Magnetic Release for Safety

Ideas and instructions how you can make your own bondage toys.
SquareNot

Magnetic Release for Safety

Post by SquareNot »

I use a timed-release device for bondage. Usually this is associated with self-bondage. However, it is also used as a safety feature when playing with a partner. A person in strict bondage is in real trouble if their partner became incapacitated for any reason. My release device uses an inexpensive electromagnet, 12-volt power supply, a mechanical timer and miscellaneous hardware. Total cost should be under $50 (US dollars), unless you need to buy some tools.

This document and all photos can be downloaded from the following Dropbox link:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/so4pkwh6dvaj ... uiXya?dl=0

Photos will be included in a my next post because this post with added photos exceed memory limits.

Picture 1 shows the installed system with the magnet energized. The chain is connected to a suspension cuff and hooked to a 16d, 3-1/2 inch nail. To get released, you have to yank backwards to get the chain off the nail. I cut off the nail head to make it easier to remove the chain. The magnet and bracket prevent you from yanking the chain back. To make sure you cannot overpower the holding force of the magnet (130 pounds), there are two blocks of wood (labeled A and B) that form a lip and just touches the top of the bracket. I cannot get the chain off the nail with the magnet energized, and I doubt anyone except the strongest could do so.

Picture 2 is a closeup of the magnet, plate and bracket. Two holes were on top of the plate from the magnet I bought, and are on many similar, if not identical magnets on Amazon. I enlarged these holes with a 5/32 drill. The plate was made of very hard material requiring a good drill bit. I then put screw threads in the holes with the appropriately sized tap. I used number 10 machine screws which are the closest match to the existing plate holes. Drilling and tapping may be the hardest step for those without tools or experience. YouTube should have videos on the subject.

The bracket I used was about 6 inches long. It might have started out as an angle bracket that I straightened out. I drilled two holes in the bracket to match the plate holes. One more bracket hole is needed for the safety wire shown in Picture 1. There are other bracket holes shown in Picture 2, but they are not needed (it was some scrap metal I had laying around). The larger wood block dimensions are 3-3/4 long, 2 wide, and 1-7/16 high. The 1-7/16 dimension must match the height of the bracket when on the magnet. The smaller wood block is 3-3/4 long, 1-1/4 wide, and 1/2 tall.

Picture 3 is the plate top and shows the two holes that need to be enlarged and threaded for the number 10 machine screw.

Picture 4 shows the plate bottom. The plate bottom faces the magnet. It is very important to assemble the bracket and plate such that the spring release button is furthest from the wood blocks (A & B in picture 1). In picture 1, the button is to the right. If the release button were place to the left, the lip formed by the wood blocks would prevent the button from pushing the plate and bracket up and away from the magnet. This would be bad.

Picture 5 shows a tool used to get the chain over the nail. It is a wood dowel with a hole drilled in one end. I placed a S-hook into the dowel hole and bent it a little as shown. I also taped the hook so it would not move around. I must use this tool for self-bondage.

Picture 6 shows the timer I used. It is a one-hour timer typically used for a bathroom fan. The 12 VDC power supply shown is more powerful than required by the magnet. The magnet is rated at 0.15 amp. There are many plug-in 12 VDC, 2 amp supplies on Amazon that would be fine.

Picture 7 is a drawing of my invention.

Now how it all works. First thing is to turn on or plug in the 12 VDC power supply. Then I set the timer which energizes the magnet. Now I can place the plate and bracket on the magnet. I have two suspension cuffs I use for standing spread eagle bondage. I first attach the left wrist cuff to a ceiling hook. I do not have my wrist in the left cuff at this point. I put on ankle cuffs and attach them to the floor. I have threaded inserts in the floor so I can screw in eyebolts to attach the ankle cuffs. I now put on the right wrist cuff which has the chain that I will place on the nail with my wood dowel tool. But first I have to attach my left wrist to the hanging left cuff. Now I have both feet and left wrist secured and have my right wrist in the right cuff. I hold the wood dowel in my right hand and use my left hand to put the chain on the S-hook. Using the wood dowel in my right hand I can place the chain on the nail. Drop the dowel and I am not going anywhere until the timer turns off the power.

This system still has a single point of failure. If the timer fails, well you are dead. You can plug the 12 Volt supply into another timer so you would have two timers in series. Then two timers would have to fail before you die. Maybe put the second timer into a third timer. If three timers fail, well maybe it is your time to die.

Kind of morbid, but if you want to play with self-bondage, you should know the risks.

My system does require some work and tools that some might not have. But I just wanted to share it.

Parts List:

12-Volt DC, 2-amp power supply, $10, Amazon
Wire and wire nuts. Two conductor 20 Gauge wire is fine.
TORK 60-Minute Mechanical Timer, Lowes $17
AGPtek 60kg 130LBs Holding Force Electric Magnet Lock, Amazon, $21
#10 Machine Screws and washers
Tap for thread size of #10 Screws
5/32 Drill Bit
1-1/2 inch #8 Wood Screws
3-inch #8 Wood (or drywall) Screws
16d 3-1/2 Nail
6 by 3/4 straight Bracket
Wood blocks
Shannon SteelSlave

Re: Magnetic Release for Safety

Post by Shannon SteelSlave »

Welcome to Bound Anna, Square Not. Send me a Private Message, we should talk. Don't worry, it's good news.
Bondage is like a foreign film without subtitles. Only through sharing and practice can we hope to understand.
A Jedi uses bondage for knowledge and defense, never for attack.
I am so smart! I am so smart! S-M-R-T!....I, I mean S-M-A-R-T!
👠👠
lj

Post by lj »

There is a simple way to remove the timer issue. Use a battery for the power supply - all batteries run flat eventually, and with a known load, the time taken to drain the battery can easily be established. Just size the (rechargeable) battery to suit the maximum bondage period. Of course it won't release you midway through the session, but then neither would the timer.
be a switch, double the fun :-)
rmcingle

Post by rmcingle »

I also use an electro-magnet, very similar to yours, as my timed release mechanism.

Like you, I also used the spring wound timer.

CAUTION! I have had the spring wound mechanism fail! One time I was waiting, not very patiently but unable to do anything, listening to the TICK-TICK of the timer winding down. Then the ticks stopped. Normally that means release, but this time not. I could see the light on the power supply, it was still on.

Fortunately, I was in a position where I was able to work my body such that I managed to snag the extension cord to the power supply and I was able to yank it out of the wall socket.

After that, I started using two timers. A new spring wound, and then a standard lamp timer.

R. Mc.