epdm rubber sheet for sleepsack/vacuum sack?

Ideas and instructions how you can make your own bondage toys.
TNTBound

epdm rubber sheet for sleepsack/vacuum sack?

Post by TNTBound »

i found you can get a 1/16" x 36" x 72" sheet of epdm rubber for only $25 shipped. using two of them should be able to make a nice sized sleepsack or vacuum sack, but my question is on how strong it would be compared to latex, and if it would tear easily is the main concern. anyone have any experience with epdm rubber?
For those that get it, no explanation is needed. For those that don't, no explanation is possible.
"Some men just want to watch the world burn" - i can relate to this more and more the older i get!
bound_jenny

Re: epdm rubber sheet for sleepsack/vacuum sack?

Post by bound_jenny »

Read the EPDM Properties section here: :arrow: https://www.thomasnet.com/articles/plas ... -and-uses/

Jenny.
Helplessness is a doorway to the innermost reaches of the soul.
If my corset isn't tight, it just isn't right!
Kink is the spice of life!
Come to the Dark Side - we have cookies!
Riddle

Post by Riddle »

I am not sure what EPDM rubber is or anything about it. However, seeing 1/16” thickness tells me it is thick for a rubber sheet. Most rubbers that thick will not stretch anything close to the thin latex you know. I am extremely concerned that it will not stretch enough to allow the chest movement required for breathing and will end with an obituary. Please be careful and cautious.
Resident timer maker. :hi:
Let’s make timers together!
TNTBound

Post by TNTBound »

Riddle wrote: 06 Nov 2023, 13:29 I am not sure what EPDM rubber is or anything about it. However, seeing 1/16” thickness tells me it is thick for a rubber sheet. Most rubbers that thick will not stretch anything close to the thin latex you know. I am extremely concerned that it will not stretch enough to allow the chest movement required for breathing and will end with an obituary. Please be careful and cautious.
1/16" is equal to 1.57mm. there are vacbeds using 1mm latex, and from everything i have read, epdm rubber is not as strong as latex is, but i'll be able to test it once it arrives. when i make it into a vacuum sack, it will have a zipper as a closure, that should allow for air entry inside for a less tight fit, unless i use an air tight zipper for a dry suit. i have also seen some vacbeds using pvc or vinyl sheeting, and that has nearly zero stretch, so i cant imaging this would be worse that that. and this is also exactly why i was asking if anyone had experience with this particular rubber material.
For those that get it, no explanation is needed. For those that don't, no explanation is possible.
"Some men just want to watch the world burn" - i can relate to this more and more the older i get!
Gregovic

Post by Gregovic »

For anything industrial related, first port of call is always the SDS (Safety Data Sheet). While probably not exactly the same material, it'll get you close enough. For instance here: https://www.missionrubber.com/wp-conten ... rubber.pdf
While no toxic effects, what IS listed:
Skin Contact: May cause mild skin irritation with repeated contact
Irritation/Corrosivity: Data My cause skin irritation with repeated contact. No other effects known

So might not be the best choice for prolonged full body contact.

some others list similar concerns. Whether or not this is down to abrasion properties (and thus mitigated by using a lubricant) or not I don't know, but one other property of EPDM is that its not resistant to petroleum products, so some lubes or oils might damage the material too. I'm also not sure how well it resists skin oils and sweat.
How may I serve you? *Curtsey*
Riddle

Post by Riddle »

TNTBound wrote: 07 Nov 2023, 00:28
Riddle wrote: 06 Nov 2023, 13:29 I am not sure what EPDM rubber is or anything about it. However, seeing 1/16” thickness tells me it is thick for a rubber sheet. Most rubbers that thick will not stretch anything close to the thin latex you know. I am extremely concerned that it will not stretch enough to allow the chest movement required for breathing and will end with an obituary. Please be careful and cautious.
1/16" is equal to 1.57mm. there are vacbeds using 1mm latex, and from everything i have read, epdm rubber is not as strong as latex is, but i'll be able to test it once it arrives. when i make it into a vacuum sack, it will have a zipper as a closure, that should allow for air entry inside for a less tight fit, unless i use an air tight zipper for a dry suit. i have also seen some vacbeds using pvc or vinyl sheeting, and that has nearly zero stretch, so i cant imaging this would be worse that that. and this is also exactly why i was asking if anyone had experience with this particular rubber material.
My apologies for not being helpful with my post. Thank you for sharing your understanding and proving my safety concerns unnecessary.
Resident timer maker. :hi:
Let’s make timers together!
cdinbonds

Post by cdinbonds »

EPDM is one of a number of sheet "rubber" or vinyl products used for roofing, generally on large commercial or industrial buildings. It is quite strong, and can be glued together with the proper adhesives and processes. Never seemed like it was super flexible, or maybe pliable would be the better word. It obviously has some flex and can be shaped to conform to all sorts of roof obstructions, just not a soft, clingy feel.
There's a fine line between cuddling and holding someone down so they can't get away.
The beatings will continue until morale improves.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons - for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.
Peter Sub

Post by Peter Sub »

Gardening equipment shops sell 'rubber pond-lining'. It's actually EPDM. The quality I've once bought there is a bit thinner, and may be more suitable for a vac-bed. Although I was planning to try that myself, I haven't been able to spend time on this project yet, so I can't tell about experience. I'm aware you asked for that, but anyway.. I can only say it feels like good stuff for this. EPDM smells different then latex, kinda nice smell but it's not the 'rubber' smell many people like.
TNTBound

Post by TNTBound »

im actually hoping for less of a stretchy feel, as i want it to be quite restrictive, but even .4mm latex is nearly completely immobilizing under a vacuum so im hoping this will be even better.

as to the chest movement issue, that is more from sand or dirt than anything, as once your buried and then breath in, it allows room for the sand to fill the area where your abdomen sucked in, and after a while, there will be no more room to breath. a vacbed is a completely different animal, as the rubber, latex or other sheet material will stretch enough, and/or stick to the surface its vacuumed to and not be an issue. i have used a plastic sheet tucked along the side of the waterbed i had a while back and vacuumed the air out and it was also fine. i'll likely do a test on it anyways for a very short time and have my hands near the neck seal to break the seal in case there is an issue, but im 99% sure it should be fine. another precaution, would be to hold a full breath as a vacuum is being pulled, so the rubber sticks to your skin at full breath capacity. with a tight vacbed over a frame, it will stretch the material out and compress around your body a bit, like my .4mm latex vacbed does. this epdm rubber i plan to use like a vacuum sack without a frame. i also know to not make the neck seal to tight from a fellow kinkster dieing from that (RIP Matt from kink engineering).

in the meantime, until the epdm rubber shows up and i can make the vacsack, i have a schrader valve ready to glue onto my existing .8mm sleepsack and will use that with my vacuum pump, a wall timer, and a motion sensor for an outlet. should be a fun time once i get that setup as well!
Kinbaku

Post by Kinbaku »

TNTBound wrote: 09 Nov 2023, 02:38 ... and a motion sensor for an outlet. ...
If it is possible to adjust the sensor, first do a test to set the correct sensitivity.
I once did something where I had to stand still in front of a sensor, but the sensor was TOO sensitive.
Shannon SteelSlave

Post by Shannon SteelSlave »

kinbaku wrote: 09 Nov 2023, 07:12
If it is possible to adjust the sensor, first do a test to set the correct sensitivity.
I once did something where I had to stand still in front of a sensor, but the sensor was TOO sensitive.
Try not to upset the sensor.....
Bondage is like a foreign film without subtitles. Only through sharing and practice can we hope to understand.
A Jedi uses bondage for knowledge and defense, never for attack.
I am so smart! I am so smart! S-M-R-T!....I, I mean S-M-A-R-T!
👠👠
Kinbaku

Post by Kinbaku »

Shannon SteelSlave wrote: 09 Nov 2023, 08:22
kinbaku wrote: 09 Nov 2023, 07:12
Try not to upset the sensor.....
It was upsetting me! :mrgreen: I could barely breathe and then it gave me electric shocks. :whip: :twisted: :rofl:
Just a little too much of a good thing. :oops:
TNTBound

Post by TNTBound »

the sensor is adjustable for time only, has one minute, 5 minutes, 10 and 15. there are different modes on it as well for dusk to dawn, motion and the like. i will have it connected to a timer, so the most it will operate will be determined by the timer.
Kinbaku

Post by Kinbaku »

Maybe you can play with the distance between your vacuum bed and the sensor. My problem was probably that I was only 1 meter (3 ft) away from the sensor. Afterwards I did not try again with other distances. :oops:
TNTBound

Post by TNTBound »

i had such a fun time with my modified neck entry sleepsack setup for vacuum, that i probably dont even need to make another, but i already have the material on the way, so its going to happen. i was SO immobilized with my .8mm sleepsack, i cant even imagine how restrictive this 1.5mm rubber will be in a vacuum.

the sensor worked fine for me on the counter near my bed when using my vacuum sleepsack. i thought the sensitivity was just right, not so sensitive that the pump stayed on because i was breathing, but sensitive enough that a good wiggle was enough to turn it on or keep it going.

here is the sleepsack with the glue on schrader valve in place.