Help designing a circuit using a prototype board

Ideas and instructions how you can make your own bondage toys.
mtlsub

Help designing a circuit using a prototype board

Post by mtlsub »

I have a project with a big mess of wires going to and from a breadboard. I want to make a custom pcb (The prototype kind with all the holes). I was wondering if there is an online tool i can use to help me plan the layout? This is my first attempt and I am not sure where to start.

Thanks.
kinbaku

Re: Help designing a circuit using a prototype board

Post by kinbaku »

Maybe this will help: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3jFsNffzxQ and https://fritzing.org/home/ :D

I've build some simple arduino breadboards (vibrator torture :twisted: ). I've bought some PCB's but haven't got the time for the
change my project in PCB. :whip:
Shannon SteelSlave

Post by Shannon SteelSlave »

kinbaku wrote: I've build some simple arduino breadboards (vibrator torture :twisted: ). I've bought some PCB's but haven't got the time for the
change my project in PCB. :whip:
Want to get serious with us? Might have something to interest you
Bondage is like a foreign film without subtitles. Only through sharing and practice can we hope to understand.
A Jedi uses bondage for knowledge and defense, never for attack.
I am so smart! I am so smart! S-M-R-T!....I, I mean S-M-A-R-T!
👠👠
lj

Post by lj »

There are lots of different prototype boards, so a bit of info from the OP would help.

Some have a matrix of holes and small pads, usually on a 0.1" grid. Some have complex pad layouts, strips for common connections like power supplies etc, some are simply a matrix of holes, with copper strips running in parallel linking rows of holes, some even simpler are just holes!

Using the simple holes+ strips allows for quite complicated circuits to be put together. You use a cutter to break the copper strips into shorter lengths, and wire links going from strip to strip, and use components to bridge the holes etc etc.

This works for a one-off, but is a tedious business for more than one, and anyway is fraught with time-consuming error checking and fault finding (incomplete hole cutting of strips, and solder bridges are the usual culprits.)

In the commercial world, unless there are less than 20 standard components, it is more cost-effective to design a "real" printed circuit - there are companies that will do a fairly cheap one-off prototype board from a suitable CAD file.

When I started in electronics, there were no CAD programmes so designs were done initially on squared paper - black pencil for solder pads, red for top-side wire links, blue for solder-side tracks - and a good eraser and lots of patience. For a relatively simple design that still works!
be a switch, double the fun :-)
Riddle

Post by Riddle »

mtlsub wrote:I have a project with a big mess of wires going to and from a breadboard. I want to make a custom pcb (The prototype kind with all the holes). I was wondering if there is an online tool i can use to help me plan the layout? This is my first attempt and I am not sure where to start.

Thanks.
How about a proto board that resembles your breadboard?
https://www.adafruit.com/product/590
Resident timer maker. :hi:
Let’s make timers together!