Sound activated switch

Ideas and instructions how you can make your own bondage toys.
Amos101010

Sound activated switch

Post by Amos101010 »

My idea is to install a microphone in a gas mask connected to a selenoid valve to turn on and off the air supply
ideally with the off time increasing each time it is triggered and a short rest time before it can be triggered again
All I seem to find with google are clap on clap off switches
Any help/suggestions would be appreciated
Gregovic

Re: Sound activated switch

Post by Gregovic »

Not to be "that guy", but I feel I've got to be " that guy". That sounds like a very dangerous idea.
What you ask is possible but it doesn't sound like a very good idea if you have to ask about the basics...
Do you plan to have someone watching and checking at all times? Do you plan to have a maximum "air blocked" time? Do you plan to have this fail open so you can breathe if power to the valve is lost?
How may I serve you? *Curtsey*
Shannon SteelSlave

Post by Shannon SteelSlave »

Hate to pile on, but I have to say that it is not a good idea to play breath games by yourself. You could get caught in a hyperventilation episode. Your brain does not say "mother may I" when it needs air, it opens everything up and tries to grab it no matter what. Maybe some kind of game that has you holding your breath voluntarily to accumulate enough time to release something, and with a timed back up (set for hours) that releases your bonds whether or not you hold your breath? Good luck and play safe, ok?
Bondage is like a foreign film without subtitles. Only through sharing and practice can we hope to understand.
A Jedi uses bondage for knowledge and defense, never for attack.
I am so smart! I am so smart! S-M-R-T!....I, I mean S-M-A-R-T!
👠👠
Amos101010

Post by Amos101010 »

Just wondering where in my post did I mentioned solo play ??
@ Gregovic It was in my mind about a max off time and the selenoid valve I had in mind does fail open, both are valid points
everyone has to start somewhere with the basics, I am not a coder or a board builder and thought I could get help here
LockedDummy

Post by LockedDummy »

@Amos, youre on a self-bondage forum. The fact that your post exists here implies solo play.

@EveryoneElse, I can empathize with Mr Amos. He didnt ask for a safety lecture. What he does with his own time, and what risks he intends to take are his business. Just because you can imagine what *could* happen doesnt mean youre obligated to prevent it.

If the mods decide that posts involving breath play dont fit the board's intended subject matter, or is risky to their business model, then its on them to shut down discussions like this. Its not anyone elses responsibility.

Sounds like Amos has his shit together and doesnt need to be treated like a baby. And even if he didnt have his shit together and was doing something completely moronic....let him.
Adventures of an oppressed dummy....
https://lockeddummy.home.blog/

Twitter @LockedDummy
Gregovic

Post by Gregovic »

@Amos, as mentioned by LockedDummy, this is a self bondage forum. There's also a lot of visitors that don't really think these sorts of things through and DO intend to do it solo. Solo breath play is something we strongly discourage due to the risks. (Personally I'd discourage breathplay in general, but if it's between responsible consenting adults, you do whatever the hell you feel like :mrgreen: )

The thing with these sorts of questions is that, being an open forum, we have to be really careful about the advice we give and the things we tell people. A little knowledge can be a dangerous thing and I know I would feel like absolute shit if anybody ever got hurt because they took advice I gave them and misinterpreted it or simply ignored it when I tried to warn them. Which is why I ALWAYS start of with the safety questions and the "have you really though this through" probing.

Now if you really want to follow through with this (And again, I personally don't think it's a good idea), I would take an arduino (Something simple, like a Nano, or Uno would suffice), use an electret microphone (Simple modules like this are cheap and easy to use) and hook this up to a Normally OPEN!!! solenoid valve. You'll probably need something larger than 1 inch to be able to breathe normally when it's open. Maybe even 2 inch. Valves that large are not cheap unfortunately and not something you can easily DIY (Chinesium example). Normally Open (often shortened to NO) means that when the valve is unpowered it is open and lets air through. Most valves like this are Normally Closed and require power to remain open. This is not what you want in an application like this, so pay attention.

Now I'm sorry, but I'm not going to help with the actual code or how to hook it up for the aforementioned reasons. I don't think it's a good idea, I don't think you should do it and I don't know you or your human backup to verify that you know what you are doing. Providing any more help than just the general tips I just gave simply wouldn't sit right in my mind. I hope you can understand. There's plenty of tutorials out there on the internet on how to program an Arduino and make basic stuff work. You should be able to figure all of it out on your own. If you can't you really shouldn't be messing around with a project like this. I would never even contemplate using something like this with code written by someone else that I didn't know or couldn't fully understand and verify myself.

Edited for splelling errors..
Last edited by Gregovic on 06 Apr 2019, 11:07, edited 3 times in total.
How may I serve you? *Curtsey*
Shannon SteelSlave

Amos, we appreciate you checking with us on this. I don't want to discourage ideas of any kind from being asked about, and I feel really bad when I can't find a safe way to do it. You are very intelligent to handle it like this, and listen to us, mainly Gregovic. I hope we can help you with a good idea someday, something unique and creative. You seem like the type that will think of something. And we can help then. So let's have fun with it.
Bondage is like a foreign film without subtitles. Only through sharing and practice can we hope to understand.
👠👠
bound_jenny

Post by bound_jenny »

Shannon SteelSlave wrote:I don't want to discourage ideas of any kind from being asked about
I agree - this forum's function, to a great extent, is a forum to share knowledge and to ask more experienced members about anything, even something potentially dangerous, and to get answers from all the friendly :hi: folks here.

Jenny.
Helplessness is a doorway to the innermost reaches of the soul.
If my corset isn't tight, it just isn't right!
Kink is the spice of life!
Come to the Dark Side - we have cookies!
lj

Post by lj »

LockedDummy wrote: or is risky to their business model,
there is no business model !

Anna set up and generously keeps the site running at her own expense. The ads you see are not paid-for, they are simply there for mutual benefit.

As to the electronic control of breathing, personally I wouldn't even consider the idea, and I'm a professional Electronics Engineer. As has been said, people come to this site primarily as it is a self-bondage site, and that implies solo play. People have a tendency to believe what they read on the web, and those lacking suffcient knowledge could easily think something they read, however potentially dangerous, is OK because they found it on the web.

We comment on ideas, and will continue to point out potential risks. If you read the intro page, this is a guiding principal of the site.
be a switch, double the fun :-)
Blacky

Post by Blacky »

OFF TOPIC:
LockedDummy wrote:... He didnt ask for a safety lecture. What he does with his own time, and what risks he intends to take are his business. Just because you can imagine what *could* happen doesnt mean youre obligated to prevent it.

If the mods decide that posts involving breath play dont fit the board's intended subject matter, or is risky to their business model, then its on them to shut down discussions like this. Its not anyone elses responsibility.
While I agree with you saying that it's not our obligation to take care of the safety of anybody, who's asking for potentially lethal advice, it is most certainly common practice on this board. If you take the time to dig through some of the older posts you'll find lots and lots of posts where members, not neccessarily mods, clearly stated such thoughts.
However that does not mean that we consider those asking as unable to detect potential dangers. Most likely those asking have put enough thought into their ideas to detect such risks befor asking, anyways.
BUT: How many of those just reading have put any thought into it?
I am probably one of those people you accuse of treating people "like a baby" or "not having their shit together".
Mabe they have, maybe not. I don't care for that!
I do care for the safety of those reading, as far as that is within my capability.
And I will most certainly continue doing just that, because I feel it is right to care for others.

... And even if he didnt have his shit together and was doing something completely moronic....let him.
Not if it can be avoided (see above)!

ON TOPIC:

While I totally agree with what has been said before in terms of fail-safety by design I'd like to add a little something. Please, if you absolutely insist on creating this mask, DO NOT rely on just one solenoid. I've seen both NO and NC- types get stuck closed. So please, if you build this device, include redundant and completely independent secondary systems that work alongside the primaries at all times! You may want to make sure that the system evaluates it's own state at any given time as well, including error reporting!
Please be aware that you're planning a system that is, by default, potentially lethal.

Thanks for reading and kind regards,

Blacky
If the doors of perception were cleansed everything would appear to man as it is, infinite. (W. Blake)
LockedDummy

Post by LockedDummy »

@Blacky you're laying the virtue signaling on pretty thick. I can still see right through it. I'm not about to believe that you, or anyone else in this thread is really concerned for the safety an anonymous internet stranger. If you were, you'd be crusading through every bit of the web informing people of the dangers of eating Tide pods. Just be honest, you want an opportunity to flex your knowledge and pat yourself on the back for being such an informed expert.

Just for fun, go find a forum about boating. How many threads have a poster asking a question, and then a forum regular shows up and says "ZOMG, you didn't say anything about life jackets, you really shouldn't be boating without those"

How about a hiking forum. Tons of threads start with "I'm going to hike Mt XYZ". Zero threads where someone chimes in and says "ZOMG, Don't hike alone!!"

People buy guns every day. It's up to the buyer to use it safely, or not. You'll never see a gun retailer say to a potential buyer "These things are really dangerous, you shouldn't buy one"

@Gregovic is doing pretty much the same thing. He says "solo breath play is something we discourage". Who the fuck is "we". Exactly what collective are you proposing to speak for?

And the rest of his last post was extra shitty. "Ok here's the first three steps, but I'm not gonna tell you the rest because you're not smart enough to do it, and if you fuck up, I'll feel bad. Aren't I such a moral virtuous character? Thank me for being so smart and saving you from your stupid self!!!!!"

God damn this whole site sucks.

Don't bother banning me, I'm outta here.

Twitter @LockedDummy
Shannon SteelSlave

We must encourage safety. If the police bust into someone's house and finds them dead in a predicament, coupled with a computer left on with a browser open to this site, it would put the site is serious jeopardy. That reason alone makes it our responsibility.
Locked Buddy, you are wrong about caring. Some of us have made some real connections on here, and do care for one another.
Having someone post a safety warning to a thread is not something most original posters want, neither do the warners enjoy doing. The fact is, many people lose some ability to think of every angle when in kink mode. I do not expect to be thanked by anyone for saving their life, but know I am doing the right thing. Both morally and by the guide lines of the site.
It was good to know you, Buddy. I hope you do find a site that fits you better. Thanx for giving us a try. :hi:
👠👠
Blacky

Post by Blacky »

I probably shouldn't, but I'll dig through this bit by bit anyways:
LockedDummy wrote:@Blacky you're laying the virtue signaling on pretty thick. I can still see right through it. I'm not about to believe that you, or anyone else in this thread is really concerned for the safety an anonymous internet stranger. If you were, you'd be crusading through every bit of the web informing people of the dangers of eating Tide pods. Just be honest, you want an opportunity to flex your knowledge and pat yourself on the back for being such an informed expert.
I never claimed to be interested, concerned for, or in any other way connected to the safety of every randomly chosen someone who happens to have access to the internet. I am however interested in the safety of the not so randomly chosen members of the group "individuals with access to the internet" who happen to be part of the community formed by this forum, may they be active (posters), semi active (registered members, but non-posters) or just readers.
And to be honest, as you requested: If I were trying to find a place to flex my knowledge I would most likely stick to other topics. Physical chemistry would probably be rather high ranking on that list.
And while I happen to have a rather decent amount of knowledge about physical chemistry, I wouldn't consider myself an expert at it. Pretty much the only thing I'd consider myself to have expertise in is being myself. Plus I don't actually pat myself on the back. I leave that for others to do, should they see it fit.
Just for fun, go find a forum about boating. How many threads have a poster asking a question, and then a forum regular shows up and says "ZOMG, you didn't say anything about life jackets, you really shouldn't be boating without those"
You're not going to be surprised that I second the notion of not going out boating without a life jacket, are you?
And why exactly should I go find a forum featuring boating? I don't enjoy it that much. I guess I haven't been on a boat for more than 10 times in my life, including ships.
But well, should I, for whatever reason, happen to go there and ask a question, I'd be grateful if some experienced, informed and caring individual pointed me at the inherent dangers and at possible ways to deal with them. That obviously includes the importance of life jackets. It should not need to be mentioned, but obviously enough there is need for it though.
How about a hiking forum. Tons of threads start with "I'm going to hike Mt XYZ". Zero threads where someone chimes in and says "ZOMG, Don't hike alone!!"
See above.
People buy guns every day. It's up to the buyer to use it safely, or not. You'll never see a gun retailer say to a potential buyer "These things are really dangerous, you shouldn't buy one"
Neglecting the inherent danger of guns and my opinion on their availability altogether, I still have to say that this example doesn't support your case the least bit. No one asked for advice on gear they were about to buy.
And you surely dont want to hear my opinion on the safety-issues of building a homemade gun. No, honestly, you don't want that!
@Gregovic is doing pretty much the same thing. He says "solo breath play is something we discourage". Who the fuck is "we". Exactly what collective are you proposing to speak for?
Yes, Gregovic is doing just that. And he's probably doing it for the same reason as I am. And for the same damn reason that a whole lot of other members, including mods, if you need them to be mentioned, did so on other threads covering the same basic idea.
Which, by the way, should give you a hint at who the hell "we" are. "We" are those members caring for others. "We" are those, who hate to read of avoidable lethal accidents yet again. "We" are those, who had enough opportunity to see, or read, of "experts" and experts dying, because they failed to use their brains in what was to become their last hormon rush.
And the rest of his last post was extra shitty. "Ok here's the first three steps, but I'm not gonna tell you the rest because you're not smart enough to do it, and if you fuck up, I'll feel bad. Aren't I such a moral virtuous character? Thank me for being so smart and saving you from your stupid self!!!!!"
If the OP is smart enough to make this project work, those pointers are enough to have a basis from which to start. If the OP isn't smart enough to figure it out from there, said OP is either not able or not interested in putting enough time and/or thought into the project. As said project threatens either OPs' life or that (those) of his victim(s), there should be plenty of interest to invest enough time and thought to maintain a maximum level of safety. If either time or thought are not available in sufficient amount, it is probably better to leave the project unfinished. Thus there's no need and basically no justification for a complete walk-through or a complete how-to.

As I said before, I don't pat my own back. I also haven't seen Gregovic pat his anywhere on this forum. I have however seen others pat both his and mine. And I won't hesitate to step forward and pat his. And all that not for being a "moral virtuous character", but simply for doing what I consider to be the right thing. In this case that means to point out risks, emphasizing dangers and stating opinion prior to pointing at a possible way of accomplishing what is/was intended.

Furthermore none of us (again, the same "we") has ever asked or demanded to be thanked for any advice we shared here. We are more likely to be ridiculed, accused or attacked than thanked. I guess the others forming aforementioned "we" are aware of that prior to posting such advice as well as I surely am. There is however nothing among being ridiculed, accused or attacked that could keep me from stating my opinion on whatever I feel I want to state it on.

Additionally I do not consider anyone asking for advice as stupid. Stupidity would show itself in being underinformed and NOT asking for advice. I might consider some of the activities and some of the projects discussed on this forum as "stupid". Some of those projects have likely been mine. I was saved from making these mistakes by warnings, that other caring forum members here stated. But none of them could have stopped me from making those mistakes, had I decided to ignore their warnings. None of us has the power to safe s.o. "from [their] stupid self". I am well aware of that. But some OPs will probably at least take their time to reconsider the dangers inherent to their ideas. Those are amongst the people I address my warnings to, as are the unseen readers who never post and maybe never join.
God damn this whole site sucks.
Someone recently reminded me of this: "Liberty of opinion starts where the opinion stated isn't your own". This is a perfect example for that.
If the doors of perception were cleansed everything would appear to man as it is, infinite. (W. Blake)
LockedDummy

Post by LockedDummy »

Shannon SteelSlave wrote:If the police bust into someone's house and finds them dead in a predicament, coupled with a computer left on with a browser open to this site, it would put the site is serious jeopardy.
That's not even close to true.

Twitter @LockedDummy
LockedDummy

Post by LockedDummy »

Blacky wrote:I probably shouldn't,
Yeah, you shouldn't have. To save myself time, just take everything I've already said to you, and multiply it by 10

Twitter @LockedDummy