Low-cost DIY caning/spanking machine

Ideas and instructions how you can make your own bondage toys.
Onwrikbaar

Low-cost DIY caning/spanking machine

Post by Onwrikbaar »

Hello! I've been tinkering again :roll:

Do you like some pain to go with your selfbondage - to really drive home that delicious feeling of helplessness?
If so, how about constructing a hands-free caning machine?
All it takes is the motor from an old cordless drill, a cheap H-bridge and a simple microcontroller (like an Arduino).

See it in full swing on YouTube.
Highly professional controller setup for Pecan, the Personal Caner.
Highly professional controller setup for Pecan, the Personal Caner.
kinbaku

Re: Low-cost DIY caning/spanking machine

Post by kinbaku »

Wow! :shock: ... AAUW! :mrgreen: ... AAUW! :mrgreen: ... AAUW! :mrgreen:
bound_jenny

Post by bound_jenny »

If anyone asks, you're trying to invent an automated pillow fluffer... :idea:

Then ask if they want you to fluff their pillows... :rofl:

Jenny.
Helplessness is a doorway to the innermost reaches of the soul.
If my corset isn't tight, it just isn't right!
Kink is the spice of life!
Come to the Dark Side - we have cookies!
BoundInKasugai

Post by BoundInKasugai »

Onwrikbaar wrote:Hello! I've been tinkering again :roll:
Nice work! But that much wiring and troubleshooting would be too much torture for the likes of me =D
bound_jenny wrote:Then ask if they want you to fluff their pillows... :rofl:
:rofl:
Onwrikbaar

Post by Onwrikbaar »

bound_jenny wrote:If anyone asks, you're trying to invent an automated pillow fluffer... :idea:

Then ask if they want you to fluff their pillows... :rofl:
Haha, well... by now so many people are aware of my kinks, that I don't have to bother with plausible deniability anymore :wink:
Last edited by Onwrikbaar on 04 Oct 2021, 10:21, edited 1 time in total.
Onwrikbaar

Post by Onwrikbaar »

BoundInKasugai wrote: Nice work! But that much wiring and troubleshooting would be too much torture for the likes of me =D
Thank you :D
The wiring would probably be easy enough to replicate if I make a little diagram for it. But yeah, writing the control program takes work.
schulz

Post by schulz »

Do you like some pain to go with your selfbondage - to really drive home that delicious feeling of helplessness?
All it takes is the motor from an old cordless drill, a cheap H-bridge and a simple microcontroller (like an Arduino).

See it in full swing on YouTube.
IMG_2477.jpeg
WOW that looks really awsome, i also have some online controllable toys and would love to add a canning machine to it, could you perhaps give me a little diagram and perhaps your code, I work with an ESP32
Shannon SteelSlave

Post by Shannon SteelSlave »

Good to meet you schulz. Send me a private message, got something for you.
Bondage is like a foreign film without subtitles. Only through sharing and practice can we hope to understand.
A Jedi uses bondage for knowledge and defense, never for attack.
I am so smart! I am so smart! S-M-R-T!....I, I mean S-M-A-R-T!
👠👠
Riddle

Post by Riddle »

Thank you Onwrikbaar for sharing. I like the clean mounting method.
Resident timer maker. :hi:
Let’s make timers together!
Onwrikbaar

Post by Onwrikbaar »

schulz wrote: WOW that looks really awsome, i also have some online controllable toys and would love to add a canning machine to it, could you perhaps give me a little diagram and perhaps your code, I work with an ESP32
Glad you like it :)

Refer to attached image of the H-bridge.
Screenshot 2021-10-06 at 13.40.49.png
The 8 terminals on the left are wired as follows:
  • GND - connect to GND of the microcontroller.
  • VCC - connect to a +5V output of the microcontroller. When using a separate 5V supply, also connect its GND to the H-bridge's GND pin.
  • R_IS, L_IS - connect together, connect a 2kΩ (value not critical) resistor to GND, then connect to an AD converter input of the microcontroller. The voltage measured will be proportional with the instantaneous motor current. This allows your program to detect when the motor stalls on impact and when the cane runs into the backstop.
  • R_EN, L_EN - connect together, then to a digital output pin of the microcontroller. Program that pin HIGH to enable the bridge.
  • R_PWM - connect to a PWM output pin of the microcontroller. A PWM signal on this pin will make the motor run in one direction.
  • L_PWM - connect to a PWM output pin of the microcontroller. A PWM signal on this pin will make the motor run in the opposite direction.
My code would not do you much good. It is based on a hierarchical state machine framework that I'm not at liberty to share, and was written for an STM32G491 microcontroller, which differs significantly from an ESP32. I intend to make my code shareable and more portable, but that's going to take a while - sorry.

Please let me know if any of this is unclear.
OrgasmAlley

Post by OrgasmAlley »

Another approach that is well-suited to an ESP-based controller (or Arduino) is a stepper driver and motor, using the Accelstepper library to implement accelerations. This is a very reasonable thing to code. A simple but capable driver like the TB6600 (<$15) paired with a moderate NEMA23 motor (<$30) will perform about the same... although you'll want to rubber mount the motor unless you like the stepping sound ;)
Onwrikbaar

Post by Onwrikbaar »

OrgasmAlley wrote:Another approach that is well-suited to an ESP-based controller (or Arduino) is a stepper driver and motor, using the Accelstepper library to implement accelerations. This is a very reasonable thing to code. A simple but capable driver like the TB6600 (<$15) paired with a moderate NEMA23 motor (<$30) will perform about the same...
Using a stepper motor instead of a brushed DC motor is a viable idea, but I doubt a NEMA23 type will make much of an impact. Most NEMA23 motors are rated at about 10W, which is less than one tenth of the power of the cordless drill motor I use. Unfortunately, 100W stepper motors are somewhat pricey - for comparison, I paid €5 for the second hand drill that I took the motor from, and €4 for the H-bridge.
although you'll want to rubber mount the motor unless you like the stepping sound ;)
I think the motor sound adds to the experience :D
Gregovic

Post by Gregovic »

OrgasmAlley wrote:Another approach that is well-suited to an ESP-based controller (or Arduino) is a stepper driver and motor, using the Accelstepper library to implement accelerations. This is a very reasonable thing to code. A simple but capable driver like the TB6600 (<$15) paired with a moderate NEMA23 motor (<$30) will perform about the same... although you'll want to rubber mount the motor unless you like the stepping sound ;)
Of your stepper is making sound you need a better controller/driver :wink: . The singing traditionally associated with steppers is usually more attributable to controller frequency than mechanical properties of the motor. (See also the developments in 3d printers, where the old ones proudly sing you the song of their people and the new ones are whisper quiet.
How may I serve you? *Curtsey*
occorics

Post by occorics »

Gregovic wrote:
OrgasmAlley wrote:Another approach that is well-suited to an ESP-based controller (or Arduino) is a stepper driver and motor, using the Accelstepper library to implement accelerations. This is a very reasonable thing to code. A simple but capable driver like the TB6600 (<$15) paired with a moderate NEMA23 motor (<$30) will perform about the same... although you'll want to rubber mount the motor unless you like the stepping sound ;)
Of your stepper is making sound you need a better controller/driver :wink: . The singing traditionally associated with steppers is usually more attributable to controller frequency than mechanical properties of the motor. (See also the developments in 3d printers, where the old ones proudly sing you the song of their people and the new ones are whisper quiet.
I used a TB6600 with a NEMA23 on the first version of my spanking-machine. It was noisy, slow and didn't reach full torque. With the DM542S, it runs a lot smoother and has more torque. Prices of both drivers and the wiring are similar...
maid marta, Collared property of Domina Shelle Rivers and Lady Helena

https://twitter.com/ShellesPuppy
my blog: https://owned-by-princess-shelle.blogspot.com
my art: https://maid-marta.bdsmlr.com
OrgasmAlley

Post by OrgasmAlley »

Yes, as noted a cheap stepper driver, the TB6600. There are many options up the scale, including the DM542S at about twice the price. However, using a rubber damper mount is quite effective at noise reduction.

For about that 25USD one can come up with a common 425 oz-in stepper (max 4.2A/phase, 24-48V input), as an example. The stepper delivers its peak torque shortly after starting, and maintains a high level of torque through around 500 RPM, while the (presumably brushed) drill motor starts at its peak and falls off directly with speed. Because of the different torque curve shape, the stepper delivers its peak output power much earlier in the RPM range (~500 RPM) than the brushed motor (~15,000 RPM). With your drilling reduction drive, top RPM is probably about 1,800, putting peak output at about 900 RPM. This is only one of the ways a direct watts-to-watts comparison doesn't tell the story. The stepper will use more of its potential output in this operation. I will still maintain that my setup can get similar output.

As I said, the stepper approach has advantages. You get to skip the drill acquisition, disassembly, and mounting in favor of a motor that bolts up. AccelStepper is a solid library as long as you don't need top speed, is easy to code with many examples, and gives detailed control over acceleration... very useful to tune this sort of device to different implement weights, throw angles, and desired impact. I didn't make claims beyond that, about being better/worse/(and certainly not) cheaper, nor do I. It's just an alternative approach.