How to rig a garage door to open automatically/on a timer?

Ideas and instructions how you can make your own bondage toys.
applepine

How to rig a garage door to open automatically/on a timer?

Post by applepine »

Hey all,

Long time lurker, first time poster. I am designing a scenario which will take place in a regular two car garage. The basic premise is that the subject (myself) will be naked and cuffed in such a manner that they cannot move far until they have done some task or series of tasks to access the handcuff key. Once this is done, they are freed. What I am wanting to do, is add in a sense of "urgency" to the situation. I would do this by having the garage door lift up after a certain amount of time, essentially forcing the subject to complete the task quickly or risk embarrassment. (The scenario would occur at night, and the garage view is secluded, but the risk is still there to encourage quick completion of the task).

Now, my problem is that I have little to no mechanical or electrical know-how. I'm sure there is a way to wire something up to a timer to create this, but I'd rather not go that route. I'd rather there be a physical activation of this. There are two "openers" to the garage door. The first is mounted on the wall, about shoulder height. It's a large button that when pressed raises the garage. The second is the mobile one I keep in my car and clips to the visor, which can be detached. A click of the button also would raise the door.

The easiest way I can think of would be to try and rig it so that the mobile opener is on the ground with the button facing the roof of the garage, and make it so that something heavy would eventually fall on it, thus pressing the button and raising the garage. Unfortunately, this could miss the device, or hit it at the wrong angle and not activate it. I also thought of doing some sort of ice lock type thing, but I want the activation to be relatively fast (probably no longer than ten minutes after set up).

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to make this happen?
lj

Re: How to rig a garage door to open automatically/on a time

Post by lj »

Here's a mechanically simple way.

Get a piece of wood, pretty much anything but for example 2" wide 12 " long 1/2" thick(or 50mm x 300mm x 12) plus something that provides a fulcrum - that is, allows the wood to rock (think in terms of a see-saw)

put the door actuator on the floor, the button under one end of the piece of wood. Find something that when put over the wood and button, weighs enough to press the button to actuate the door.

then get a container, perhaps an old tin can, big enough to fill with water so that when placed on the other end of the wood, the button is released and then some

All you need then is to make a small hole in the can, water will leak out and eventually the water in the can will no longer stop the weight pressing down on the button, and the door will open

you'll need to put this somewhere that the water won't matter, and won't get the actuator wet ! plus a bit of experimenting to get the timing right
be a switch, double the fun :-)
Shannon SteelSlave

Post by Shannon SteelSlave »

Welcome to Bound Anna, applepine.
Glade makes a battery powered automatic room deodorizer, with a motor and gears that will push down on a spray can and release every 9, 18, or 36 minutes. Maybe open one up, put the garage remote on the bottom, and cut a pencil or a stick with rubber ends to fit between the piston and garage remote button to the right length to press the button. The rubber from the eraser will help fit the stick or pencil in tight and avoid slipping off the button. You still need a back up, as things can still go wrong. (Deodorizer machine batteries die, motor fails, device falls over and loses the pencil and remote, remote batteries fail, door electrics fail, ect)
Bondage is like a foreign film without subtitles. Only through sharing and practice can we hope to understand.
A Jedi uses bondage for knowledge and defense, never for attack.
I am so smart! I am so smart! S-M-R-T!....I, I mean S-M-A-R-T!
👠👠
GeneralError

Post by GeneralError »

I don't have such a fancy garage opener, so I don't know how their logic is wired. I wonder what happens when you start the opening and then after a second just interrupts the the power supply (like pulling the plug). If you later connect it again, will it resume the opening? If yes, you could just use a timer switch for timed opening.
But it might also be the case that interrupting the power is resetting the opener and one has to manually start it again. (For security reasons this would be much saver. So I guess my naive idea will not work)
Another idea: What about the end stop switch? This is usually a littly lever which is pressed by the door when it reaches the end position. Can you manually press it and release it and the opening stops and resumes?
applepine

Post by applepine »

@lj This does seem like a very good and fun solution! What I like about this one is that once I have it set up, I would not know an exact time of when the button would be pressed!

@Shannon SteelSlave This will probably be the easiest solution for me, as I already have one of those Febreeze things. Knowing the exact time may be better or worse for me though haha. Thanks for the welcome!

@GeneralError I'm not sure how power interruption would work on my garage. It has a sensor for if something is blocking the closing path of the door, so it stands to reason that there would be a failsafe