On the premises of bondage, self or otherwise.

This is the place where you can share your thoughts on selfbondage with like minded people.
mrsm

On the premises of bondage, self or otherwise.

Post by mrsm »

So I've been a member for little less than twelve hours and through briefly looking at the forum discussions I suppose I should say that I have in slight revised my reason for joining. I had stated that I was interested in participating in self bondage in ways which were economical yet stimulating, however, I also wish to philosophize about the premises of this activity.

I'm sure many people have opinions about it--just a note: if I'm out of line in bringing this up because it exists as some sort of unspeakable taboo let me know, I'd prefer not to offend anyone-- but I digress.

Skipping the unneeded--inaccurate--Freudian analysis of how my mother may have held me to long or my father didn't support my baseball team; bondage in general is most definitely the objectification of oneself. Although it has strong sexual overtones: by making oneself an object, the complexity of human sexuality is reduced simply to pleasure. It is also accurate to say that this happens often. If not in terms of sexuality, then there is still a primordial need to reduce oneself to basic instincts: this is why in vacationing people fly thousands of miles to hike along the beach and lay in the sun. There is something deep within the lobes of our cognizance which requires our escape from an immense reality. This, bondage accomplishes quite nicely.

I begin this way because I've read some of the posts and have been taken aback by the assumption of perversity. Bondage is perverse simply if your a Catholic, and even then biblical literature contains instances of "bondage." If sexuality is not perverse, and escapism is similarly not so, then why is bondage considered to be such taboo.

Perhaps it is the humiliation which the bottom 'assumeadly' experiences that causes the assumption of perversity, "surely one who is willing to be humiliated is perverse," but it seems to be quite simply, a mindset. If it was truly humiliating and truly torturous there would be no pleasure to be gained from any masochistic activity.

So, bondage...masochism, seems to be simply ones objectification, escape, vacation. And self bondage is of course all of this except perpetrated by oneself, upon oneself: the ultimate switch. One begins as the sadist, devising the 'torture,' the 'humiliation,' the restraints; and whence upon one is locked in the position of...submissiance, by their own accord they become the masochist. The ultimate power exchange, one is the creator or their own torment, which is so poetically aberrant--being in control by being controlled.

Its reasonable to assume that if one must relinquish their control of their sexuality to satisfy a primal urge to vacate ones normal senses, then conversely one must also take control of their sexuality to remain actualized. In self bondage, as was aforementioned, a single person is all of 'judge, jury and executioner,' of the delicacy of their sexuality. In bondage proper, the top controls themselves not only by objectification of the bottom but also by the ability to control in a situation of vulnerability.

I say this obviously that sexuality is vulnerability itself, and this perhaps I say this in an ideology of old-fashionedness, but how many people are willing to submit themselves to someone they don't know intimately--not only sexually.

I'd certainly like to know others views on this.

And if I'm out of line, step on my balls, I'd definitely enjoy it ;)
bound_jenny

Re: On the premises of bondage, self or otherwise.

Post by bound_jenny »

I'll put my view about perversity in simple terms: I'm proud to be a perv. If it wouldn't be perverse to someone somewhere, where's the fun? :mrgreen:

Oh, for stepping on your balls, will five inch metal stiletto heels do? :hi:

Jenny.
Helplessness is a doorway to the innermost reaches of the soul.
If my corset isn't tight, it just isn't right!
Kink is the spice of life!
Come to the Dark Side - we have cookies!
Kronopticon

Post by Kronopticon »

you say that sexuality is vulnerability, and i think you're very right about this, especially seeing as many people try and turn their vulnerability into their strength and ambition.

A natural reaction for some, seeing as many are afraid of their weaknesses, their vulnerability, it seems logical to be proud of being able to submit to your own desires and weaknesses, a celebration; if you will; of the wonderful purity of human sensuality.

I like being all philosophical.... :oops:

hehe, nevermind heels anyway, im sure i've got some knife play that will do just as well :twisted:
http://fetlife.com/users/209924 <- My Fetlife Page
"If you're enjoying it, that means you're doing it right."
irlscot

Post by irlscot »

Interesting thoughts. Don't normally analyse everything in as much detail, but part of me made me think of a film I watched a few years ago - 'Preaching to the Perverted'. The part I thought about was a scene where the main characters' deepest, darkest fantasy was a traditional White wedding. I know lots of women who still hold this fantasy idea, but who has the right to tell us what is perverse or not if we are consenting adults?
I've been doing some form of BDSM for almost 20 years - so to me it's quite the 'norm' - and referring to an earlier post from lj, we each have our own kinks - and we should respect that - if only the 'outside' world saw it that way too....oops - another fantasy!!!
lj

Post by lj »

You aren't offending anyone or any taboos by discussing the philisophy behind bondage and "kink" in general.

I would perhaps take issue, as an atheist ! in your invoking the Catholic Church as the arbiters of perversity. That seems to be too narow a target, though I can only speak of UK attitudes as they are the ones with which I am more familiar. Perversity seems to be a vague term that can cover pretty much any activity that would be considered abnormal by a majority of any given population.

Unfortunately, there is a huge difference between what people will openly admit to, and what they actually do in private. I suppose I am as guilty as any in that. In a 'nilla setting, I am very unlikely to admit to my kink life, whilst with my kink friends I will discuss anything, however intimate. As a result of this dichotomy, the general population will apparently consider anything perverse that does not fit into this loose characterisation.

I can understand Jenny's view that she enjoys her kink as much as anything because it is considered perverse, there is perhaps a feeling of superiority that you are doing something "naughty" and this often manifests itself when two or more kinksters are in a 'nilla setting and will raise the occasional eyebrow when an inadvertantly perverse comment is made in all innocence. My Lady and I had something along those lines, last night at a 'nilla dinner, when someone started joking about using a riding whip on someone. Needless to say both our eyebrows were raised :lol:

Bondage, specifically, does indeed involve complete surrender to whoever put you into that situation, be it another or yourself, even though great efforts are made to ensure release. I would go a little further, and say that a BDSM scene is a direct analogue of a holiday (vacation for you guys over the pond :lol: ) in that for a few minutes or hours you are completely released (now that is perverse) from reality. I know that as top or bottom, the focus is so great that reality does drift away. And it's a lot cheaper and greener than going several thousand miles to walk on a beach!

I was going to move onto "humiliation" and its part in kink, but I think I'll leave that for another time.

Anyway, to the OP, thanks for bringing an intellectual argument into the forum, most interesting
be a switch, double the fun :-)