DIY Yoke

Ideas and instructions how you can make your own bondage toys.
Vishk

DIY Yoke

Post by Vishk »

Hi everyone I almost finished my DIY yoke, it is based on my old one that was a bit flimsy. In contrast this one is much more sturdy, the padding still needs a bit more work to get it just right and will probably be adding a second locking mechanism that is better for selfbondage.

Currently it is a simple hinged design with a locking bolt at one end, this locking method is basically for partnered bondage only since it is near impossible to reach. For seflbondage a ziptie can go through the two holes and stand-in for the bolt. To get free a set of scissors tied to a sturdy table serve their purpose.

A coat of gold paint give it a bit of glamour. :D
Attachments
2.jpg
1.jpg
Shannon SteelSlave

Re: DIY Yoke

Post by Shannon SteelSlave »

I'm not sure I want to encourage this, but, electro-magnets.
Bondage is like a foreign film without subtitles. Only through sharing and practice can we hope to understand.
A Jedi uses bondage for knowledge and defense, never for attack.
I am so smart! I am so smart! S-M-R-T!....I, I mean S-M-A-R-T!
👠👠
Blacky

Post by Blacky »

Shannon SteelSlave wrote:I'm not sure I want to encourage this, but, electro-magnets.
As long as they're battery powered I don't see any major problem with them, Shannon.
Heat distribution will be near perfect with that amount of metal helping and a drained battery is a fail safe emergency release as long as the magnets are the only locking device.
Sounds fine to me, actually. :hi:
If the doors of perception were cleansed everything would appear to man as it is, infinite. (W. Blake)
kinbaku

Post by kinbaku »

Blacky wrote:
Shannon SteelSlave wrote:I'm not sure I want to encourage this, but, electro-magnets.
As long as they're battery powered I don't see any major problem with them, Shannon.
Heat distribution will be near perfect with that amount of metal helping and a drained battery is a fail safe emergency release as long as the magnets are the only locking device.
Sounds fine to me, actually. :hi:
I think that's exactly what Shannon meant: using an electromagnet. :wink:
The option with a ziptie seems better to me than the screw that can get blocked. You must then be able to exert sufficient force on the sharp safety scissors in this uncomfortable position.
Use that for the first time with another person with you so you can test it first.
Blacky

Post by Blacky »

kinbaku wrote:...
I think that's exactly what Shannon meant: using an electromagnet. :wink:
Same here. I just wasn't sure whether Shannon didn't "want to encourage this" due to the magnet or due to the selfbondage around the neck issue. The prior is no problem, the latter not solvable unless not executed.
kinbaku wrote: The option with a ziptie seems better to me than the screw that can get blocked. You must then be able to exert sufficient force on the sharp safety scissors in this uncomfortable position.
Use that for the first time with another person with you so you can test it first.
That scissors-table thing seems WAY to dangerous to me. At least if I get the right impression of how the "lock" will look, once the cabletie is cinched down.
If I'm not mistaken, the OP will need to use a rather sturdy, sharp and pointy pair of scissors to have a chance to make them cut the cabletie at all and not just bend away.
But that means (s)he needs to get close to all the lots of blood vessels, nerves, sinews... that all are close to the surface in the palms and then exert pressure onto a partially blocked pair of scissors resting just there.
Apply a tiny bit too much pressure in the wrong direction and the blade will snap. If you're lucky, you're just stuck in the yoke. If you're unlucky, you're stuck in the yoke, severely injured, likely panicking and unable to do anything about it on your own.
I very much prefer the magnets.

Anyways, that's just my two cents. I'd rather err on the safe side.

Almost forgot to say nice work, Vishk! I need to learn how to weld... :facepalm: :mrgreen:

edit: removed a bunch of typos. Smartphone "keyboards" don't work too good with hands the size of mine, it seems...
Last edited by Blacky on 12 Aug 2022, 11:09, edited 1 time in total.
If the doors of perception were cleansed everything would appear to man as it is, infinite. (W. Blake)
kinbaku

Post by kinbaku »

The drawing below (picture with the top block invisible) shows how I saw it with the ziptie. The safety scissors come between the two blocks to cut the ziptie and it point away from your wrist.
Scissor.jpg
Scissor.jpg (27.59 KiB) Viewed 3071 times
However, there are the following considerations:
- the zip tie is too tight, so the scissors do not fit in the opening
- the scissors are not sharp enough to cut the ziptie
- in bondage you damaged your thumb making cutting impossible
- your hand is turned in too much and blocked so that the scissors cannot be inserted between the blocks
- you fall unlucky and break your neck

Therefore, the electromagnet as Shannon and Blacky propose is a slightly safer way.
I wouldn't do it myself unless I'm strapped to a sturdy chair that won't tip over and I'm under supervision.
Blacky

Post by Blacky »

kinbaku wrote:The drawing below (picture with the top block invisible) shows how I saw it with the ziptie. The safety scissors come between the two blocks to cut the ziptie and it point away from your wrist.
Scissor.jpg
However, there are the following considerations:
- the zip tie is too tight, so the scissors do not fit in the opening
- the scissors are not sharp enough to cut the ziptie
- in bondage you damaged your thumb making cutting impossible
- your hand is turned in too much and blocked so that the scissors cannot be inserted between the blocks
- you fall unlucky and break your neck

Therefore, the electromagnet as Shannon and Blacky propose is a slightly safer way.
I wouldn't do it myself unless I'm strapped to a sturdy chair that won't tip over and I'm under supervision.

We have different interpretations regarding the way, the scissors are supposed to be used. Yours is far more likely, though, kinbaku.
Anyways, there are still some huge downsides to this release in comparison to electro-magnets. Adding to your list, kinbaku:
- Zipties provide no failsafe release
- Scissors might not be sturdy enough and thus not cut the ziptie, but bend around it (happened more than once to more people than just me!)

As I said above, the risks that are inherent to this type of bondage can only be avoided by avoiding this type of bondage, I guess. :?
lj

Post by lj »

absolutely DO NOT USE SCISSORS !!!

I speak from (bloody) experience when the scissors separated at the pivot and one blade sliced into my hand,

Unless the scissors are very strong and the zip-tie very thin, the blades will also simply be forced apart by rotation as the scissors are closed, the zip-tie separating the blades by lying side-on. And scissors usually have sharp points just waiting to stab you!

"ER" safety scissors might be strong enough, but strong wire cutters are the only safe tool (not small "electronics" cutters, these can break if the material to be cut is too strong)
be a switch, double the fun :-)
Vishk

Post by Vishk »

Well thanks for all of the replies, the last version of the design used a hasp and padlock, but it made it a bit clunky and not very secure. As for the scissors I was doing something similar to what kinbaku's picture shows. That said a electromagnet does seem like a better solution, originally I was thinking of making a pin that drops in vertically to pin the two halves together, but it just was really awkward to do.

Regarding safety, whenever I am using this or any other steel bondage I never secure myself to something immovable, that way even if I get stuck I can always just grab my phone or walk outside for help. :oops: Do you think the whole around the neck problem is a serious safety risk, honestly wearing a gag with bondage seems far more dangerous and I see many a person discussing that here?

Anyways thanks for all the replies and yes I will probably update the locking system to be better.
Dark_Lizerd

Post by Dark_Lizerd »

OK, try this"
Add a metal clip that will slip over the end with the bolt.
This will need a hole through it that the bolt can slip through like a locking pin.
To get free, you just need a way to push the bolt out, like a bolt mounted on the wall,
Then pop the clip off and the yolk SHOULD open.
Not sure, yet, how you could install the clip, but you could just have the bolt on a magnet and guide that through the holes.

OK, a redesign idea...
Cut off the bolt "tabs" and rotate them 90 degrees and have them overlap.
Then, all you need to do is drop a bolt through the holes.
To get out, just push the bolt up and out of the holes.
All advice is checked, re-checked and verified to be questionable...
Don't ask, we both wont understand the answer...
http://www.mediafire.com/download/09dtr ... e_V2_2.exe Not just for nubies any more...
Blacky

Post by Blacky »

Vishk wrote:...
Do you think the whole around the neck problem is a serious safety risk, honestly wearing a gag with bondage seems far more dangerous and I see many a person discussing that here?
I honestly think that both are dangerous, yes.
BUT: I also think that pretty much any (self-)bondage practice is dangerous to some degree.
Basically it's up to each of us to decide which risks we are ready to take and which we'd rather avoid. But that is obviously affected by individual needs, desires and risk evaluation.
Personally, I do not include any around-the-neck elements in selfbondage and only very select few in partnered play. So I'd not use a yoje in SB. Then again I do use gags in SB, as long as my hands remain free.
Probably that is due to a prior accident. I fell hard while getting into mummification, broken ribs, no remainig damage but pure luck :oops:. Had I worn a yoke that day, I might not be able to tell the tale anymore.
But, again, that's just me and my very personal evaluation of yokes in SB. Yours is probably going to be different from mine and probably with good reason.

Basically, what I'm trying to say in too many words: Think about what you're doing before you do it. Then choose the risks you want to take accordingly.
The established community guidelined can certainly help, but they are NOT an excuse for not having thought about your actions in advance. AND they are guidelines, not laws. Obey them and you're likely to be on the safe side. Nobody can keep you from not obeying them, though.

tl,dr: Both unsafe, both manageable depending on scenario.
TNTBound

Post by TNTBound »

if anyone is worried about scissors breaking, then i recommend these ones.
https://www.autozone.com/cutting-drilli ... lsrc=aw.ds
these will not break. i have used two hands on the handles of these cutting through heavy plastic with no issue. best set of scissors i have seen.
For those that get it, no explanation is needed. For those that don't, no explanation is possible.
"Some men just want to watch the world burn" - i can relate to this more and more the older i get!