Timer Locks - The Experts panel

Ideas and instructions how you can make your own bondage toys.
Blacky

Re: Timer Locks - The Experts panel

Post by Blacky »

Shannon SteelSlave wrote:Not that I am officially endorsing these, but someone has attempted an improvement. https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/6961405 ... op-3&frs=1
I'm not quite sure whether destroying the PCB link to the reset button and putting some glue onto the screws really is an improvement, Shannon?! :?
If I recall correctly, these locks tended to fail due to the batteries running out of power and then not opening anymore?
In such a scenario not being able to open the lock by resetting it seems even less safe to me.

If used with the necessary backup though, I admit that the "new" version prevents cheating better than the original one did.

Just my 2ct,

Blacky
If the doors of perception were cleansed everything would appear to man as it is, infinite. (W. Blake)
Shannon SteelSlave

Post by Shannon SteelSlave »

Attempted an improvement. I don't plan to buy and compare notes. The heart shaped buttons aren't worth it.
Bondage is like a foreign film without subtitles. Only through sharing and practice can we hope to understand.
A Jedi uses bondage for knowledge and defense, never for attack.
I am so smart! I am so smart! S-M-R-T!....I, I mean S-M-A-R-T!
👠👠
celine 13006

Post by celine 13006 »

Hello all.
- First sorry for my bad english.
- Second, be very carreful with this electro padlock.
It's just happen to me:
I was handcuffed in front, just a normal day without Mistress, for our home duty and without another release method/system.
Suddenly, the paddlock vibe and flash !
I think Mistress made a wrong timer programation !
No, the paddlock just "die"... I was in safe position, no hogtied, no danger... Just stuck !
I have to wait and wait and wait Mistress return tomorow.
Fortunately it was very easy to cut.
So now, bye bye electro-paddlock, return to ice fall, more secure and ice always melt.
Have fun and stay safe
Attachments
cadenas.jpg
Shannon SteelSlave

Thank you for your input, Celine. This thread may have started with 3 writers, but it has become a great go-to for people thinking about purchasing or using these locks, thanks to people like you.
Bondage is like a foreign film without subtitles. Only through sharing and practice can we hope to understand.
👠👠
celine 13006

Post by celine 13006 »

Shannon SteelSlave wrote:Thank you for your input, Celine...
Your welcom.
gogglestars2

Post by gogglestars2 »

There are 2 ways to open this lock (short of cutting cable, permanent destruction, or screwdriver) I've found. As someone mentioned, perhaps I shouldn't mention the exact methods here.

Does not fail safe is an understatement. If battery dies, you've got to charge the battery enough, and then set it to 1 minute timelock to get it to (after a minute) run the motor the right way.

Also doesn't draw enough current (or have proper circuit design) to charge properly with many modern USB chargers. I could only get it to charge by plugging it in to my computer.

This refers to the first version of the lock, I don't expect the newer ones to fix the basic mechanical design flaws.
Shannon SteelSlave

gogglestars2 wrote: Also doesn't draw enough current (or have proper circuit design) to charge properly with many modern USB chargers. I could only get it to charge by plugging it in to my computer.
Thank you for that. I had always used a computer port to charge mine. If you're counting on anything else to plug into in order to power it enough to set the time and have it release 1 minute later, you may be left in trouble. And it wouldn't even be your fault, as I hear these come shipped with batteries that may be recycled, defective, at any rate, questionable condition.
Ruru67 recommends daisy chaining 2 to cut down the chances of total failure. I also recommend never leaving your hands bound in a way that prevents you from having to use force on the locks.
I believe we are up the 3 designs. Here is the 3rd : https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/6961405 ... op-3&frs=1 Not sure if they use batteries from a better source. A good DIYer could replace the battery with a fresh, trusted unit
Thanks again, gogglestars2. I would like to hear from anyone who has used the 3rd design. (the one with the hearts)
👠👠
Sergio

Post by Sergio »

I had one with a faulty battery that would die as soon as it was taken off charge, and although I tracked down equivalent replacement batteries they were about 2/3 the price of the padlock itself. Got a refund from AliExpress (after great persistence) and ordered elsewhere.
ruru67

Re: Timer Locks - dealing with failure

Post by ruru67 »

Just a note on there. I had one whose battery had failed, and I tested what happens if you twist the cable. I latched it around another padlock, and twisted until it broke. Getting the twist started takes a bit of oomph, but once you have the cable twisting around itself, more twists don't require a huge amount of effort - the lock body gives you all the leverage you need to put a fearsome amount of force on the latch and cable mounting.

I wasn't sure what would break first - the latch, the crimps on the cable, or the plastic anchoring the fixed end of the cable. In my case, the cable came out of the crimp at the fixed end, and the latch let go, pretty much simultaneously, separating the cable from the lock body completely. So I'm reasonably happy that in extremis, the lock can be destroyed if it fails. Here's what the wreckage looked like:
IMG_0466.jpg
Note that the latch actually seemed OK afterwards - apart from some strain marks on the inner side of the housing, nothing appeared to have broken and it seemed to operate normally. The marks are hard to see, but note that under strain the twisted cable was pulling basically at right angles to the latch and attachment holes on each side.

There are some caveats to this as an emergency escape method:
  • You do need to be able to get a good grip on the lock to and be able to twist it, which could be difficult if only one hand can reach it, or it's only just in reach.
  • The lock needs to be attached to something that will hold the other end of the twist.
  • Doing this puts quite a bit of force on whatever is holding the other end of the twist - if it's a buckle with a locking tang, there's a good chance that you'll twist off the tang or otherwise damage the buckle - this will probably still get you out. But if it's locking a flexible strap, it's going to twist the strap, and depending on the width, stiffness et c you could twist the strap quite tight before you can get enough force to part the lock.
So YMMV; I'd definitely consider this a "Plan C". Plan B for me is usually to arrange things with two locks such that only one need release to escape - that may be using two "in series" to some kind of tether or two keys to the "primary" lock secured separately by timer locks, or one release allowing access to tools cut oneself out. That approach doesn't solve the question of early release in emergency.