The Timeout Frame (With question for locking idea)

Ideas and instructions how you can make your own bondage toys.
cldmm

Re: The Timeout Frame (With question for locking idea)

Post by cldmm »

Gregovic wrote: What are you not understanding about the mechanism. Perhaps I can help?
Well the main problem is how to implement the electro magnets. Making it reliable, sturdy and compact. The only way i seem to make it work is a complex mess of straps wrapped around polls to get it to another location on the frame. I do not have any experiences with them, so i don't know what to take in to consideration when using them.

Second part is what i need to get, never worked with them so i have no idea what to get.

I took the whole mechanism out of the drawing and made a separate sketch to truly get it right. This is what i came up with.
lock 2.png
The magnets are guided trough a small pipe, so they dont go a different route when not in use.
When powered the strap is pulled tight.
lock 03.png
Now i need to think of a way to make the magnet not slip out of the pipe, and the straps not scrub on the wood and side of the pipe.
lock 01.png
Gregovic

Post by Gregovic »

But how do you tighten the side not connected to the magnet in your design? In the original the rope/strap is secured through a double ring device or some other one way clasp. So when you start securing yourself the magnet side of the strap is already connected to the magnet and held in place, then you tighten the other side.

As for the turns in the straps, don't over think it, if there's only one or 2 bends, just put a radius on the wood and it will probably already be fine. The nylon of the straps is quite slippery on it's own so will likely slide easily enough. If it's not a small metal plate with radius sanded or ground on it (or a metal rod) can serve as the bend point. I don't think you would need rollers for a construction like this.
How may I serve you? *Curtsey*
cldmm

Post by cldmm »

Gregovic wrote:But how do you tighten the side not connected to the magnet in your design? In the original the rope/strap is secured through a double ring device or some other one way clasp. So when you start securing yourself the magnet side of the strap is already connected to the magnet and held in place, then you tighten the other side.
I got it completely reverse. The strap is already measured to be the correct size for my wrist. So only the magnets have to activate to start the session. What i didn't know, is that when i strap myself in the magnet is already active, so i cannot get in anymore if the other end of the strap is fixed :facepalm: . Beginner error? :oops: . Also, i'm playing with the idea to have my hands in a tube, so grabbing anything becomes impossible.

I had this idea i got from an old video of house of gord, wherein some one straps her/him self in a bondage chair. The last straps are the wrist, they are put trough the loops, making a upwards motion and the straps are pulled down. I can't find the specific video online, but can find something similar , watch from 2:44. That's the idea that i'm going for.

What do you think of this solution. If the magnets are active, but the part that needs to be hold by it, is placed on a small nail which prevents it from going towards the magnet. I place my wrist in the loop, pull out the nail (how i not yet know), magnet graps the other part and it closes.
02.png
Gregovic

Post by Gregovic »

It might work. However the attractive force of the magnet will likely not be very strong at all if you need a workable amount of slack in the strap when it is not closed. As you've drawn it this will only work if the weight is heavy enough and the tube is vertical so gravity can pull the end to the magnet You could however use a spring if you want to go this way in any other orientation.

I can't find it right now but I've seen a description from the builder of the chair in that video how his mechanism works. On self bondage versions one side of the straps is held in place by a panic snap, with the closing bar connected to a small wire that goes up to the top of the armrest near the fingers. The other side is connected to a heavy spring. When setting things up the spring would be stretched and hooked to a slightly out of line nail, so that it stays in place. When the subject has taken his/her place they pull the wrist loops and the spring slips off the nail, causing the spring to pull the loops tight. At the bottom the spring would pull the strap around a ledge which hooked something on the strap and prevented it from being pulled up again.

You could do a similar trick with the spring and nail to keep the magnets away from the magnet until you pull the loop up a bit to pull it off the nail. Then you just have to be careful that the loop will want to stay small (because the spring is always pulling it) so if the strap hooks behind the tube or something when you go to pull your arms out you might get stuck. In any case I'd always advice to do a few short test runs, first with only hand in the locking loops and no tubes for the hands, so you have a hand free to get yourself out if need be just to see if you can get out when you are actually trapped, then another run with only one hand but the hand tube in place, then finally a run with both hands in the loops, but no hand tubes and a pair of heavy duty scissors (like rescue scissors or similar) near your hand as backup. Only if all that works without problem and you can definitely get yourself free again should you go for the full run in my opinion. (yes, I'm a "zeiksnor" when it comes to safety, comes with the job I guess. I like it when members are able to come back to post about their experiences)

PS: If something is unclear and you want to communicate in Dutch, feel free to PM me. Sometimes doing something in native tongue can make things much easier to understand :wink:
cldmm

Post by cldmm »

Hinge with weights, that is naturally not engaged, and hangs down. If the weight of the magnet is put on the front part of the hinge, then it prevents it from going downwards. Pull the loop and the hinge falls back in the natural position and magnet falls to the electro magnet.
ledge01.png
Onwrikbaar

Post by Onwrikbaar »

cldmm wrote:What do you think of this solution. If the magnets are active, but the part that needs to be hold by it, is placed on a small nail which prevents it from going towards the magnet. I place my wrist in the loop, pull out the nail (how i not yet know), magnet graps the other part and it closes.
Why not just leave the magnets powered off until both of them are closed? You may be interested in this recent discussion.
Kinbaku

Post by Kinbaku »

Perhaps this is also an opportunity to consider. With a rope at the loose end that you can pull with the other hand and instead of ice the activated magnet.
Shannon SteelSlave

Post by Shannon SteelSlave »

I think that unless we are going for something high tech, it is just a matter of securing the last free hand, with a "promise" that it will reliably release. All of the other straps can be buckled belts, ropes, whatever your preference.
Bondage is like a foreign film without subtitles. Only through sharing and practice can we hope to understand.
A Jedi uses bondage for knowledge and defense, never for attack.
I am so smart! I am so smart! S-M-R-T!....I, I mean S-M-A-R-T!
👠👠
Gregovic

Post by Gregovic »

Shannon SteelSlave wrote:I think that unless we are going for something high tech, it is just a matter of securing the last free hand, with a "promise" that it will reliably release. All of the other straps can be buckled belts, ropes, whatever your preference.
As backup I would personally prefer to have a redundant release mechanism on the other hand, just to reduce the chance of getting stuck further
cldmm

Post by cldmm »

Shannon SteelSlave wrote:I think that unless we are going for something high tech, it is just a matter of securing the last free hand, with a "promise" that it will reliably release. All of the other straps can be buckled belts, ropes, whatever your preference.
Gregovic wrote:As backup I would personally prefer to have a redundant release mechanism on the other hand, just to reduce the chance of getting stuck further
I agree with Gregovic on this one. Maybe I'm overthinking all of this, but for me that's the fun part. It may surprise you, but I'm a bit of a perfectionist :oops: . If it's worth doing, it's worth doing right.
The straps other than my wrist are done manually and don't require to much complicated design. My wrist are however very important, and like to create redundancy for both of them. While i still have to figure out how they exactly work, i'm sure i want them in duplex.
22.png
21.png
Another great benefit, i can take the whole mechanics out of this design and implement it in other ones in the future. If they are simple, it saves time, and that makes new idea's possible.

Small question for the moderators. Is it a problem i keep adding posts and pictures or is the frequency to high?
Shannon SteelSlave

Post by Shannon SteelSlave »

You're doing fine, just what we need around here. :D
With that, I will yield the floor to those who are here to create. Have at it, have fun.
Bondage is like a foreign film without subtitles. Only through sharing and practice can we hope to understand.
A Jedi uses bondage for knowledge and defense, never for attack.
I am so smart! I am so smart! S-M-R-T!....I, I mean S-M-A-R-T!
👠👠
Kinbaku

Post by Kinbaku »

cldmm wrote: Is it a problem i keep adding posts and pictures or is the frequency to high?
Please continue, i love your beautiful designs. :hi:
ZipMeUp

Post by ZipMeUp »

Looks like a great system to hold the restraints open until you're ready to lock the last lock.
Here's an idea to eliminate one more moving part: Replace the hinge and weighted latch with a strip of weak spring metal fastened (epoxied?) to the tube the magnet goes through. A strip of metal zip tie would probably be the right strength.
Init.png
Init.png (8.65 KiB) Viewed 2262 times
EDIT: To clarify the spring metal strip should be bent slightly outward so when you pull up on the magnet weight it releases it.
Last edited by ZipMeUp on 04 Jun 2020, 06:23, edited 1 time in total.
It it ain't inescapable... It ain't my kind of bondage.
cldmm

Post by cldmm »

ZipMeUp wrote:Here's an idea to eliminate one more moving part: Replace the hinge and weighted latch with a strip of weak spring metal fastened (epoxied?) to the tube the magnet goes through. A strip of metal zip tie would probably be the right strength.
But what would happen after the sessions end and the magnets are loose again? If there is a metal strip there, its not possible to pull up the strap and release my wrist. The magnet will be stuck behind it. :?:
Sometimes oversimplification isn't the best idea, you end up with a single USB on a laptop for example :rofl: .

ZipMeUp wrote:EDIT: To clarify the spring metal strip should be bent slightly outward so when you pull up on the magnet weight it releases it.
Ah, that part i misunderstood. I will take it into consideration. :) .
Keyless

Post by Keyless »

Why not mount a toggle switch on the board out of reach of your hand, which will energize the magnet. Attach a length of string and a loop that you can pull to turn the switch on with your finger when you are strapped down and comfortable. Make sure it is a good quality switch that can handle the current for the magnet easily. You don’t want to find it overheating once you are secure. If you want something a bit more elegant, use a relay to energize the magnet and use another pair of contacts to energize the relay itself. All you need then is a push button to short the relay contacts to energize the relay. It will then stay energized via its own contacts. Again, make sure the relay is up to the job.

You have not said anything about what is going to release you. Remember the magnet (and the relay if you use one) have inductance. You may need flywheel (or catch) diodes. Do you have a plan for an emergency release? With a scenario as immobilizing as this, I suggest you really should have one.