Cheap electric timer

Ideas and instructions how you can make your own bondage toys.
Jadit

Cheap electric timer

Post by Jadit »

Just thought to mention there are very cheap (max 24h in what i saw) timers in local stores. Today i met similar to this image, price was around 5 euro:
only that it was half the size of that with the timer wheel put around the plug place.

There were 2 versions of the device. One for garden/outdoors and one for indoors. You can simply plug it in the wall and set timer. When it runs out it stops the power. It can be used to for example safely ensure that power is turned off before going to sleep etc.

For selfbondage i don't yet know much variations. But what i can imagine:
1) Timer that turns lights off after say 30 mins and you have to get out before that or you won't see a thing until morning or something.
2) Somekind of electromagnetic lock that will open once the timer runs out. I don't know how you could do this taking into account power that comes from house's plugs is quite strong. Under no circumstances can you let that electricity get in touch with yourself.
Derek

Re: Cheap electric timer

Post by Derek »

you can plug in a step down transformer into the 120v mains powered timer.. which will give you a DC current... I have an adjustable one for misc things like computer speakers and what not.. but 9-12 volts is what I run to my electromagnet..

one fun thing I've done with the electromagnet is I mounted it on the floor in my closet.. Above it is a very strong hanging bar, and there is an eye bolt in the ceiling outside the closet. I set the timer so the electromagnet is on.. then attach a rope ratchet to the release part of the magnet. Both the piece of rope go over the hanging bar, the end that you pull to tighten is attached to a 15lb weight. The other end goes threw the eye bolt in the ceiling and has a loop on it, which gets connected to wrist cuffs.
Its a bit of a trick to get it all setup with the right lengths of rope.. but you have to get the weight hanging near the bar.. while keeping pressure on the other piece of rope so the weight doesn't fall.. while making your way under the eye hook in the ceiling... Once your locked in and you put any slack in the rope.. the weight will drop tightening the rope holding your hands.
With this setup you don't have to worry about a magnet falling from the ceiling hitting you in the head... I usally leave the keys to the locks on my cuffs on my collar/nipple clamps or the floor.. just out of reach makes it more fun I find. You can do this with your hands behind your back so it pulls them upward forcing you to bend over. Or with your hands attached to your lower back in some form.. you can attach the pulling rope to an elbow coil. And to make it very fun.. you can use a spreader bar between your ankles.. and in the middle tie a rope that can go to a crotchrope or CBT device.. but tie it tight enough so it forces you to keep your knees bent... once your legs begin to tire and you want to try to straighten them.. you put pressure on your genitals and the rope takes up the slack pulling your arms upward keeping you in that position.... I also have a pillow on the floor under the 15lb weight.. so when it drops.. it lands on the pillow instead of my floor..

just my random thoughts of the day... :rofl:
Dark_Lizerd

Post by Dark_Lizerd »

I also seen similure timers at Walmart for about $4.00
All advice is checked, re-checked and verified to be questionable...
Don't ask, we both wont understand the answer...
http://www.mediafire.com/download/09dtr ... e_V2_2.exe Not just for nubies any more...
onestrangeguy

Post by onestrangeguy »

Derek wrote:you can plug in a step down transformer into the 120v mains powered timer.. which will give you a DC current... I have an adjustable one for misc things like computer speakers and what not.. but 9-12 volts is what I run to my electromagnet..
I'm not really sure, but I doubt that you would want to plug your 120 volt step down transformer into his Finish power. I'm guessing they run on 220 volts.
There's a fine line between cuddling and holding someone down so they can't get away.
Derek

Post by Derek »

onestrangeguy wrote:
Derek wrote:you can plug in a step down transformer into the 120v mains powered timer.. which will give you a DC current... I have an adjustable one for misc things like computer speakers and what not.. but 9-12 volts is what I run to my electromagnet..
I'm not really sure, but I doubt that you would want to plug your 120 volt step down transformer into his Finish power. I'm guessing they run on 220 volts.
ah righto. other side of the world... in Canada out mains are 240v coming into the house.. but our outlets are knocked down to 120v.. with the exception of some 240v outlets for washers or stoves and high current devices. he'd have to find the appropriate step down transformer for his volts/outlet style to knock power down to 9-12v DC current
cdinbonds

Post by cdinbonds »

Gee, I wonder if it's possible that the appropriate transformers would be readily available in his own country? :roll:
There's a fine line between cuddling and holding someone down so they can't get away.
The beatings will continue until morale improves.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons - for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.
Jadit

Post by Jadit »

cdinbonds wrote:Gee, I wonder if it's possible that the appropriate transformers would be readily available in his own country? :roll:
No i think they're selling Canadian transformers here :twisted: I'm not exactly sure what i'd be looking for in the stores but i can try.

But yeah.. i read a bit about step down transformers and i guess as long as the device is made and used with only that specific kind of voltages there shouldn't be issues. Some had little bit of his house smoked after using such device in other country and coming back home with it. Had burnt the coils inside the device and didn't afterwards step down anything.

I also read about electromagnetic coil and how such could be handmade but i'm still a little doubtful about going through that. I'm not an engineer in this stuff... Are there ready magnet coils or devices i can use? Even if i'd start with just a simple finger-size battery (what would that do?).

If you would have much more detailed hints on how to go for magnetic lock i'd appreciate.
nitro
Retired Moderator

Post by nitro »

onestrangeguy wrote:
If it is a newer version of the old wall transformer, some of us refer to them as wall warts, it may be a switching power supply. Many of these are designed to run on 110 or 220 and 50Hz or 60Hz input. The particular power adapter should have the rated input and output on the case. I have used many of these with an output of a few amps at 5, 12, 24VDC etc.

Examples:
http://www.mpja.com/prodinfo.asp?number=18427+PS
Input: 100-250 VAC 47-63Hz
Output: 12VDC @ 3A
18427.jpg
18427.jpg (7.83 KiB) Viewed 4066 times
http://www.mpja.com/prodinfo.asp?number=18457+PD
Input: 120 VAC 60Hz
Output: 12VDC @ 1.3A
18457.jpg
18457.jpg (7.1 KiB) Viewed 4066 times
nitro
Retired Moderator

Post by nitro »

For your magnetic lock you can try eBay. Are you looking for a strong hold (ie as Derek mentioned) or a small key holder/release?
If you are not into eBay, Smarthome has some reasonable prices. Here is a biggie...
http://www.smarthome.com/77395/Enforcer ... 200/p.aspx
12VDC or 24VDC power keeps heavy-duty magnetic lock closed, holds 1200lbs (544kg)
77395.jpg
77395.jpg (7.04 KiB) Viewed 4065 times
redone

Post by redone »

I gotta be honest, I kind of like the idea of 1200 pounds of pressure keeping me from moving or getting away. :wink: This could be used in so many different ways.
Jadit

Post by Jadit »

I went and bought that small timer plug, and to my surprise it didn't work how i imagined...

Well first try with the device was with my table lamp. Put cable in and scrolled the wheel - thing is that in most timer positions the lamp was off, but in 2 sections of timer wheel lamp turned on. This means that the device can be used for both, turn power off after some time or turn it on!

The timer wheel is divided in 24 hours. There is carved 2 "holes" in the wheel indicating zones that power is on. First zone is 1.5 hours and second one is 30 mins, and starting at 9h and 17h. So 22 hours of the day it keeps power off. Pretty weird little bugger...

And i think it will keep ticking continuously on and on. It makes some quiet buzzing sound with its clock mechanics spinning inside.
Dane

Post by Dane »

@jadit

If it works like the ones I have had, and it looks like exectly the same, you can specify the time intervals yourself.

The holes you talk about, are are small pins that are pushed down. Each hour is divided in 4 pins, each 15 minutes (Think I have seen some only divided in 2 pins each 30 minutes)

So, you set the actual time at the arrow, and then push down the pins with a nail or pen at the time intervals you want to turn power on.
chasteed

Post by chasteed »

Don't these timers come with instructions?
Jadit

Post by Jadit »

Sorry i couldn't find picture of it with google anywhere. Anyway, it's solid plastic wheel with no pins. It's not customizable and it came with only 1 instruction picture - turn the wheel... haha. But still, the principle it works with is better than i hoped for and it allows playing with combination lock (start in dark, let you see numbers when lights turn on). Maybe slightly too annoying buzz to sleep with. (tried on the bedside lamp)

About magnetic locks again, i didn't consider sums like 50e+ to it and most seemed to exceed 100. Not to mention prices on transformers. Another thing against it is how i'd put it together. Woodworking here is out of question.
Derek

Post by Derek »

you can just use an old transformer from around the house.. from 9-12 volts output works good... and just get some of that ribbon steel.. it comes in a coil and has a hole every half inch or so... I can't think of its name right now.. but just bend some of that to fit over the ends and screw it to something.. floor, wall... back of an old chair..