leatherwork help

Ideas and instructions how you can make your own bondage toys.
cheap_sb

leatherwork help

Post by cheap_sb »

So I would like to make something like this: http://www.leatheretc.com/Merchant2/mer ... t_Count=32

Before I go out on my own to try and make this I was curious if any of you have any experience to share with leatherworking, I remember at least one of you guys is good with this stuff.
onestrangeguy

Re: leatherwork help

Post by onestrangeguy »

This sort of thing was recently discussed. I don't know that any of us claimed to be any good at it. :?
Your project certainly looks simple enough, and I'm sure that I've seen all the supplies and tools required for this in my local hobby lobby store. You may not find this particular item in kit form though. :wink:
There's a fine line between cuddling and holding someone down so they can't get away.
cdinbonds

Post by cdinbonds »

I don't claim to be an expert, but I have made my own stuff, some of which can be seen in the "show us your projects" thread. So's here's what I can offer.

You probably have a Tandy Leather store in your area (you can check on their website).

You can get a package of remnants, which you can check the contents of before buying,and find one with a piece of leather the right size.

You will need a hole punch, and something to cut the leather to the right size and shape. A utility knife can work for that, or scissors if the leather isn't too heavy. You may also want to put eyelets in the lacing holes, so you will need an eyelet setting tool and eyelets.

If the leather is not the color you want, you will need deglazer to prep the leather, dye, and leather finish, if you want a shiny look (and maybe to prevent the dye from rubbing off or getting on clothes).

If this is your only project, you will spend as much or more to make it yourself as to buy the finished product. You can get a pretty good estimate by checking the prices on the Tandy website. If you intend to make other stuff, you can spread the cost of the tools over those and reduce the per item cost somewhat, but be aware that leather is not cheap, and you will need other supplies and tools for other projects. The real reason to make your own is for the custom fit, and custom features you can incorporate, and for the satisfaction of being able to say you made it yourself.

Good luck!

PS You might also want to check out this site. Has some projects with directions to make, and some helpful hints in the projects of how to do some things.

http://www.saroftreve.com/workshop/projects.shtml
There's a fine line between cuddling and holding someone down so they can't get away.
The beatings will continue until morale improves.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons - for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.
TimberBeast

Post by TimberBeast »

Either wet the leather before you work it or break it in by rolling a bakers rolling pin over it (wetting it makes it stiff afterwards), it's more supple there fore easier to work.
For further info, review profile: [ TimberBeast ] on Collarme