Safe sane hood to sleep in

Ideas and instructions how you can make your own bondage toys.
whomadeangus

Safe sane hood to sleep in

Post by whomadeangus »

I work nightshift and I’m looking for some kind of blindfold to enable me to rest. My wife really doesn’t want black out curtains. So I’m looking for a blindfold/ harness a hood that is safe to sleep in but will keep all light out
lj

Re: Safe sane hood to sleep in

Post by lj »

I don't know how widespread these are, but a blindfold called "MindFold" is a simple design that provides a complete black-out with recessed areas over the eyes so you don't have any pressure on the eyeball and eyelids. They aren't a "kink" device but in my experience are certainly used to remove sight for sensory play. They are not "secure", the only way I can think of to achieve this is to have a soft leather hood but that would definitely take you into the kink world - if your wife is happy with that, go for it. They don't have to be all straps and padlocks (unless you want it to be :twisted: )
be a switch, double the fun :-)
ruru67

Post by ruru67 »

There are quite a number of simple blindfolds around, easily available, sold as sleep masks which avoids the "kink tax" - extra margin charged because "it's a kink item, and you're embarrassed so you'll pay more". I rather like these: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004058158240.html, because they fit well around my big nose, don't put any pressure on the eyeballs, and tend to stay put when I move around. I often use it if I want to sleep in on a summer morning or if my partner can't sleep and is randomly lighting up the room with her phone... but you may find different sizes/shapes work better for you.

I am yet to find a simple strap blindfold that does not ride up if I actively try to move it. For that you need either a full hood or straps that go over your head and under your chin to return it to the right place when you flex your face.
kinbaku

Post by kinbaku »

I made my mask from cardboard, cotton wool and duct tape. The most important thing is that you have a soft elevation around the eyes that follows the shape of your face. Just like the link Ruru67 provided (see the 5th picture). This prevents light from entering the sides of the nostrils.
Because of the elevation around the eyes, there is no pressure on the eyeball.

But it was also a craft moment for me; if you don't like crafting, you'd better buy it.
whomadeangus

Post by whomadeangus »

I’ve been running into the problem that when I wake up my eye shield is everywhere but over my face. It was a cheapie so I think I’m going to experiment with adding some straps.

So what makes sleeping in a mask so dangerous or is more sleeping with a gag???
kinbaku

Post by kinbaku »

whomadeangus wrote:I’ve been running into the problem that when I wake up my eye shield is everywhere but over my face. It was a cheapie so I think I’m going to experiment with adding some straps.

When you buy one as Ruru67 indicated, the thickenings around your eyes prevent the mask from shifting. At least my homemade one does.
A disadvantage with my version is that if I turn more towards my pillow - want to sleep more on my stomach - then the mask disturbs the rotation. :cry:
I never went to sleep with my hood or a gag on because of the danger of suffocation.
Gregovic

Post by Gregovic »

whomadeangus wrote:I’ve been running into the problem that when I wake up my eye shield is everywhere but over my face. It was a cheapie so I think I’m going to experiment with adding some straps.

a hood or mask that is closed over the nose and mouth can either directly suffocate you through hindering breathing or if you unexpectedly get sick by preventing vomit from exiting, causing you to inhale it into your lungs and drowning you. This can happen FAST. It's an unlikely scenario, but unfortunately one that you do have to take into account. If anything you'll want to be sure you can remove the hood at a moments notice.
How may I serve you? *Curtsey*
bound_jenny

Post by bound_jenny »

Gregovic wrote:It's an unlikely scenario
Indeed.

But it only has to happen once. You don't get a second chance.

Safety is 90% thinking things through.

Jenny.
Helplessness is a doorway to the innermost reaches of the soul.
If my corset isn't tight, it just isn't right!
Kink is the spice of life!
Come to the Dark Side - we have cookies!
Blacky

Post by Blacky »

A quick search for “BDSM open mouth hood“ will provide a multitude of suppliers of just that.
Hoods, that completely cover your eyes and are unlikely to ride up or down without covering your mouth, which seems to be what you're looking for?

That said, the two major problems you'll likely run into with those hoods are
- They cover your nose, so you can ONLY breath through your mouth. Sounds like no big deal, but your mouth IS going to become VERY dry, which can be disturbing at least, thus meddling with your sleep.
- They also cover your head pretty much completely. It will therefor become quite warm, which again might meddle with your sleep.

The remaining minor issue is: you'll most likely have to pay the kink tax.

Hope this helps?
Best regards

Blacky :hi:
If the doors of perception were cleansed everything would appear to man as it is, infinite. (W. Blake)
Sergio

Post by Sergio »

It's usually easy enough to punch or cut a couple of holes for your nostrils. I've had to modify a few toys that way. If it's latex, lycra or thin leather then pinch together midway between the nostrils and punch through both sides together.
Riddle

Post by Riddle »

I bought an open-mouth spandex hood with extra padding over the eyes years ago that is nice for blinding me and not restricting breathing.
Resident timer maker. :hi:
Let’s make timers together!