Easy diy timerlocks?

Ideas and instructions how you can make your own bondage toys.
Gregovic

Re: Easy diy timerlocks?

Post by Gregovic »

Shannon SteelSlave wrote:
Gregovic wrote:While I really like the design and idea of those Magbound locks, I feel they're pretty dang expensive for what they are. The magnet itself looks like a standard 6v P50/30 DC magnet, (you can get those for about 8 to 10 dollars from AliExpress). The strike plate is 2 oversized fender washers. The eyes are an M8 eyebolt in the back and an M8 eyenut with an M8 countersunk screw on the strikeplate. The only tricky bit is the body, which looks like it is custom made on a lathe out of a single piece of nylon or POM and that is where most of the cost would be. Putting on my thinking cap, 50mm PVC sewer pipe exists :idea: ... I'll be off looking at what is available now, I might try to build one of these soon. :shock:
Good. That shop is on vacation right now. I bet you could sell them here. If you gave them away to the world, you may flatten out that Covid curve.
It's not so easy unfortunately. Reading the specs on the cheap chinese magnets more closely I might have spoken too soon, and the standard ones won't work probably. They pull 1.8 amps at 6V :shock: . 11W of heat in such a small package inside a plastic housing would be problematic. Even if at 5 volts it would be a bit lower. I'm afraid dialling back the current would also severely limit the holding power. On the other hand, they advertise at 35KG (minimum) holding force, which is about half the rated capacity of a 50/30, and their power draw figures based on run time by capacity listed is about 1 amp. So maybe they ARE using a standard 50/30 and running it at 5v with a resistor to tune the resistance and therefore power draw... But then I notice they don't actually use an Eyebolt at the bottom, but an eye nut, and the magnet appears to be secured with 3 screws from the outside, which is non standard... My engineering brain is contantly flipflopping between: "yeah, I can totally build that" and "no, they have a custom magnet that cannot be copied."

So I did the naughty thing engineers sometimes do and messaged a vendor what the cost for a custom magnet with OD 50mm, radial wire exit, 1 amp current draw at 5v with a holding force of >35kg would cost if custom ordered as single piece prototype and 100 piece lot :mrgreen: . Then we'll know how doable it would be :rofl:

The MagBound product is expensive, but I'm starting to understand why. After looking more closely, while it's a simple product, there appears to be a lot of (manual) labour involved in making it a polished and well made product, that are not obvious at first sight. Maybe it'll be possible to make a cheap-ish knockoff myself, and if I do I'll post a how to on this forum, but I doubt it'll be possible to make a competing product for much less cost (Especially since they seem to offer free shipping, which is probably about 10 to 20 euros in itself)

BTW: If anyone considers buying this, I'd consider going directly to the source: https://selfbondage-shop.com/. I suspect Etsy take quite a cut if ordered through there (plus you have to then pay for shipping).
How may I serve you? *Curtsey*
john

Post by john »

Kitchen safes and washing maschine do sound like good ways to keep you from getting to your keys, but sadly those wont help in a tightly bound scenario
cdinbonds

Post by cdinbonds »

Why not use a timed release for a key and use good locks? The key swings or drops to where you can reach it and then you can unlock the good locks. If you look on the main BoundAnna site you will see the cell phone release, which can drop your key at exactly the time you choose, or can be randomized by waiting for the phone to ring from a call.
There's a fine line between cuddling and holding someone down so they can't get away.
The beatings will continue until morale improves.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons - for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.
sweh

Post by sweh »

Gregovic wrote:It's not so easy unfortunately. Reading the specs on the cheap chinese magnets more closely I might have spoken too soon, and the standard ones won't work probably. They pull 1.8 amps at 6V
I've been playing around with a door hold magnet. Something like https://www.amazon.com/Holding-Electric ... B00JERC00S is 12V with 0.15A which is only 1.8W. It's not as nice a form factor, but I reckon it could still be used.

I reckon these could be powered from a 9V battery and still have enough holding force when you can't get proper leverage, and that'd act as a secondary failsafe; eventually the battery will die!
Gregovic

Post by Gregovic »

sweh wrote:
Gregovic wrote:It's not so easy unfortunately. Reading the specs on the cheap chinese magnets more closely I might have spoken too soon, and the standard ones won't work probably. They pull 1.8 amps at 6V
I've been playing around with a door hold magnet. Something like https://www.amazon.com/Holding-Electric ... B00JERC00S is 12V with 0.15A which is only 1.8W. It's not as nice a form factor, but I reckon it could still be used.

I reckon these could be powered from a 9V battery and still have enough holding force when you can't get proper leverage, and that'd act as a secondary failsafe; eventually the battery will die!
I have 2 of those around for experimenting, but their shape and weight makes them much harder to use than the more compact round magnets. I have some use in mind for them, more on that later, but I'm kinda busy and with the current pandemic I'm trying to stay at home as much as possible so a trip to the DIY store is tricky. The ones I have draw closer to .25 amps though (not that that is a massive current draw either). The advantage of the magbound product is that it can be powered with standard USB battery banks, which makes using it in lots of different scenarios easier. 12V brings it's own struggles, though I've been thinking about repurposing some cheap-ish cordless drill batteries. I'd still have to purpose buy them though and their not THAT cheap, so.. yeah. :oops: That's why I was looking at a 6v magnet.
Kinbaku

Post by Kinbaku »

I once made a Water timer from a big plastic water bottle without ridges on the side, a small plastic bottle and a few paper clips.
From the paper clips I made 2 ring screws like https://www.pgb-europe.com/files/import ... detail.png that were assembled with the rings; one for the small bottle and one protruding from the large bottle for the key.
Was tied to a chair and the key was tied to the top of the backrest of the chair with a string so that once enough water got into the bottom half of the bottle, the key swung down to the level where my hands were on the back of the chair.
You must only test the diameter of the opening in the cap - I made 2 small openings with a head pin - and the amount of water in the bottle.
Also take sufficient margin, because at the latter the pressure drops in the top half and reduces (stops) the dripping.
KacieMx

Post by KacieMx »

You could make an ice lock. Wouldn't be difficult with some pvc tubes, a drill, and some eye bolts. Just prime and glue caps on the ends, use two different size tubes so one fits inside the other, drill some holes through the inner tube so the ice goes all the way through. You can glue grommets into the holes in the caps for better sealing, and wrap the outer tube in insulation for longer results.
Gregovic

Post by Gregovic »

So I had a 12v 40mm magnet already and decided to see if making a "magbound" like magnet the way I had in mind could work. Had to order some M5 eye-nuts and buy some 40mm M8 washers, but the process was pretty simple.
IMG_20200425_235028_677.jpg
IMG_20200425_234912_672.jpg
IMG_20200425_234747_396.jpg
The body is made by cutting a 40mm pvc pipe coupler in half and grinding out the ring of material to full diameter. The magnet is held in place by the cable and a ring of 40mm pipe glued in behind the magnet. The strike plate is a stack of large washers with a countersunk screw through the middle and an eyenut on the other side.

While this works, unfortunately the magnet just isn't strong enough and I can pull the strike plate off with my hands. It could work with some added mechanical advantage . It does prove this method of making a thing like this can work. I might try it with a 50mm magnet at some point. Still not sure about the powerdraw of those though.
john

Post by john »

So i just found the solution to one part of my problem:

https://www.geniehand.com/product/time-lock-safe/

It is quite expensive but it's more or less the solution for long term bdsm plays. I could lock the keys to my chastity, cuffs and all the fun stuff in that for weeks. And the backup key could be stored in a place that is very embarassing to go and get it, so it realy only an option in extreme situations.

As for the other part of my problem, i had a bit of a think... so far the best (and in fact almost only) solution are those magnetic locks. I have a few problems with them though so i tried to fix them. Firstly i dont like the idea of having to drain a whole batterie for them to unlock. I need to be able to vary the time so id have to come up with some sort of electronic timer system. I havent figured that part out yet. I also need them to be portable and function with batteries outside of my house so a timed wall socket is out. The second problem is, that those cuffs use huge magnets that require quite some power to hold. I had an idea to solve that issue. Instead of the magnet being the thing locking you, i would use a metal pin that locks a chain. the pin is spring loaded and held closed by the magnet. Once the time is up the magnet releases the pin, the spring will push it back and therefore release the chain.

What do you guys and gals think about that? Do you see any problems with that idea? Any improvements or suggestions?

Thanks for all the help so far

John
Kinbaku

Post by Kinbaku »

john wrote:What do you guys and gals think about that? Do you see any problems with that idea? Any improvements or suggestions?
On the main page of Boundanna: /BASICS/Selfbondage Release Methods/Timed Release: with insteed of the ice, you have your magnet.
I was also thinking of viewtopic.php?f=12&t=11723&p=84186&hili ... ute#p84168 (I made one with only using rope). On the other side you have your magnet that hold a pin that will block the parachute cord.
john

Post by john »

jep that is basically what i had in mind, except instead of a weight dropping i would try to incorporate a spring. Just makes it easyier to set up and more mobile since it would all be contained in one small box
Keyless

Post by Keyless »

john wrote:So i just found the solution to one part of my problem:

https://www.geniehand.com/product/time-lock-safe/

It is quite expensive but it's more or less the solution for long term bdsm plays. I could lock the keys to my chastity, cuffs and all the fun stuff in that for weeks. And the backup key could be stored in a place that is very embarassing to go and get it, so it realy only an option in extreme situations.
I think this is a relatively cheap safe with something like one of these inside:
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=11399&hilit=timer . Search Ebay or Amazon for CN101 timer.
If I am right, yes, it's expensive. Also it is a weekly timer. It allows you to set up "windows" of time during the week that the safe can be opened, so the maximum delay is only a week.I don't think that's what you want.

BTW the Kitchen Safe might do what you want and much cheaper. https://www.thekitchensafe.com/pages/products . I haven't got one myself, but lots of people do use one. Of course you can break it open, but the cost of replacement might be a strong enough deterrent.
celine 13006

Post by celine 13006 »

Very cheap and work's perfect:
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=12604
swswl

Post by swswl »

Gregovic wrote:The strike plate is a stack of large washers with a countersunk screw through the middle and an eyenut on the other side.

While this works, unfortunately the magnet just isn't strong enough and I can pull the strike plate off with my hands. It could work with some added mechanical advantage . It does prove this method of making a thing like this can work. I might try it with a 50mm magnet at some point. Still not sure about the powerdraw of those though.
I actually have a 50mm magnet in my cart on AliExpress right now, but the only thing keeping me from pulling the trigger is that I can’t seem to find a M8x50 washer anywhere. Where did you find yours?

Also wondering if the bottom washer itself needs to be modified to accept the countersunk bolt to make sure everything’s flush at the base, which is super important to maximize the holding force.

Thanks!
Shannon SteelSlave

Post by Shannon SteelSlave »

Maybe a fender washer, 2 inch with 1/4-5/16 hole? Try search for fender washer. Maybe this link from the 'Depot might be a start. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-1- ... /204284504
Bondage is like a foreign film without subtitles. Only through sharing and practice can we hope to understand.
A Jedi uses bondage for knowledge and defense, never for attack.
I am so smart! I am so smart! S-M-R-T!....I, I mean S-M-A-R-T!
👠👠