Humane Restraint mods - What kind of rivets are these?

Ideas and instructions how you can make your own bondage toys.
segufix

Humane Restraint mods - What kind of rivets are these?

Post by segufix »

Trying to make a couple modifications to my humane restraint cuffs.

Can anyone tell me what kind of rivets these are? Beyond semi tubular I’m having trouble getting any specifics.
2C61BDEF-51CC-4809-92F4-C0B28F2B6266.jpeg
E2B989B5-840D-46B0-92EC-77867CDBC105.jpeg
20910291-432B-4C7C-B1F9-770CBE884C93.jpeg
Shannon SteelSlave

Re: Humane Restraint mods - What kind of rivets are these?

Post by Shannon SteelSlave »

They look like leather belt rivets, but have a sort of washer to increase surface contact, giving them more strength. Maybe use a rivet long enough to go through the belt, buckle, and a rivet of proper size. It looks like they use a special gun to crimp. Would screw together type work? Use some loctite thread locking compound during assembly?
Bondage is like a foreign film without subtitles. Only through sharing and practice can we hope to understand.
A Jedi uses bondage for knowledge and defense, never for attack.
I am so smart! I am so smart! S-M-R-T!....I, I mean S-M-A-R-T!
👠👠
Gregovic

Post by Gregovic »

segufix wrote:Trying to make a couple modifications to my humane restraint cuffs.

Can anyone tell me what kind of rivets these are? Beyond semi tubular I’m having trouble getting any specifics.
They are some type of single cap quick rivet, but beyond that I'm afraid I can't help you. I've never seen this particular system of quick rivet before. It looks like it's a 3 part system: a cap, a washer, an insert that is rammed into the inside of the cap stem from the opposite side to mushroom the stem over the washer and hold things in place.
How may I serve you? *Curtsey*
kinbaku

Post by kinbaku »

It looks like this system to me: https://nl.aliexpress.com/item/10050033 ... 39a2cf7-10

secured with the metal form of (second figure, bottom right, used inverted): https://nl.aliexpress.com/item/10050023 ... 4841_4&s=p
So like:
RivetsPuncher.jpg
RivetsPuncher.jpg (2.68 KiB) Viewed 2816 times
But with a smooth head as used on these snaps: https://www.lukeandjack.co.uk/colt-8-sn ... ther-55375
OrgasmAlley

Post by OrgasmAlley »

These rivets are known by several names.... hollow-end, semi-tubular, half-hollow, and brake lining rivets.

They have a truss head, the first part of the shaft is solid, and the second is hollow. A matched washer is applied over the free end of the rivet to capture the material being secured. The hollow portion is then rolled outward with a peening tool. Examples:

https://www.rivetsonline.com/rivets/semi-tubular-rivets

Sizing is quite important, as you'll only be able to roll the tip so far before it cracks or misshapes. On the Humane Restraints items, these are almost certainly stainless. Practice your peening a lot as stainless is unforgiving.
Gregovic

Post by Gregovic »

Thanks OA, learned something new today. Let's hope OP can use the knowledge too.
Shannon SteelSlave

Yes, thank you, OA for offering your experience based advice here. Size is very key and definitely use stainless steel, due to perspiration and frequent cleaning of the restraint.
The screw on style might be easier and cheaper to work with though, no need for special tools, precise sizing, or the perfect touch.
Bondage is like a foreign film without subtitles. Only through sharing and practice can we hope to understand.
👠👠
segufix

Post by segufix »

Good info. Definitely need to practice and I don’t have a machine. In regards to the washers….I’ve also heard them called burrs. Is there any functional difference?

And in regards to washers/burrs, I’ve only seen them mentioned to be used with regular copper rivets (not semi-tubular)

Even though this is technically leatherwork, it’s a little different than fixing a broken grommet on a belt. Those HR belts are as sturdy and secure as they come and I’m hoping to get the same level of sturdiness as they come from the company

(Part of me wants to call HR and ask but I don’t think they would tell me since that’s kind of a “trade secret”) lol
Gregovic

Post by Gregovic »

segufix wrote:Good info. Definitely need to practice and I don’t have a machine. In regards to the washers….I’ve also heard them called burrs. Is there any functional difference?

And in regards to washers/burrs, I’ve only seen them mentioned to be used with regular copper rivets (not semi-tubular)

Even though this is technically leatherwork, it’s a little different than fixing a broken grommet on a belt. Those HR belts are as sturdy and secure as they come and I’m hoping to get the same level of sturdiness as they come from the company

(Part of me wants to call HR and ask but I don’t think they would tell me since that’s kind of a “trade secret”) lol
Technically at least in (wooden) boat building for riveting the correct term for a flat round piece of metal with a hole in it used under the riveted head is a burr. There is also a cone shaped washer that acts a bit like a belleville washer/spring to create extra tension in the rivet, which is referred to as a rove. Washers are strictly speaking what you put under a screwed bolt/screw connection where something rotates relative to something else while applying the force but in the end it's basically just the exact same thing.
kinbaku

Post by kinbaku »

Thank you OrgasmAlley and Gregovic for the information.
Shannon SteelSlave

Capture.JPG
👠👠
OrgasmAlley

Post by OrgasmAlley »

segufix wrote:Definitely need to practice and I don’t have a machine.
While these rivets can be machine set, what you'll want is a clincher.... which you can definitely find as a tool (https://www.mcmaster.com/rivet-clincher ... ow-rivets/) and may also find as an anvil (although I cannot find one readily that isn't a setting machine anvil).

Burr and washer are used interchangeably in this context, although burr is certainly historically accurate. I have always found it more convenient to use the term washer because everyone knows what that is.
I’ve only seen them mentioned to be used with regular copper rivets (not semi-tubular)
You will definitely need them here, although you should be able to reuse the originals if you drill out the core with a bit of caution. You can use all manner of flattened or rolled rivets with rigid materials without a washer, but a flexible material like leather will require one to be secure.