Hey, can I ask you something?

This is where you can introduce yourself to the other forum members. Do not be shy, we are all here for the same reason. (You do not have to introduce yourself if you don’t want to.)
Bound Whore

Hey, can I ask you something?

Post by Bound Whore »

Although I've been around the forums for a little under a year now and have interacted with some of you, I think this subforum is the most fitting.

Do you think my username is offensive/misogynistic?

I have to admit I chose it on a whim and it caters to the submissive side I discovered around the time I joined, so I only apply it to myself. Personally I'd never refer to another woman as a "whore" (unless she explicitly asked me to during play).

Does it put you off?
I'd really appreciate some feedback.
Last edited by Bound Whore on 25 Apr 2022, 19:55, edited 1 time in total.
Life's too short to pretend you're not into some kinky shit.
Shannon SteelSlave

Re: Hey, can I ask you something?

Post by Shannon SteelSlave »

I am a little put off. But its impact has probably lessened as the term ages.
Do you have another name in mind? You can ask Anna for a name change. Just PM her with the email address you signed up with and your new desired name. You might check the member index to be sure it is not currently in use..
Bondage is like a foreign film without subtitles. Only through sharing and practice can we hope to understand.
A Jedi uses bondage for knowledge and defense, never for attack.
I am so smart! I am so smart! S-M-R-T!....I, I mean S-M-A-R-T!
👠👠
OrgasmAlley

Post by OrgasmAlley »

Personally, it is obviously in the form of self address and I feel someone can call themselves whatever they'd like.
kinbaku

Post by kinbaku »

I have no problem with your name. You just have to see if it still covers the load, in other words do you still feel like the submissive slave of men (and other women)?

Although I personally think that the whores are the psychological assistants who offer help to society. Last year here in Belgium there was even a whole series of TV programs in which both female and male whores could tell their story. This is in response to giving them a full employment status so that they do not run into problems in the event of illness or their pension.
I'm just against the exploitation of some whores. They must be able to perform their job on a voluntary basis.

Keep in mind that not everyone has the same thoughts about this and that some may take offense. I experienced the same when I dressed up as a pastor to show my magic. Most people found it enjoyable and laughed at it, but I have come across a small number of people who have called it sacrilege.
Shannon SteelSlave

Well, BW, I offer the same attention to any name around here. A rose by any name, and such......... Where I am from though, whore is a derogatory term, usually creates a negative tone in a conversation or gathering. You may use any name you wish, I am not offended. It just sounded a little like you might not like it anymore, hence the information on how to change it.
Bondage is like a foreign film without subtitles. Only through sharing and practice can we hope to understand.
👠👠
Bound Whore

Post by Bound Whore »

Shannon SteelSlave wrote:Well, BW, I offer the same attention to any name around here. A rose by any name, and such......... Where I am from though, whore is a derogatory term, usually creates a negative tone in a conversation or gathering. You may use any name you wish, I am not offended. It just sounded a little like you might not like it anymore, hence the information on how to change it.
Yes, it's the negative connotation in some cultures (mine included) that irks me a bit. See, Kinbaku (as a Belgian, a neighbouring country) uses the term as a synonym for sex worker, apparently without a second thought, it appears to be generalized there.

I feel it still describes the tone I want to set for this particular part of me (although it's currently overshadowed by my top/dom/rigger traits, but that could be subject to change again), I just don't want to be part of the problem where others feel uncomfortable online.

I'll ponder this some more, but I will probably contact Anna or one of the mods
Shannon SteelSlave

Anna is the only one of us who can change names.
👠👠
Bound Whore

Post by Bound Whore »

Shannon SteelSlave wrote:Anna is the only one of us who can change names.
Noted. Feel free to remove the thread.
bound_jenny

Post by bound_jenny »

I don't see a problem. You use it as a self-descriptive, so no one else has grounds to feel offended, other than for the sake of being offended (and that crowd can be offended by a fly on a yellow wall).

Your nick is yours, no one else's. Own it. Be proud of it.

Jenny.
Helplessness is a doorway to the innermost reaches of the soul.
If my corset isn't tight, it just isn't right!
Kink is the spice of life!
Come to the Dark Side - we have cookies!
kinbaku

Post by kinbaku »

Bound Whore wrote:Feel free to remove the thread.
In normal usage, whore has the negative context here, which is why the term social worker is sometimes used. But it's been changing lately and "whore" only has the negative context when used that way too.

So, especially when you've given it to yourself, I don't think there's anything wrong with it. That is why this text may continue to exist. It can help others who have the same questions.

In any case, let us know what your new name is if you change it. Of course if you want this yourself.