Turning chain handcuffs into rigid ones

Ideas and instructions how you can make your own bondage toys.
zipupthestrap

Turning chain handcuffs into rigid ones

Post by zipupthestrap »

I've been using standard chain handcuffs in selfbondage for quite some time. I wanted to experience rigid / hinged handcuffs because they're more restrictive, but they are also quite dangerous. First off, I've read that they are really easy to get totally and utterly stuck in. I once bought hinged handcuffs to use as bike locks (one around each tire) and before I cut them in half I tried them half on. I quickly realized that if I locked both bracelets I'd be stuck as a duck.

Given how I was doing another (non-SB) carpentry related project, I decided to turn the spare pieces of wood into a handcuff rigidifyer. It consists of a shell that goes over the chain and locks of the cuffs, with a pin and padlock to hold it all in place. So far, I have tried it once and I was absolutely STUCK until the timer expired. The keyholes were covered and even if they weren't covered, I couldn't reach them.

Once the timer padlock pops open, you can unfasten it, let the pin drop out, then rotate your wrists to remove the cuffs from the block. From there it's just like removing regular cuffs.

As fun as this device may be, there are a few precautions you have to take. First off, the added restriction means you will want something under the handcuffs such as a jacket to protect your wrists. Make sure you have something available to cut the timer padlock if it fails. Make sure that the pin can fall out, and make sure that you can reliably escape from the handcuffs once the padlock pops off and the pin falls out. If gravity cannot reliably pull out the pin, you will need to securely tie a rope around it so you can pull the pin out. There may be other ways this can fail, TEST TEST TEST before you get yourself :gag: .
device to turn chain handcuffs into rigid ones
device to turn chain handcuffs into rigid ones
BoundInKasugai

Re: Turning chain handcuffs into rigid ones

Post by BoundInKasugai »

Thanks for sharing, pullmychord! Nice setup. Also quite scary.
more_secure

Post by more_secure »

Good invention @pullmychord, and yes, rigid one's such as UK Police handcuffs are very restrictive indeed - sometimes too restrictive for SB, depending on what you're going for.

By the way, there is already an invention for what you have made and described. Do a google search for "Hiatt Blue Box". They are used in security applications for transporting prisoners etc and I believe they function the same way. Here's a photo:
hb.png
AFAIK, they function as making the cuffs rigid, while covering the key holes and they can be attached to a waist belt using a metal hook so they're pretty secure.

There's also a bunch of videos of them being used on PH, I believe they were gotcuffs.com vidz, for those interested.
== I put on a mask to reveal my true identity ==
zipupthestrap

Post by zipupthestrap »

Never seen the Hiatt blue box before. For $25 it looks like a pretty good deal and they look quite secure as well.
more_secure

Post by more_secure »

Yeah I'm considering buying one myself, even though I already have a few pairs of rigid cuffs.

I have been playing around with new release methods recently using timed digital locks (popular on Aliexpress) and from what I can tell, the blue box has a few benefits here. Not only does it make the cuffs rigid, it also conceals the key holes and allows for the unit to be connected to a waist chain via a robust metal ring, so I was thinking to connect a timed lock to this ring thus locking the unit, so it would be impossible to get at the keyholes until the timer had finished and I could remove the box. Given the effectiveness of the setup, I'm working on an idea to daisy chain the digital locks, thus to add some redundancy into the setup, in case one of the locks fails for some reason.
Blacky

Post by Blacky »

more_secure wrote:Yeah I'm considering buying one myself, even though I already have a few pairs of rigid cuffs.

I have been playing around with new release methods recently using timed digital locks (popular on Aliexpress) and from what I can tell, the blue box has a few benefits here. Not only does it make the cuffs rigid, it also conceals the key holes and allows for the unit to be connected to a waist chain via a robust metal ring, so I was thinking to connect a timed lock to this ring thus locking the unit, so it would be impossible to get at the keyholes until the timer had finished and I could remove the box. Given the effectiveness of the setup, I'm working on an idea to daisy chain the digital locks, thus to add some redundancy into the setup, in case one of the locks fails for some reason.
First off, the locks you refer to have frequently been reported to have failed. So the idea to increase the safety by daisy-chaining them seem very appropriate.

As for the daisy-chain itself:
You could insert a single chain link into the cluebox's cutout, so that the link protrudes to either side of the box.
With each of two locks: insert the wire through one end of the chain link, then loop it through the waist chain, then lock it.
This way, once any of the two locks opens, you can remove that lock, then pull the chain link through the box onto the side of the still closed lock.

Not sure, if this can work in reality, but in my mind, it does.

Best regards,
stay safe

Blacky
If the doors of perception were cleansed everything would appear to man as it is, infinite. (W. Blake)
more_secure

Post by more_secure »

@Blacky - yeah I can visualise what you mean about the chain link, good idea. 2 locks means twice the redundancy. Regarding the digital locks - I read up on them in detail prior to buying them and I found a post of someone (probably on this forum) who did an extensive test for battery life, strength, breakableness, etc... The fundamental issue with these locks is that if they fail, they stay locked, which is not in any way ideal for SB, as you say. I have previously used them to lock a collar on, rather than as a primary timed escape method, so worse case scenario you'd be free but with a locked collar - nothing that a pair of pliers couldn't solve. Definitely better to play safe though, good of you to mention the risks :)
Maid_Lauren

Post by Maid_Lauren »

ASP makes hinged and chained handcuffs with the key hole on both sides.