New Ice Lock Design

Ideas and instructions how you can make your own bondage toys.
John-A

New Ice Lock Design

Post by John-A »

A new ice lock design I am working on (have not built or tested it yet). Current designs seem to fail too quickly as the ice melts around the moving part, or use strings which I find inelegant. This design should function much more like a timed padlock as the washer jams up against any remaining ice blocks in the cylinder. Let me know what you think. BTW - I take no responsibility for injury to body/self resulting from the use/misuse of any ideas presented here or below. Play safely!

Shannon SteelSlave

Re: New Ice Lock Design

Post by Shannon SteelSlave »

Welcome to Bound Anna, John
Bondage is like a foreign film without subtitles. Only through sharing and practice can we hope to understand.
A Jedi uses bondage for knowledge and defense, never for attack.
I am so smart! I am so smart! S-M-R-T!....I, I mean S-M-A-R-T!
👠👠
kinbaku

Post by kinbaku »

Welcome to BoundAnna, John-A.
Will try to build your design for testing it out direct if I got the time. :mrgreen:
Keyless

Post by Keyless »

Great minds think alike! There was something a bit like this suggested by Dark_Lizerd a while ago. See viewtopic.php?f=12&t=9729&hilit=Ice. I did try a crude prototype. It did work. I left an air gap in the cylinder and it did not burst or leak on freezing as was suggested it might. I only used a 15mm pipe, so it did not remain locked for long. It also went a bit rusty, so you need rust proof materials.

With this suggestion I'm not sure about the idea of a padlock design. With some setups the ice lock is out of reach, so you can't warm it with your hands. That means you need a design the will release (very reliably) with simple tension rather than needing to unhook anything.
kinbaku

Post by kinbaku »

I have the following in the freezer all the time.
IceLock.jpg
IceLock.jpg (18.87 KiB) Viewed 4962 times
It's easy to make:
the right side consists of a nut containing a screw with a ring, everything is glued and waterproof here.
The left side is a nut that can be unscrewed with a narrow opening in the middle of the nut that just fits the rope.

The left screw is loosened and the rope passed through the narrow opening;
pour water into the tube;
push the rope to the bottom of the tube with a pencil;
tighten the left screw;
put it vertically in the freezer (I use a cup for this);
let freeze.
Depending on the session, for example, a padlock, ratchet or a ziptie may be placed in the rope loop.
rmcingle

Post by rmcingle »

I like this.

A few ideas for enhancements:

1) if you made the box that contained the ice something that could be opened then you could put regular ice-cubes into it and not have to plan ahead and freeze the lock itself. That probably isn't a big deal to those who live alone, but for some having a strange device in the freezer would be hard to explain.

2) If the peak of the lock hasp had a hinge then once it pulled all they way out of the "box" any tension on it would rotate the hinge and allow what's hooked there to slip free.

3) the short end of the hasp doesn't need to be in the ice. You could reduce the amount of water involved by having the guide for the short end outside.

R.Mc.
kinbaku

Post by kinbaku »

rmcingle wrote:I like this.

A few ideas for enhancements:

1) if you made the box that contained the ice something that could be opened then you could put regular ice-cubes into it and not have to plan ahead and freeze the lock itself. That probably isn't a big deal to those who live alone, but for some having a strange device in the freezer would be hard to explain.

2) If the peak of the lock hasp had a hinge then once it pulled all they way out of the "box" any tension on it would rotate the hinge and allow what's hooked there to slip free.

3) the short end of the hasp doesn't need to be in the ice. You could reduce the amount of water involved by having the guide for the short end outside.

R.Mc.
I like it too. As well as the use of ice cubes that you can put in it (especially if you can choose the number of ice cubes you put in it). :D

4) A spring between the left side and object 4 that pushes object 3 out when the ice has melted.

5) a separate chamber for the short end so that less water escapes (or like point 3). The long end can be sealed with a rubber to limit the escaping water. Just enough so that it still glides enough, but just tight enough to hold back most of the water. (But I am not yet sure what the best method is or to limit the running water :facepalm: ).

Other ideas are always welcome. My hands are starting to itch to fabricate it. :mrgreen:
John-A

Post by John-A »

Here is what I've come up with - having two holes for the hasp was hard to size -- plus it pushed the internal washer too far off to the side. So a simple eye hook drilled into the side worked well. Still struggling with water leakage. I've needed to do two rounds of freezing to refill the void that occurs when water inevitably leaks out. But otherwise, this works really really well. Have only tested twice and it held for about an hour in a moderately warm room. This is made with 1 1/4 in pipe and the hasp only extends about half way into the lock, so there is a lot of potential to modify this basic design with larger materials.

kinbaku

Post by kinbaku »

If you seal the ring (2 in figure 1 at the top of this post or at the left of your first picture IMG-8023) well with glue or silicone and also the threads with Teflon tape that is commercially available for sealing threaded connections, you can put the tube filled with water in the freezer in a drinking glass - holding it vertical - with the ring (IMG-8023) at the bottom.
So you can freeze it in one round.
rmcingle

Post by rmcingle »

You could make a larger hole for the hasp and put a shaft seal in it to stop the leaking.

A grommet might even do the trick.

R.Mc.
more_secure

Post by more_secure »

I really like the idea of John-A's lock, it's a simple idea and should be reliable. I have also played with locks where the ice basically blocks the removal of an object, rather than an object (e.g. string) being frozen inside the ice, I find it more predictable for thaw time...

Anyway, a while back I played with a few new ice lock designs. The brief:

- Must be reusable
- Must have easily sourceable items
- Must be reliable
- Must be pick proof and inescapable
- Must have a more or less predictable release time
- Must be cheap
- The main load should not be on the ice itself

Bonus:
- Must be easily integratable with the rest of the bondage
- There must not be too much slack in the system
- Must have an element of frustration/gameplay/uncertainty

Characteristics:
- Lock must be released by hand (in other words, it will not release by itself and you need to mechanically undo it)

Here's one of the designs that I came up with, and it works quite well.
Ice lock
Ice lock

How it works:
- Small bottle (like shampoo that you get in a hotel, but filled with water)
- Any secure padlock, smaller hoop, the better
- Shackle with a hole in the metal pin (these are available in lots of places here, in Spain)
- Metal ring - this is a standard keyring from a set of keys
- String - strong cord, like what you use in the kitchen for wrapping up meat. Ideally unbreakable.

The concept

The shackle is meant to be the fixed ring and can take any heavy load. While the ice is frozen, the shackle screw cannot be unscrewed, since turning the pin is blocked by the cord and the padlock/keyring combo. It can only be freed when the cord is released from the frozen ice.

The whole thing can also be attached to the body, like in the next photo. With the waist chain, I added an extra string between the waist and the cuffs/shackle, but ideally I want to improve it so that it is tight to the body, however it creates quite a tight position, but enough to be able to free yourself when the ice lock opens.
Lock on waist chain
Lock on waist chain
Note: I had the whole thning in the freezer so I could get maximum time out of it and easy to put on quickly at the last minute, which is why the cuffs look frozen, but it's only necessary to freeze the lock part.

Also, this version doesn't allow it, but I think it could be modified for the hands to be cuffed behind the back and also to the waist, but it would still be possible to escape.

Improvements & Variations:
- Add saw dust or cotton wool to the ice in the water bottle, which makes the ice stronger (or take longer to thaw out - I read it somewhere...)
- Use a different shampoo bottle - the size varies the thaw time
- The shackle creates a fixed ring so you can be quite creative. It's also nice to pull on the device and it doesn't assist in putting weight on the icelock itself ;o)

Happy kinking!

(I made another ice lock design, which has a simpler spec - I will post when I have chance.)
== I put on a mask to reveal my true identity ==
kinbaku

Post by kinbaku »

more_secure wrote:Here's one of the designs that I came up with, and it works quite well.
I like it. :worship:
more_secure wrote:(I made another ice lock design, which has a simpler spec - I will post when I have chance.)
I look forward for it. :drool: