Leather processing set

Ideas and instructions how you can make your own bondage toys.
kinbaku

Leather processing set

Post by kinbaku »

Possibly something for those who want to make their own leather bondage material: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001053554230.html
I don't know if it is good quality (probably not), but to try if it is something for you it can serve as a starter set.
Gregovic

Re: Leather processing set

Post by Gregovic »

When it comes to basic hand tools I'd start just buying a good quality. While I don't currently have any experience with leather work I have looked at purchasing tools for it. The simple tools like awls, an edge beveller, some needles and thread, etc really don't cost that much more when bought from a more reputable supplier, but the quality I would expect from those tools would save a lot of frustration and problems. It's annoying to learn new things if the tools you use place limitations on what you can do (even more so if you are not aware of those limitations because you are a beginner). For the few dollars this saves for the basic toolkit, personally I'd look at buying the tools from a better quality supplier.
How may I serve you? *Curtsey*
kinbaku

Post by kinbaku »

Gregovic wrote:When it comes to basic hand tools I'd start just buying a good quality.
As usual, I have to agree with you. Today I was offered them at aliexpress and immediately thought of the possibilities.
But it is better to buy good quality than fiddle and swear because you cannot work with poorer quality material. :wink:
OrgasmAlley

Post by OrgasmAlley »

I agree with the above comments about quality. I'm a leatherworker of some three decades, once made leather bondage gear commercially, and for quite a while had some renown for my DIY BDSM leatherworking (Sartan's Working With Leather, and BDSM Workshop) site and CDROM. In the US, Tandy Leather Factory (a merger of Tandy Leather and The Leather Factory) remains pretty available as physical stores and are of course on the net, and will have tools of much higher quality. You need a small fraction of the tool pile here:

- Cutting tools: strap cutter, roller cutter, self-healing mat, straightedge and square; get extra blades for everything
- Punching tools: plastic or rawhide headed mallet, hole punch set (never use the "pliers" style), slot hole punches if you want to use locking buckles
- Finishing tools: beveler, creaser, slicker/burnisher
- Attaching tools: mini anvil and rivet setter
- Stuff: rivets, gum tragacanth, edge finish, maybe a little dye, daubers

If you get into snaps, grommets, and so forth, you'll end up wanting tools specific to the application of each size. Hand sewing heavier leathers requires multi-prong punches.

If anyone is interested in getting into leatherworking, send me an email at saroftreve@aol.com and I'll see if I can find a soft copy of my CDROM content to send you. It's an excellent beginner's guide, however low-budget ;) Plans for a pretty wide range of leather bondage gear in different styles.
Shannon SteelSlave

Post by Shannon SteelSlave »

Things are getting kinky here again.....
Bondage is like a foreign film without subtitles. Only through sharing and practice can we hope to understand.
A Jedi uses bondage for knowledge and defense, never for attack.
I am so smart! I am so smart! S-M-R-T!....I, I mean S-M-A-R-T!
👠👠
Gregovic

Post by Gregovic »

OrgasmAlley wrote:I agree with the above comments about quality. I'm a leatherworker of some three decades, once made leather bondage gear commercially, and for quite a while had some renown for my DIY BDSM leatherworking (Sartan's Working With Leather, and BDSM Workshop) site and CDROM. In the US, Tandy Leather Factory (a merger of Tandy Leather and The Leather Factory) remains pretty available as physical stores and are of course on the net, and will have tools of much higher quality. You need a small fraction of the tool pile here:

- Cutting tools: strap cutter, roller cutter, self-healing mat, straightedge and square; get extra blades for everything
- Punching tools: plastic or rawhide headed mallet, hole punch set (never use the "pliers" style), slot hole punches if you want to use locking buckles
- Finishing tools: beveler, creaser, slicker/burnisher
- Attaching tools: mini anvil and rivet setter
- Stuff: rivets, gum tragacanth, edge finish, maybe a little dye, daubers

If you get into snaps, grommets, and so forth, you'll end up wanting tools specific to the application of each size. Hand sewing heavier leathers requires multi-prong punches.

If anyone is interested in getting into leatherworking, send me an email at saroftreve@aol.com and I'll see if I can find a soft copy of my CDROM content to send you. It's an excellent beginner's guide, however low-budget ;) Plans for a pretty wide range of leather bondage gear in different styles.
Thanks for the offer, you have at least one email :D
Shannon SteelSlave

Post by Shannon SteelSlave »

Working now, maybe at lunch for that email
Bondage is like a foreign film without subtitles. Only through sharing and practice can we hope to understand.
A Jedi uses bondage for knowledge and defense, never for attack.
I am so smart! I am so smart! S-M-R-T!....I, I mean S-M-A-R-T!
👠👠
OrgasmAlley

Post by OrgasmAlley »

So... false start on that one! Somewhere along the way, I have lost the soft copy of the CDROM that I burned discs from. When time allows, I'll figure out where my old software discs are and see if I have a hard copy among them.

In the meantime, what I do have and can share is the old Working With Leather website. This is a broader set of projects than the CDROM, but unfortunately lacks the detailed beginner "how to" materials and the excellent PDF templates for the included projects. I tried emailing this 2.5m zip file to someone and Gmail rejected it as potentially harmful, so here it is hosted on Dropbox as a self-serve:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/t1hwcflln45ew ... r.zip?dl=0

Download, unzip into a directory, confirm that this process has maintained one subdirectory "braiding". Open index.htm in a web browser.

Please note that this is circa 1998 or so as the most recent rebuild of the site, hand written in Notepad. I was a systems consulting director, not a website developer ;) And it was free for all, done as a hobby and labor of love... so don't expect great speeling and editing! I assume all of the external links will be broken. Around 2000 I also started WWL Hardware, a kinky hardware specialty shop that included a number of custom pieces. I sold that to a company called Ohio Travel Bag, and I think -- although they've closed that site since -- they remain a good place for the unique things like locking posts and buckles.
Gregovic

Post by Gregovic »

Thanks OrgasmAlley, looks very interesting. I'll be having a much closer look later
kinbaku

Post by kinbaku »

Thanks OrgasmAlley.
There are also a number of interesting beginners lessons on the internet. I cannot judge them myself, so I give a few:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLPkVvI9yFg
https://www.instructables.com/Introduct ... erworking/
https://www.goldbarkleather.com/beginners-guide
OrgasmAlley

Post by OrgasmAlley »

By the way, those looking for other resources might look up the Better Built Bondage Book, which I assume is still available... the author basically knocked off my DIY sites (WWL and BDSM Workshop) into book form. Or at least there are _remarkable_ similarities between the projects he "created" and those I had online for years ;)