The Timeout Frame (With question for locking idea)

Ideas and instructions how you can make your own bondage toys.
cldmm

Re: The Timeout Frame (With question for locking idea)

Post by cldmm »

Keyless wrote:You have not said anything about what is going to release you.
Correct, i wasn't ready for that step yet. I have zero experience with electro magnets and limited knowledge about electronics. So that's something i want to look into in soon. I be prepared for a wave of questions :rofl: .
Keyless wrote:Do you have a plan for an emergency release? With a scenario as immobilizing as this, I suggest you really should have one.
Great point. I'm learning a lot in a short amount of time. I didn't think about that. If i can go the route with the magnets, it could be powered 2 ways, mainline power or battery. If the choice is mainline power, i think the route will be;
Main Power -> RF Remotecontrol power switch -> Digital power timer -> converter (?) -> electromagnets.
Maybe i can make a way of getting the remote control towards my hand after a certain amount of time, if the digital power timer did'nt work. That means the hand tubes will be impossible, but safety first i guess.

Keyless wrote:Remember the magnet (and the relay if you use one) have inductance. You may need flywheel (or catch) diodes.
Can you explain this further? I really understand this? :oops:

-Cld
Gregovic

Post by Gregovic »

cldmm wrote:
Keyless wrote:You have not said anything about what is going to release you.
Correct, i wasn't ready for that step yet. I have zero experience with electro magnets and limited knowledge about electronics. So that's something i want to look into in soon. I be prepared for a wave of questions :rofl: .
Keyless wrote:Do you have a plan for an emergency release? With a scenario as immobilizing as this, I suggest you really should have one.
Great point. I'm learning a lot in a short amount of time. I didn't think about that. If i can go the route with the magnets, it could be powered 2 ways, mainline power or battery. If the choice is mainline power, i think the route will be;
Main Power -> RF Remotecontrol power switch -> Digital power timer -> converter (?) -> electromagnets.
Maybe i can make a way of getting the remote control towards my hand after a certain amount of time, if the digital power timer did'nt work. That means the hand tubes will be impossible, but safety first i guess.

Keyless wrote:Remember the magnet (and the relay if you use one) have inductance. You may need flywheel (or catch) diodes.
Can you explain this further? I really understand this? :oops:

-Cld
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flyback_diode :wink:
How may I serve you? *Curtsey*
ZipMeUp

Post by ZipMeUp »

It could be powered 2 ways, mainline power or battery.
Powering selfbondage equipment, especially something this secure, with mains power isn't the safest route to take. I've read a few stories about timed releases failing (forgetting to set the timer?) and the occupant getting quite stuck. I definitely wouldn't want that to happen to me.

If you are using a direct magnet release there is a surefire way to not get stuck permanently: Use a battery. Any rechargeable battery pack with the right voltage and amp-hours would work. For example, if you had two 12 volt solenoids drawing 100 milliamps each and wanted to ensure you would be bound for no more than 10 hours at a time, a 2 amp hour battery would be what you would want (100ma x 2 magnets x 10 hours).

For the timer, they have Intermatic brand timers which are quite well made and go up to 6 hours for around $20. I've never used them (I use Arduino based setup) but they run without power so the voltage they switch doesn't matter. Even if they fail or get stuck, however unlikely, you'll be free when the battery dies no matter what. You'll never have that kind of certainty if you use mains.
It it ain't inescapable... It ain't my kind of bondage.
Riddle

Post by Riddle »

What is the plan for an emergency release?

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=49
Resident timer maker. :hi:
Let’s make timers together!
Keyless

Post by Keyless »

I suggest that what you are proposing is a serious scenario. I doubt that many people on this forum have been bound that securely for any length of time. It is possible that things could go wrong. The obvious such as fire sudden illness etc. Also, is there a possibility of medical problems associated with the bondage itself, such as cramp or pins and needles? You might panic or perhaps be sick and find it difficult to clear the vomit from your mouth. I suggest you need an immediate emergency release. You want something which is highly reliable and doesn’t require some complicated setup. If it does it might not work or you might decide not to bother with it “just this once”. Maybe a principle like this would work. viewtopic.php?f=12&t=11561 . Riddle referred you to a useful thread. My post on that thread is at: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=49&p=70769#p70769 Note Sandman’s post (next but one) as well. Regarding the SD card idea, note that they really are quite strong, so you need to be able to apply quite a force. In your case perhaps you could write the combination in dry wipe pen on a piece of plastic which is connected by a string to a cuff on your wrist (which is not otherwise restrained), so that you can pull it easily and free your hand, but that pulls the plastic between two pieces of foam, erasing the combination. If you use a nice long combination, keep it covered and you can probably use it several times before you can remember it. Even with that I think I would be tempted to use two or three timers in series.If you are thinking of the flat battery backup release, there is lots of useful info on this forum. Just search for battery. Another thing I would suggest is that, after initial adjustment, the straps are a fixed length. Once you have it right you can be sure it will be the same every time you use it. Buckles like this are quick to fasten and unfasten. https://www.amazon.co.uk/PLASTIC-DELRIN ... 2561&psc=1

BTW I rather like Onwrikbaar’s hand stock idea as it is difficult to see how it could get stuck and fail to release you.

Are you planning to put any padding on the board? It could be uncomfortable if not.

Are you happy about the flywheel diode now Gregovic has given you a reference? Just make sure the diode is specified to handle the applied voltage and the current in the magnet.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.
Onwrikbaar

Post by Onwrikbaar »

cldmm wrote:
Onwrikbaar wrote:My favorite way to lock my last free hand is by using an electromagnetic wrist restraint, controlled by software and with an oldfashioned electromechanical backup timer. It can be made absolutely escape proof and still failsafe.
i do like this idea. I have tried looking into this, but cannot understand it really. Seeing that you come from the netherlands as well, where did you get the parts, what parts did you choose, and how does it work exactly?

-cld
See below for a view from the front. The top bar is partly lifted to show what is underneath.
The magnet is screwed to the frame, the ferromagnetic plate is bolted to the top bar.
When the top bar is lowered onto the frame, the wrist is trapped. The electromagnet, when powered, keeps the top bar in place, and it would take over 100 kg of force to open it by trying to lift the wrist. When the magnet is turned off, you can move the top bar by rotating your wrist, and you're free again. There are no locks or latches of any kind, and this construction simply cannot jam.

The hinge can be found at any DIY store like Gamma or Praxis, and the magnet on Aliexpress. I already had the (scrap) wood, glue and screws; I just needed to measure and saw the wood, which was most of the work.
I also made a smaller, less clunky, version with an aluminium top bar.

I hope this helps.
IMG_2096.jpg
Sandman

Post by Sandman »

Hey OP awesome idea you have. I have been doing similiar self bondage for several years now with Segufix, and i have a solution for your problem. The short answer is that i use ice locks for my wrists. You can see an example of one here: https://www.etsy.com/se-en/listing/7419 ... ck=1&cns=1

I consider ice locks to be safe and foolproof. Ie. they dont require and electricty and are really sturdy so they wont break down. And as long as the temperature in your room isnt below freezing, you will be released sooner or later.

As mentioned earlier on this forum, my favourite scenario is strapping myself down on my bed using Segufix. The Segufix restraints are very similar to your drawings. I really get your idea of using restraints to stress down and give yourself a calming timeout :lol:

This is how i set up my equipment:

1. i attach all the Segufix restraints to the bed (I use a full set)
2. i attach 2 icelocks to the frame of the bed, so i can reach them with ,my hands when laying down on the bed.
3. I put on the wrist restraints, As of now they are not connected to anything, I just keep them tied to my wrists.
4. I lay down i bed, strapping myself down into the Segufix restraints. Starting with my feet, then thighs. I then secure the waist belt with crotch strap. Last i put on the shoulder restraints.
5. I am now completly strapped down, with the exception of my hands, and here comes the tricky part. I then use a padlock and it to one end of the ice lock. (the other end of the ice lock is attached to the bed.) It requires a bit of wiggling with my hands in order to get it to lock properly, I then repeat the process for the second hand.
6. Once the second wrist is attached and the padlock clicks in place i am truly strapped down.

Be warned though. The way this setup works IS THAT THERE IS NO BACKUP RELEASE METHOD. (This is a personal choice, i discussed this in an earlier post, see my post history for details)
Gregovic

Post by Gregovic »

Sandman wrote:Hey OP awesome idea you have. I have been doing similiar self bondage for several years now with Segufix, and i have a solution for your problem. The short answer is that i use ice locks for my wrists. You can see an example of one here: https://www.etsy.com/se-en/listing/7419 ... ck=1&cns=1

I consider ice locks to be safe and foolproof. Ie. they dont require and electricty and are really sturdy so they wont break down. And as long as the temperature in your room isnt below freezing, you will be released sooner or later.

As mentioned earlier on this forum, my favourite scenario is strapping myself down on my bed using Segufix. The Segufix restraints are very similar to your drawings. I really get your idea of using restraints to stress down and give yourself a calming timeout :lol:

This is how i set up my equipment:

2. i attach 2 icelocks to the frame of the bed, so i can reach them with ,my hands when laying down on the bed.
3. I put on the wrist restraints, As of now they are not connected to anything, I just keep them tied to my wrists.
4. I lay down i bed, strapping myself down into the Segufix restraints. Starting with my feet, then thighs. I then secure the waist belt with crotch strap. Last i put on the shoulder restraints.
5. I am now completly strapped down, with the exception of my hands, and here comes the tricky part. I then use a padlock and it to one end of the ice lock. (the other end of the ice lock is attached to the bed.) It requires a bit of wiggling with my hands in order to get it to lock properly, I then repeat the process for the second hand.
6. Once the second wrist is attached and the padlock clicks in place i am truly strapped down.

Be warned though. The way this setup works IS THAT THERE IS NO BACKUP RELEASE METHOD. (This is a personal choice, i discussed this in an earlier post, see my post history for details)
I've done similar sessions (I don't have a full set yet, looking into buying one). My main release is the normal magnet key for the lock caps in a K-safe. My backup is a heavy duty pair of scissors. If need be, I'll cut myself out, destroying the restraints in the process, something I'd rather not do.
How may I serve you? *Curtsey*
kinbaku

Post by kinbaku »

Gregovic wrote:
Sandman wrote:This is how i set up my equipment:

I've done similar sessions (I don't have a full set yet, looking into buying one). My main release is the normal magnet key for the lock caps in a K-safe. My backup is a heavy duty pair of scissors. If need be, I'll cut myself out, destroying the restraints in the process, something I'd rather not do.
I also, but with rope instead of Segufix and from point 5 on 2 ratchets connected to the ice locks (ice block in sock through the top rope clamp of each ratchet) on both top legs from the bed. In the beginning they are very loose so I can easily fasten my wrist cuffs. Then the left hand attracts the right hand and the right hand attracts the left. Due to the ratchets, the hands can no longer return. You can also use the 2-ring system instead of ratchets but in this case I find ratchets easier.
Sergio

Post by Sergio »

I've done similar but with magnetic locks rather than ice locks, or in fact now a combination but the ice lock being a chain in a 2l bottle which will take 12-24 hours, so it's a backup.

The way I've solved the problem of getting the locks done up is to use cable ties, quite long ones (50cm) which I use at their loosest to attach cuff and chain and then pull tight once I'm ready. I've also used lightweight ratchet pulleys sold for hydroponics but trying to make sure three lengths of cord don't tangle was a nuisance.
kinbaku

Post by kinbaku »

Sergio wrote:The way I've solved the problem of getting the locks done up is to use cable ties, quite long ones (50cm) which I use at their loosest to attach cuff and chain and then pull tight once I'm ready.
And the advantage of cable ties is that you can tie them in series for longer distances.
fgmaciel

Post by fgmaciel »

maybe you could use a magnetic closure like this ...
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3558659
or
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3556350

both can be done in wood or 3d printers