from a highly infected population with heavy business restrictions to a less infected state with lighter restrictions for entertainment and fun? I hate to be an ogre, but this is the reality of it. You don't earn a break with good behaviour. Got me mad it does. Am I right?
👠👠
Kinbaku

Post by Kinbaku »

Shannon SteelSlave wrote:Am I right?
Yes, you are right. When we did not yet know that the Corona was in Belgium, there was a carnival party in the south of Limburg, with the result that this zone had the highest death toll in Belgium afterwards. :cry: