Reliable, high load, easy release system

Ideas and instructions how you can make your own bondage toys.
AssTechWarrior

Reliable, high load, easy release system

Post by AssTechWarrior »

This may be old hat for some here but it is something that anyone with a few bucks and some sewing skills can build.

It's called a 3 ring release. Often used by skydivers to released a fouled chute so the ones for sale are pricy but the design is simple.

It looks like you need some flat nylon webbing, 3 metal rings of increasing size and a grommet as well as a bit of thread and a short piece of smaller nylon.

Wiki entry with gif:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3-ring_release_system

Video of one releasing under load
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AItz8GcYx60

Could use an ice drop weight to pull the release or just about any other technique
Sir Cumference

Re: Reliable, high load, easy release system

Post by Sir Cumference »

~ Leatherworking, blacksmithing , woodworking and programming are the most pervertable skills you can learn! ~
Gregovic

Post by Gregovic »

I was going to post about not needing metal rings for all of the loops. Sir Cumference beat me to it (as usual :wink: , I'll put it down to great minds thinking alike). Even in parachutes nowadays the top (smallest) loop is usually a fabric/webbing loop. Because it wears less on the closing wire and thus makes it more reliable.
How may I serve you? *Curtsey*
AssTechWarrior

Post by AssTechWarrior »

I decided to build Sir cumference's rope and wood version. It worked well and can be made easily.

Used 4mm paracord, 5mm drill bit and a piece of pine wood
finished first
finished first
Note the cotter pin for a release. You could use anything smooth, I had these
2.jpg
Support hole across board, 2 holes for each loop.
3.jpg
4.jpg
Stretch and tighten loop before drilling holes for next loop
5.jpg
AssTechWarrior

Post by AssTechWarrior »

Locate holes so the rope has slack or release can be harder
6.jpg
Make 2 or 3 longer loop then one very short loop with vertical holes for the release pin
Here is a 25 pound weight hanging on it, release is easy, maybe a pound or 2 of pull on string

Now for scenario setup:
hang on hook and attach weight to ring and the end of a slider type tie down strap so the strap will tighten when the wieght falls down
7.jpg
Here it's the tie down on the right attached to the weight. The tie down on the left is for the arms, the loose hanging end gets locked onto cuffs, the other end goes to the weights in the last picture.
a sock with 3 ice cubes will be used in place of the clip for a release mechanism on both arms.
8.jpg
Other end of the tie down goes to a chain threaded through another hook. When the weight is released, the chain will pull towards the hook and won't let it go out. Perfect to loop around one leg and lock into place
9.jpg
For my arms, I used another pair of tie downs and sock based ice releases to pull the arms tight.
each ring will have a sock with an ice cube threaded through it then tied to the chain. when that's there, the clip is removed and it tightens when the ice cube melts.
10.jpg
Key to the chain locks is on an ice lock hung above the 'victim'
AssTechWarrior

Post by AssTechWarrior »

About to test it out...
11.jpg
You can't see the string stretched in front betweeen the 2 cotter pins for me to release the leg weights once all the locks are closed and slack on arms taken up

It worked very well

a couple things to watch, if you dont let the weight reach the ground the chain will pull your leg all the way to the hook and that might be uncomfortable.

One normal ice cube in a mens athletic sock at room temp takes about an hour to release a 15 pound weight.

3 cubes in the sock holding the smaller loop of the arm stretch tie down came free after 2 hours with some tugging.
Sir Cumference

Post by Sir Cumference »

Nice!
~ Leatherworking, blacksmithing , woodworking and programming are the most pervertable skills you can learn! ~
Gregovic

Post by Gregovic »

I happened to come across this post again today while idly browsing the forums and I do have one small note to add about the metal rings vs rope "rings".

The traditional 3-ring device as designed for parachutes with the metal rings relies mostly on the mechanical advantage each ring provides. When closed each ring provides a mechanical advantage as a second class lever to reduce the apparent load on the release pin. The rope loops however do NOT provide the mechanical advantage to nearly the same degree, instead it's mostly the added friction on each loop that reduces the apparent load on the release pin.

So why is this distinction important?
1. If the rope is slightly slippery the loops can creep and the load on the pin can increase over time. This could lead to the release working fine after 1 hour but jam shut after 3. And this effect could get worse over time as the rope wears in. Be sure to test the device for an extended time to make sure this doesn't happen. Especially modern materials like nylon are susceptible to this. Cords like Paracord with an outer mantle and an inner core can also settle like this.
2. Because the release on a relies on hight friction a LIGHT load might not be sufficient to get it to release. Don't count on this method to reliably drop only a pair of keys. Test it with whatever load you are going to put on it BEFORE you use it.

(For those interested the steel rings version of the 3-ring device has the opposite problem to number 2 where it can work loose if it is NOT loaded. In parachutes this is solved by there being enough friction in the release pin and cord to stop it working loose while donning the chute and moving around.)

This is just FYI and do with this information as you please. My engineering brain just kicked in. Call it an occupational mental health issue if you will :mrgreen:
How may I serve you? *Curtsey*