Different Candle Release

Ideas and instructions how you can make your own bondage toys.
Pinkbottom

Different Candle Release

Post by Pinkbottom »

I'm sure someone else has though of this, but I haven't seen it.

I took a wire clothes hanger and bent it into a key hanger. The key hangs over a small lit tea candle. I place the wire hanger out of reach and while I can reach the key, I can't touch it till the candle goes out.

The nice part is, if the candle goes out by accident you just get out early. You're not trapped.

You can also use a partially used candle to 'time' the session to a point.

Seems to work fine for me.

Pinkbottom
Nightguy

Post by Nightguy »

And what stops you from putting out the candle when you want out?
ken1985

Post by ken1985 »

Nightguy wrote:And what stops you from putting out the candle when you want out?
good question, but it's nice if you suddenly need to get out of bondage.
bound_jenny

Post by bound_jenny »

If you're gagged, it will be harder! :)

Personally, I don't like release mechanisms that use a flame, but this one looks safer than the usual burn-the-string solution. Because of their low center of gravity, tea candles can't fall over unless they're pushed (a bit of double-sided tape can solve that) and you can even choose one that smells nice! Since the release works when the candle goes out, you don't get stuck. The metal support and the key itself cannot catch on fire.

I like it.

Jenny.
Helplessness is a doorway to the innermost reaches of the soul.
If my corset isn't tight, it just isn't right!
Kink is the spice of life!
Come to the Dark Side - we have cookies!
Pinkbottom

Post by Pinkbottom »

I'm sorry, I didn't explain enough. My night table sets low enough that I can't possibly blow the candle out.

I can't even reach the candle as it sits just low enough to be out of reach. I can only reach the key.

I suppose some could use there hand to fan the candle out, but I can't.

The drawing isn't that good. The key actually sets several inches above the flame, which is still close enough to get way too hot to touch.

I don't tape the candle down, but I do use a small stone tea candle holder. I'm not sure if that matters much though so I didn't try to draw it.

I also put a book on the key holder base, but I don't know if that's really needed either. Just makes it seem more secure.

Thanks for your comments.

Pink
Pinkbottom

Post by Pinkbottom »

I tried to draw a better picture. I should also say that I use this for spread eagle bondage, but I think it could be used for other things too.

Pink
bound_jenny

Post by bound_jenny »

I got the gist of it with the original drawing, but the second one makes the context clearer.

I still like it. It's ingenious! 8)

Jenny.
Bound&Helpless

Post by Bound&Helpless »

It may be just me but dont you think flames / fire being involved in SB is a bit dangerous?
bound_jenny

Post by bound_jenny »

Bound&Helpless wrote:It may be just me but dont you think flames / fire being involved in SB is a bit dangerous?
In most circumstances, yes. As I put in a previous post (if you read it), I don't like release devices that rely on flame. They can go out, and if you don't have an emergency release, your goose is cooked. Or, in the case of a standard candle, it can fall over and set fire to something flammable. Or whatever you intend to burn through to gain release will start the fire.

In Pinkbottom's rig, the candle in question is a short, stubby thing that can't fall over (in addition to his stone holder which adds even more weight and lowers the center of gravity even more, and stone doesn't catch on fire either).

Plus, the release depends on the candle actually going out, so it can't snafu there. The only thing that burns is the candle. No string to burn through or anything like that. Oh, you could burn yourself, if you're desperate enough to get the key while the candle is still lit.

Finally, everything within the reach of the flame is metal, and metal cannot catch fire (unless its pure magnesium?).

With this rig, you would have to do something really stupid to start a fire, i.e. intentionally put something flammable near the flame, or put the rig near something flammable, like drapes or something. And if anyone is dumb enough to do something like that, they deserve to be barbecued.

I still stick to my trusty clock rig, but I would not be adverse to using Pinkbottom's.

Sure, the risk is not totally zero, but in SB (and everthing else), there is no such thing as a zero risk of something screwing up. And if something does screw up, it is usually because of improper precautions (in simpler terms: something really stupid).

Anyone looking for a zero risk activity is a) massively deluded and b) a bit out of place in SB.

Jenny.
Pinkbottom

Post by Pinkbottom »

Thanks for your spirited defense Jenny. I agree with you on all points.

I gave this a lot of thought and about the only things I could ever come up with would require a complete act of stupidity.

And even there I agree with Jenny. If you die by a complete act of stupidity it thins the herd and makes the world a better place for everyone else.

I am however happy to listen to any particular risks with this method that anyone might have in mind. It's certainly possible I missed something.

Pink
ken1985

Post by ken1985 »

Nightguy wrote:And what stops you from putting out the candle when you want out?
Would a gag prevent you from doing so?

I know there are other methods, but those are probably as painful as getting the key right away
bound_jenny

Post by bound_jenny »

I am always on the side of logic and common sense.

Indeed, it would do a lot of good to clean up the gene pool a bit (OK, maybe a lot...). Natural selection!

Is it me or do a lot of people who post replies in a thread rarely read the other replies before going ahead?

Jenny.
curious_sb
Retired Moderator

Post by curious_sb »

Wouldnt the key get hot? What if you burnt your fingers on the key? Sorry just an observation.
Curious_SB
Retired Forum Moderator
Pinkbottom

Post by Pinkbottom »

Wouldnt the key get hot? What if you burnt your fingers on the key? Sorry just an observation.
Yes, it gets very hot. This is not a conventional release. This release doesn't actually 'release' the key per say. Instead it 'prevents' you from touching it until the candle goes out.

Once the candle goes out, give it a minute or two to cool (I always count to 200 just to be sure) then you can safely grab it and use it to free yourself.

I suppose I should point out that you should only use a 100% all metal key. No plastic or rubber on it.

Most keys are small enough that they will cool down in a minute or less, but as always, test it first!

Pinkbottom
Grinser

Post by Grinser »

and make sure the key has cooled down before touching it... not only will you burn yourself if it is not, you might also accidentally throw it out of reach by reflex if burned.
There is a beast inside man that should be exercised, not exorcised.