Seeking Suggestions for Machine Use

Ideas and instructions how you can make your own bondage toys.
xt

Seeking Suggestions for Machine Use

Post by xt »

OK Gang,

Since I'm sure you've all been following this one:

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=12423

...be aware that the Chamberlain garage door opener company went above and beyond: they said that, because my logic board probably got fried and it is no longer in production, they were going to SEND ME A WHOLE BRAND-NEW OPENER KIT, free of charge! So they completely replaced a unit, made in 1993 AND sold to some previous owner of the house, w/o even charging me for shipping. Customer service above and beyond, indeed, perhaps worth taking note of when considering a similar such purchase for your own home.

ANYWAY!

So I do still have the original, functional door opener drive mechanism, i.e., the big motor unit that hangs from the ceiling and, through use of a sprocket and chain, provides reasonably strong pulling force. Certainly enough force to, say, "convince" someone to move or follow if they happen to be attached to it via a crotch or nipple rope or chain? And therein lies the reason for my post -- what should I *do* with the thing?

(At the moment I cannot think of the term for "kinking up" an otherwise vanilla item, but that's where we are right now!)

I was fantasizing that I could install a series of posts in the backyard that I would use as supports and guides for a continuous loop of chain, with the unit's drive sprocket placed in-line somewhere, such that running the unit would run the chain ran all throughout the pattern of guides. (Picture a ski lift chair, or better yet, an airborne tram car being pulled along its course through an amusement park.) Deduce a way to connect something to that chain that wouldn't snag whilst passing through the intermediate sprockets atop the posts, and boom, you could "convince" someone connected via a crotch or nipple line to follow along...on and off, all afternoon, all day, whatever one's wishes...

Of course, back in the real world, while the engineering design itself is fairly straightforward, the ability to establish and maintain continuous tension on the loop of chain would be nearly impossible to execute, in which case the whole thing falls apart. Literally... :-(

Back inside the garage, mounting the drive unit sideways, i.e., such that the rotor plane of the sprocket is perpendicular to the floor, now you've created a poor man's powered pulley, which could also be used to tighten up a rope or line hanging down from it. Bummer here, though, is that you'd only be using a few inches of travel (at most) to tighten up a rope for each instance, so why waste all that time installing it when you could just *manually* pull a rope through a ceiling-suspended pulley to get someone up on their toes?

So now you can see: I have a machine capable of providing adequate pulling force, and I need ideas on how to put it to best use! All suggestions welcome.
Gregovic

Re: Seeking Suggestions for Machine Use

Post by Gregovic »

Does it actually provide a lot of force or does it reverse direction when getting blocked? Most garage door openers I know do that. Would be a shame if a bit of force keeps it in one corner
How may I serve you? *Curtsey*
Shannon SteelSlave

Post by Shannon SteelSlave »

Gregovic wrote:Does it actually provide a lot of force or does it reverse direction when getting blocked? Most garage door openers I know do that. Would be a shame if a bit of force keeps it in one corner
Usually on the way down. Some use a photo diode sensor for safety. I have only seen them open a door if it detects a possible collision. But since one could use the motor in the opposite direction, that does get me thinking. Cooperate with the chain, or else, maybe the reverse direction causes a consequence?
Can't really sit down for posting time right now, but thought I might help steer this thread a bit. We need you to go and do some more experiments and inform us of the motor's behaviour. If load is added or removed form the chain, what happens? Both directions, or just one? It might be best to call the direction clockwise or counterclockwise, or at least define them as either up and down in relation to motor rotation. How much load does it take to reverse? Is the threshold load adjustable?
Hope I can put my thinker on later for you. You got a good idea and I like your thinking.
Bondage is like a foreign film without subtitles. Only through sharing and practice can we hope to understand.
A Jedi uses bondage for knowledge and defense, never for attack.
I am so smart! I am so smart! S-M-R-T!....I, I mean S-M-A-R-T!
👠👠
xt

Post by xt »

Excellent points, all.

And though I haven't yet had the time to test it out, for this "unintended" use, two thoughts:

1) The manufacturers always instruct to test the auto-reversing feature, and warn about possible injury or even death if it does not work properly. Purely speculation here, but methinks that applied force, even shy of enough to cause such harm, *should* be adequate to assure "compliance" by someone whose sensitive bits are attached to the mechanism. (But you never know, and maybe the mfrs. are merely being well-overly cautious, for safety reasons.)

2) *Love* the idea of "cooperate or else", though as usual with these types of things -- "solutions in search of problems", or whatever? -- the actual execution will probably be way more difficult than a straightforward "manual" process. But where's the fun in that? ;-)

I thank you both for appreciating the warped thought process that told me, "You can't just get *rid* of this thing yet!"
xt

Post by xt »

Results from the first bit of testing. Be aware that this was originally an older installation, and as such did not have the diode-based safety reversing mechanism...

...and AFAICT, it didn't / doesn't have very much of a resistance-based reversing mechanism, either.

To wit, I put the unit on the ground in front of me and sat with my feet up against it, in something of a rowing position. I threaded the chain around the sprocket and, wearing sturdy gloves, held on to each side of the chain in such a way as to not allow it to slip in my grip. I clipped a remote to one of the gloves so I could simultaneously keep my grip on both ends of the chain and still tap the up/down button.

Trust me when I say that I am not a weak person. With that in mind, I was NOT ABLE to hold onto the chain with force sufficient to stop the sprocket, or to have it auto-reverse, in the position I was sitting in. Might it be possible for me to stop it under ideal conditions, or have it grind to a halt? Say, if the unit were securely fixed to something immobile, and I was able to hold my body perfectly straight against (and perpendicular to) it as I held the chain?

Probably, but not without effort. The thing claims to be "1/2 horsepower", which (if I correctly understand and apply the generally accepted principles) is the equivalent of moving 275 lbs. a distance of one foot in one second. Am I capable of that? I can directly say "yes", judging by two or three different gym exercises I do. Is this a perfect answer?

No, but for our purposes, I can say the following without a doubt: this thing is providing WAY more force than one could ever care to try to resist, by way of the sensitive bits.

OK, now get those thinking caps on!
cdinbonds

Post by cdinbonds »

Is the motor directly coupled to the sprocket, or are there gears in between? My guess is there are reduction gears to control the travel speed, which also multiplies the force applied. That 1/2 hp motor, when run through a 3 to 1 reduction would be capable of lifting 825 lbs. 1 foot in 3 seconds. The reduction may even be higher than that, given the speed most openers run. The reason I say lifting is that if I recall my physics classes from so very many years ago, the definition of horsepower involved lifting the weight, so as to eliminate frictional forces. It is possible to build low speed high torque motors for purposes like this, but I don't know if it is cost effective. It is probably cheaper to use a higher speed motor with a gearbox. The majority of small electric motors designed for 60 cycle use in the US run at either 3600 or 1800 rpm because it is easy to design and build.

If there is a reversing mechanism, it probably requires a very solid resistance. I almost seem to recall there being an adjustment for this, but I may be mistaken. I do recall some sort of test to verify it works, but don't remember specifics.

Oddly enough, a properly balanced overhead door requires very little effort to raise and lower manually, so if there are gears, they are there strictly for speed control.
There's a fine line between cuddling and holding someone down so they can't get away.
The beatings will continue until morale improves.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons - for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.
Shannon SteelSlave

I remember when my friend was driving a truck into his garage with a stack of lumber on top. We drove in, the "close" button was pressed, but the lumber was not all the way inside, hanging out the door. The chain kept feeding, and the door ended up on top on the wood. If this door had a safety mechanism, a loss of resistance should have triggered a reverse operation.
Bondage is like a foreign film without subtitles. Only through sharing and practice can we hope to understand.
👠👠
Blacky

Post by Blacky »

Shannon SteelSlave wrote:I remember when my friend was driving a truck into his garage with a stack of lumber on top. We drove in, the "close" button was pressed, but the lumber was not all the way inside, hanging out the door. The chain kept feeding, and the door ended up on top on the wood. If this door had a safety mechanism, a loss of resistance should have triggered a reverse operation.
On most garage door openers I know the safety reverse is intended only to prevent the door slamming into or pushing through things/people. Thus it will only reverse if there's excessive resistance, not if there's a loss of resistance.

For the definition of hp: I'm not too familiar with imperial units, thus I'll use metric ones. :wink:

1 hp roughly equals 735 W.
1W = 1J/s with 1J being 1Nm, this yields
1W = 1Nm/s

1N is the amount of force needed to accelerate a mass of 1kg to the speed of 1m/s within 1 second. So a 735W Motor provides enough power to accelerate 735kg to a speed of 1m/s in 1 second.
All of these accelerations take place horizontally, btw. Furthermore it neglects any and all such real life problems as friction, efficiency factors, you name it.

As far as that salvaged motor is concerned: Whatever you'll end up doing with it, if you attach yourself to it, you might want to add some kind of safety release into the link. I'm currently thinking of some kind of elastic band, that would reduce the initial torque on your sensitive bits (or whatever you attach to the gear) and would break within a safe (but painful) load.
In essence: have fun, play safe and tell us all about it. :hi:
If the doors of perception were cleansed everything would appear to man as it is, infinite. (W. Blake)
xt

Post by xt »

Gang,

I have not set aside the time to disassemble the unit and see if it is geared inside...nor am I quite sure I could determine this visually, even if I did peek. The unit is pretty heavy, which suggests there may be extra machinery in there, although it is also 25+ years old so that may just be the materials available at the time of manufacture.

Point is, I think, that even if it is *not* geared, we are still looking at 1/2hp so 275 lbs. of pulling power, with which I believe CDinB has concurred. There are a handful of ways that a healthy human can provide 275 lbs. of resisting force, but NOT if the sensitive bits are part of the equation. So Blacky's got the right idea to use some sort of breakaway link, and/or at least an elastic connection that would allow the "attachee" to "catch up" a bit, w/o major damage to said bits, if he or she were to fall behind the pace.

But even bigger news only just occurred to me earlier today, and I don't even know what triggered it. By turning the unit on its side, such that the sprocket's rotational plane is perpendicular to the ground (as on a bicycle), we can create a piston-like device, using the spinning motion to drive a stroking or f*cking machine. Yes, I only have one drive speed available, but by playing with the length of the rod attachments, I believe I could control both the cycle and depth of the stroke. It wouldn't be infinitely variable, nor even adjustable on the fly, but that's what experimentation is for!

*This* will definitely take some time to investigate, but I will report back...
OrgasmAlley

Post by OrgasmAlley »

Just a warning on that one... and any other use, for that matter. Motors used in a garage door opener are very likely to be designed specifically to that task. The primary impact for you is the motor's duty cycle. The motor is designed to start, move a load that's within a fairly narrow range (balanced garage door) for a brief duration (six seconds?) and then stop. There's probably external braking or position locking... the opener needs to hold the door securely in either position, but especially closed.

This motor is not likely to be capable of moving the designed load for more than about a minute at a time without overheating, and probably going into thermal protection (or not, it's old). That would be someone running their door up/down/repeat five cycles. You might be able to run it longer, and perhaps much longer, with a lighter load. Or you might not. It's definitely not going to produce the rated output for a whole lot more than the duty cycle at which that rating was measured, and it's not goign to be a good motor choice for a sex machine.

If you are interested in building a thrusting machine, I stock a number of new and used gearmotors, and also sell a ranger of parts for builders. Site isn't very complete yet as I just had to replace it in a hurry... orgasmalley.com

Yes, it's bound to be geared down. A typical AC motor in the US will turn at either 1800 or 3600 RPM. Taking #35 chain as an example, a 10T sprocket directly on the shaft of a motor turning 1800 RPM moves roughly 12 feet of chain per second.
Shannon SteelSlave

I think it might do a world of good if you could tell us the manufacturer and model number, if possible.
👠👠