Warning about Ring Cameras

Tell us about your latest, greatest, best, worst or simply funniest bondage/selfbondage/chastity/CD experience. Only true stories please!
Shannon SteelSlave

Warning about Ring Cameras

Post by Shannon SteelSlave »

A popular cell phone accessible camera system is prone to hacking. The company is Ring Cameras. Their cameras not only allow the user to see into their home, but can also speak through it. Just look up the search "ring camera hack" on google, and you can see just how spooky this exploitation can be. One hacker wanted to prove that not only had they seen what they seen, but knew where they were, and ordered a pizza sent to that house, which probably facilitated blackmail.
I am mentioning it because if you have any in your home, you may want to use old school methods to blind them. Someone who is so inclined can hack any specific or random camera system. There are ways to purchase passwords from professional hackers, who have made a business of selling access if they happen upon people exhibiting interesting behaviour. Do we know anyone like that?
Stay safe everyone. Shannon SteelSlave approves this message.
Bondage is like a foreign film without subtitles. Only through sharing and practice can we hope to understand.
A Jedi uses bondage for knowledge and defense, never for attack.
I am so smart! I am so smart! S-M-R-T!....I, I mean S-M-A-R-T!
👠👠
bound_jenny

Re: Warning about Ring Cameras

Post by bound_jenny »

There was a news story of late that reported precisely that kind of hacking, into a private home's security system. The hacker could see, hear and speak over the security system to the home's occupants, making their lives a living hell. It got to the point where the homeowner completely disconnected the security system when the harassment got really bad.

Moral of the story: anything connected to a network, especially the Internet, can and will be hacked. Your own technology can be turned against you by someone with a dubious sense of humor or even of highly malicious intent.

Jenny.
Helplessness is a doorway to the innermost reaches of the soul.
If my corset isn't tight, it just isn't right!
Kink is the spice of life!
Come to the Dark Side - we have cookies!
thatthat21

Post by thatthat21 »

Yes, also any thing like cameras, cell phones, alexa, google's home thing, homepod, smart TVs, smart lights, all that kind of stuff, should be on it's own wireless network that is not con the same ones as your computers. If your smart TV gets hacked and they can access the network it is connected to, makes it really easy to get into computers on the same network. I know I break this rule my self mainly because it is nice to have some of the device able to work with each other. But there are somethings, and others that just get guest wifi access and that is it off on their own little wifi network.
sweh

Post by sweh »

Here's the thing.

There was no Ring Camera Hack.

There were users who re-used the same username and password for the ring camera as they used on other web sites.

Over the years there have been far too many sites broken into, where the passwords weren't properly hashed, which meant that the password could be discovered. These lists are purchased cheaply, and attackers will do a "credential stuffing attack" against a service. Even if 0.0001% of account/passwords work, that's a lot.

And that's what happened with Ring.

The lesson is to use unique passwords for each web site, each service. Don't use your boundanna username/password for your security system!
thatthat21

Post by thatthat21 »

sweh wrote:The lesson is to use unique passwords for each web site, each service. Don't use your boundanna username/password for your security system!
Very True